Author Topic: Anyone watch the ESPYs??  (Read 18996 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Anyone watch the ESPYs??
« on: July 17, 2006, 12:51:09 am »
Just curious, I saw a very short clip.... of a really bad joke Lance Armstrong made about Jake and that was it  :-\ .  Anyone see the rest? 
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
Re: Anyone watch the ESPYs??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 08:28:21 am »
 :-\  oops, well I meant to but forgot that they were on last night.....................
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:58:45 am »
I watched the whole damn thing.  In retrospect, I should have just fast-forwarded through a TiVo'ed version later - man, some of the filler was nearly as inane as the crap on the MTV Movie Awards.  Pretty much the same inane people being inane, too.  I think I must be one of the three people on the planet who finds both Ben Stiller and Will Ferrell profoundly unfunny.

There were two lame jokes about Jake/Brokeback at the beginning, actually.  He took it very well, as he always does - maybe because it was coming from Lance and they're friends, that helped?

I was irritated all night about it - still am a little - but then I thought, you know what?  Go ahead and make your jokes.  It only serves to illuminate further that we have a real problem accepting homosexuality in this country.  We all know that, of course, but there are still way too many who don't.  I used to envy men - really envy them, i.e., I really wished I were one.  Not anymore.  If you're straight and the least little bit insecure, you're constantly having to prove it, and if you're gay, you feel compelled to hide a large part of yourself - the very essence of yourself, really - because so many dumbass mules can't accept you the way you are.

I can wear pants every day, men's boots, cut my hair short, whatever, and people won't go around whispering that I must be a lesbian (not that there's anything wrong with that ;)).  But God forbid you're a straight man who - :gasp: - can actually admit you enjoyed a love story concerning two men without making a joke about it.  Or even mention it by name on television and not make a joke about it.  I give my husband major snaps for not only recommending the movie but defending it, which he did last night to friends, as a matter of fact, when we were having dinner at their house and talking movies, without having to "cover" himself by making a joke about it.  And for being almost as irritated as I was that Lance said that crap.

I hate to, but I'm sure you're all wondering what he said, so I'll tell you.

In the beginning of the show, he was pointing out all the athletes and stars who were there and he goes, "We even have movie stars here.  Fresh off his Oscar nomination for 'Brokeback Mountain,' Jake Gyllenhaal is here.  (Flash to Jake, looking outrageously gorgeous as always.)  What are you doing sitting in the front, Jake?  I thought you liked it in the rear."

::)

(For the record, Jake threw his head back and laughed in that lovely way of his, but not without a sense of irony and a head-shake as well.)

Then, a minute later, he goes, "And the Sexiest Man Alive - Matthew McConaughey - is here.  Don't strain yourself turning around to look at him - we all know what he looks like.  Eyes front, Jake."  At that point, Jake smiled but looked at Lance and shook his head like "I'm gonna get you for that, Armstrong."

What seemed like many hours and infinite inanity (because it really was) later, Jake presented the award for Best Sports Moment.  When he came out, he was holding Terrell Owens' book "T.O," about which they'd previously joked had a "bunch of gay stuff" in it (I think he talks about the down low in it or something), as if he's reading it and mumbled something like, "There IS a lot of gay stuff in here."  But then he shook his head at the audience and kind of rolled his eyes and said, "I'm gonna let the beginning of the show go" (as if to imply "THIS time").

His presentation of the award was lovely.  It was actually well-written (it almost seemed as if it were something he'd really say - like he wrote it himself), and I was thrilled but not surprised to see that the winner was Jason McElwain, the autistic boy who scored six three-pointers in two minutes at the end of a basketball game in my hometown of Rochester, NY (Greece, actually) last year and brought the whole crowd out on the court because it was the first time he had ever gotten to play.

So it was ultimately worth it to watch the whole damn thing (well, up to that point, anyway).  But I'll tell ya, the more I watch these silly award shows, the less I want to continue to (that's our conundrum for the day, kids).

Aren't you *so* glad you asked, Mandy?  ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 02:25:57 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 09:37:39 am »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 09:48:30 am »
Yeah, I figured he'd run it by him first.  I hoped so, anyway.  And it was certainly a better joke in and of itself than any of that lame-ass stuff they did at the MTV awards (not to mention that they didn't run that by him first).

He took it very well and it didn't get under my skin nearly as much as Dennis Quaid's thing at the SAG Awards did, but I can't help but be irritated that there's any need for it at all, ya know?  Thasall I'm sayin'...

