Author Topic: Anyone watch the ESPYs??  (Read 18879 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Anyone watch the ESPYs??
« on: July 17, 2006, 12:51:09 am »
Just curious, I saw a very short clip.... of a really bad joke Lance Armstrong made about Jake and that was it  :-\ .  Anyone see the rest? 
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
Re: Anyone watch the ESPYs??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 08:28:21 am »
 :-\  oops, well I meant to but forgot that they were on last night.....................
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:58:45 am »
I watched the whole damn thing.  In retrospect, I should have just fast-forwarded through a TiVo'ed version later - man, some of the filler was nearly as inane as the crap on the MTV Movie Awards.  Pretty much the same inane people being inane, too.  I think I must be one of the three people on the planet who finds both Ben Stiller and Will Ferrell profoundly unfunny.

There were two lame jokes about Jake/Brokeback at the beginning, actually.  He took it very well, as he always does - maybe because it was coming from Lance and they're friends, that helped?

I was irritated all night about it - still am a little - but then I thought, you know what?  Go ahead and make your jokes.  It only serves to illuminate further that we have a real problem accepting homosexuality in this country.  We all know that, of course, but there are still way too many who don't.  I used to envy men - really envy them, i.e., I really wished I were one.  Not anymore.  If you're straight and the least little bit insecure, you're constantly having to prove it, and if you're gay, you feel compelled to hide a large part of yourself - the very essence of yourself, really - because so many dumbass mules can't accept you the way you are.

I can wear pants every day, men's boots, cut my hair short, whatever, and people won't go around whispering that I must be a lesbian (not that there's anything wrong with that ;)).  But God forbid you're a straight man who - :gasp: - can actually admit you enjoyed a love story concerning two men without making a joke about it.  Or even mention it by name on television and not make a joke about it.  I give my husband major snaps for not only recommending the movie but defending it, which he did last night to friends, as a matter of fact, when we were having dinner at their house and talking movies, without having to "cover" himself by making a joke about it.  And for being almost as irritated as I was that Lance said that crap.

I hate to, but I'm sure you're all wondering what he said, so I'll tell you.

In the beginning of the show, he was pointing out all the athletes and stars who were there and he goes, "We even have movie stars here.  Fresh off his Oscar nomination for 'Brokeback Mountain,' Jake Gyllenhaal is here.  (Flash to Jake, looking outrageously gorgeous as always.)  What are you doing sitting in the front, Jake?  I thought you liked it in the rear."

::)

(For the record, Jake threw his head back and laughed in that lovely way of his, but not without a sense of irony and a head-shake as well.)

Then, a minute later, he goes, "And the Sexiest Man Alive - Matthew McConaughey - is here.  Don't strain yourself turning around to look at him - we all know what he looks like.  Eyes front, Jake."  At that point, Jake smiled but looked at Lance and shook his head like "I'm gonna get you for that, Armstrong."

What seemed like many hours and infinite inanity (because it really was) later, Jake presented the award for Best Sports Moment.  When he came out, he was holding Terrell Owens' book "T.O," about which they'd previously joked had a "bunch of gay stuff" in it (I think he talks about the down low in it or something), as if he's reading it and mumbled something like, "There IS a lot of gay stuff in here."  But then he shook his head at the audience and kind of rolled his eyes and said, "I'm gonna let the beginning of the show go" (as if to imply "THIS time").

His presentation of the award was lovely.  It was actually well-written (it almost seemed as if it were something he'd really say - like he wrote it himself), and I was thrilled but not surprised to see that the winner was Jason McElwain, the autistic boy who scored six three-pointers in two minutes at the end of a basketball game in my hometown of Rochester, NY (Greece, actually) last year and brought the whole crowd out on the court because it was the first time he had ever gotten to play.

So it was ultimately worth it to watch the whole damn thing (well, up to that point, anyway).  But I'll tell ya, the more I watch these silly award shows, the less I want to continue to (that's our conundrum for the day, kids).

Aren't you *so* glad you asked, Mandy?  ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 02:25:57 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 09:37:39 am »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 09:48:30 am »
Yeah, I figured he'd run it by him first.  I hoped so, anyway.  And it was certainly a better joke in and of itself than any of that lame-ass stuff they did at the MTV awards (not to mention that they didn't run that by him first).

He took it very well and it didn't get under my skin nearly as much as Dennis Quaid's thing at the SAG Awards did, but I can't help but be irritated that there's any need for it at all, ya know?  Thasall I'm sayin'...

Actually, my favorite slam, so to speak, of the monologue was what he said about Bode Miller.  He says something like, "And speaking of inspirational, Bode Miller actually showed up tonight... sober."  The guy is such a jerk (and had slammed Lance in the press previously) that one really didn't bother me a bit.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:34:17 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 10:28:57 am »
This was posted on IMDb by jpseacadets regarding the Espy jokes -

"Dennis Quaid did the same tasteless thing at the Golden Globes. When will it end? Teasing can lead to greater insults.  Just ask any homosexual who went through high shool the victim of such taunts. Words have consequences. Words can lead to aggressive behavior.  This is often how violence starts."

Another point that was made - would it be acceptable to make racially specific jokes about Crash?  Did anyone see any on Leno, Letterman, etc?

While a superviosr @ my job made gay/Brokeback jokes with a goup of guys (& me), I specifically asked if it would be acceptable for me to make racial jokes.  He said definitely not.  So I asked what made him think it was ok to make gay jokes.  That was the last I heard any from him.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:33:02 am by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 10:45:50 am »

In the beginning of the show, he was pointing out all the athletes and stars who were there and he goes, "We even have movie stars here.  Fresh off his Oscar nomination for 'Brokeback Mountain,' Jake Gyllenhaal is here.  (Flash to Jake, looking outrageously gorgeous as always.)  What are you doing sitting in the front, Jake?  I thought you liked it in the rear."

God, that's an awful joke!  >:(

BTW- Did Jake look as tired as he did at the MTV awards? Did anybody else think he looked tired there? Not that that takes away anything from his gorgeousness...  ;)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 10:50:05 am »
Aren't you *so* glad you asked, Mandy? 

You bet  ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the blow by blow, I didn't get to watch it and all I could find was that clip posted here.  I'm glad Lance ran the joke by Jake first, but it still kind of seems like Jake didn't think he was really going to say it based on his reaction... oh well, I guess I should really have come to expect this by now! Doesn't keep me from thinking "are you kidding me?" every time though.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 10:52:26 am »
God, that's an awful joke!  >:(

BTW- Did Jake look as tired as he did at the MTV awards? Did anybody else think he looked tired there? Not that that takes away anything from his gorgeousness...  ;)

He did look tired at the MTV movie awards, and also just a little annoyed... but I think he had flown in from New York the morning it was taped, so maybe just jetlag.  I only saw a very small clip of last night, but he didn't look tired to me... just very very yummy  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 11:12:55 am »
I only saw a very small clip of last night, but he didn't look tired to me... just very very yummy  :D

Oh my, yeah, WHAT IS UP WITH THIS GUY????  :P :) ;)