Actually, my favorite slam, so to speak, of the monologue was what he said about Bode Miller.  He says something like, "And speaking of inspirational, Bode Miller actually showed up tonight... sober."  The guy is such a jerk (and had slammed Lance in the press previously) that one really didn't bother me a bit.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:34:17 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 10:28:57 am »
This was posted on IMDb by jpseacadets regarding the Espy jokes -

"Dennis Quaid did the same tasteless thing at the Golden Globes. When will it end? Teasing can lead to greater insults.  Just ask any homosexual who went through high shool the victim of such taunts. Words have consequences. Words can lead to aggressive behavior.  This is often how violence starts."

Another point that was made - would it be acceptable to make racially specific jokes about Crash?  Did anyone see any on Leno, Letterman, etc?

While a superviosr @ my job made gay/Brokeback jokes with a goup of guys (& me), I specifically asked if it would be acceptable for me to make racial jokes.  He said definitely not.  So I asked what made him think it was ok to make gay jokes.  That was the last I heard any from him.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:33:02 am by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 10:45:50 am »

In the beginning of the show, he was pointing out all the athletes and stars who were there and he goes, "We even have movie stars here.  Fresh off his Oscar nomination for 'Brokeback Mountain,' Jake Gyllenhaal is here.  (Flash to Jake, looking outrageously gorgeous as always.)  What are you doing sitting in the front, Jake?  I thought you liked it in the rear."

God, that's an awful joke!  >:(

BTW- Did Jake look as tired as he did at the MTV awards? Did anybody else think he looked tired there? Not that that takes away anything from his gorgeousness...  ;)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 10:50:05 am »
Aren't you *so* glad you asked, Mandy? 

You bet  ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the blow by blow, I didn't get to watch it and all I could find was that clip posted here.  I'm glad Lance ran the joke by Jake first, but it still kind of seems like Jake didn't think he was really going to say it based on his reaction... oh well, I guess I should really have come to expect this by now! Doesn't keep me from thinking "are you kidding me?" every time though.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 10:52:26 am »
God, that's an awful joke!  >:(

BTW- Did Jake look as tired as he did at the MTV awards? Did anybody else think he looked tired there? Not that that takes away anything from his gorgeousness...  ;)

He did look tired at the MTV movie awards, and also just a little annoyed... but I think he had flown in from New York the morning it was taped, so maybe just jetlag.  I only saw a very small clip of last night, but he didn't look tired to me... just very very yummy  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 11:12:55 am »
I only saw a very small clip of last night, but he didn't look tired to me... just very very yummy  :D

Oh my, yeah, WHAT IS UP WITH THIS GUY????  :P :) ;)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 11:33:41 am »
He looked tremendous to me last night.  Not tired at all, and his eyes were so clear and bright when he was onstage they were nearly hypnotic.  And he was smiling that lovely, lovely smile of his as he followed Jason McElwain off the stage.  Such a sweetheart.

Nice call, there, LJ, in general and specifically to that nimrod coworker of yours.

And I agree, Mandy - even though Lance apparently ran it by him first, it seems he still wasn't convinced he was *really* going to say it.

I loved, loved, LOVED the way he shook his head at the audience right before he said, "I'm gonna let the beginning of the show go."  He looked and sounded so polished and elegant, yet was down to earth at the same time.  HOW does he do that?  As Lois said to Superman in the *first* movie, "Why are you?"  I don't really care why, I'm just glad he's here at the same time I am.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 04:10:15 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 11:42:19 am »
I don't really care why, I'm just glad he's here at the same time I am.

That's so cute! I have to admit, before BBM I knew who Jake Gyllenhaal was, but never really NOTICED him, even though I have seen nearly all his movies, but that's more because I have seen almost every movie there is. But then, along came a tiny little movie called Brokeback Mountain and I was asking myself "What's wrong with you, why didn't you notice him before?". It must be the way he portrayed Jack Twist in his own way, I think his portrayal is in some ways a lot like himself, as far as I can tell from his appearances on Oprah and other talkshows, and his performance is so naked and real. He really is quite unique... Now I should not let my boyfriend read this... ;)

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 11:44:50 am »
I don't really care why, I'm just glad he's here at the same time I am.

Now, if I could just get him a little closer - maybe in a tent, on a mountain somewhere, anywhere.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 11:54:29 am »
Now, if I could just get him a little closer - maybe in a tent, on a mountain somewhere, anywhere.

Ay.  There's the rub.
No more beans!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 02:12:01 pm »

lol..ok that was a lame joke if I ever heard one ...

Jake is a good sport, that's one of the reasons we love 'em!  ;)

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 12:55:25 pm »
Ahhhhhhh ... I only saw the end of the show when Jake did the award presentation, wouldn't have missed that part for anything :)  When he said that he'd let the beginning of the show go, I figured there was some kind of lame Brokeback parody or stupid jokes.  Thanks for the info, although I'm not entirely sure I'm glad to know it *lol*  Terrible joke writing.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 03:11:38 pm »
beside being annoyed at the joke, what disappoints me even more is that Lance is suppose to be the intelligent jock. He's suppose to be witty and charming, and he goes for the easy "fag" joke like the dumbest of locker room mules. Lost a lot of respect for him.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 05:32:24 pm »
beside being annoyed at the joke, what disappoints me even more is that Lance is suppose to be the intelligent jock. He's suppose to be witty and charming, and he goes for the easy "fag" joke like the dumbest of locker room mules. Lost a lot of respect for him.

I agree.  I did, too.  Why even bring him (or Matthew McConaughey, for that matter) into the "monologue" at all?  The writers only did it to seize the opportunity to make a lame "fag" joke, like you said.  If Lance had any class at all, he'd have refused to do it - what are they gonna do - fire him?

Ideally, I'd have liked to see them mention the movie when Jake came out to present, you know like, "And now, one of the (as much as I hate to say it) Oscar-nominated stars of the recently critically-acclaimed movie 'Brokeback Mountain'," so that when people watching who had no prior experience with him saw what a doll he is in every way, they might go, "You know, I should rent that movie."  All Lance served to do by making that joke, along with encourage the anti-gay stigma, is to make homophobes even less likely to see it.  Nice going.

No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 07:22:50 pm »
Well, as mentioned elsewhere... the espy awards happened to be on TV in the pub on Sunday night when Katherine and I met up for the first time.  It was on mute so we clearly had the pleasure of missing the lame Brokeback jokes.   The jokes really do sound pretty awkward and bad.  And, it sounds like you're spot-on to attribute that kind of mean joking to lots of anxiety.  We must have seen the moment when Jake was laughing about one of the bad jokes because I think I remember seeing the kind of laugh you describe.  Seriously, it's a good thing that we didn't have to hear bad Brokeback jokes that night... with two die-hard Brokies there to witness it together there might have been a ruckus or something.
 ;)

So, since it was silent and we were blissfully unaware of the annoying banter... it just seemed like a remarkable coincidence that Jake appeared on TV (in whatever context) for our little get-together.
 :o
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 09:29:07 pm »
... Seriously, it's a good thing that we didn't have to hear bad Brokeback jokes that night... with two die-hard Brokies there to witness it together there might have been a ruckus or something.
 ;)

I can see it, Amanda and Leslie starting a pub brawl.  ;D that'd be some story to share.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 10:22:12 pm »
I think there's always a line to be drawn & it' s not always "just in fun, just a joke".  It's comparable to someone tickling another person to the point of them being in tears & then blaming them with "It was just fun - I was just tickling."  But what it really was, was agression  & a subtle form of assault. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 10:36:25 pm »
I can see it, Amanda and Leslie starting a pub brawl.  ;D that'd be some story to share.

LOL!  Heya Bud!  Great to see you!  Well, I'm sure if given the opportunity Leslie might throw a chair or two in defense of Brokeback... but it was me and Katherine... so you can be sure there would have been some serious trouble if we had been aware of what was being said.   
 ;)

All we knew was that cute Jake was there on the screen on mute.
 :-X

Seriously, though, starboardlight... I agree with you that it seems awfully low of Lance to make jokes like that.  Given what I've read here... the jokes really do seem quite mean. 

I think your point here about the locker room aspect of this type of dumbass mule behavior is interesting...  I wonder if he was making these jokes because of the context of the sports audience.  If so, it truly is awful.  Poor Jake for having to sit through it.
 >:( :-\

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 11:27:32 pm »
LOL!  Heya Bud!  Great to see you!  Well, I'm sure if given the opportunity Leslie might throw a chair or two in defense of Brokeback... but it was me and Katherine... so you can be sure there would have been some serious trouble if we had been aware of what was being said.   
 ;)

All we knew was that cute Jake was there on the screen on mute.
 :-X

Seriously, though, starboardlight... I agree with you that it seems awfully low of Lance to make jokes like that.  Given what I've read here... the jokes really do seem quite mean. 

I think your point here about the locker room aspect of this type of dumbass mule behavior is interesting...  I wonder if he was making these jokes because of the context of the sports audience.  If so, it truly is awful.  Poor Jake for having to sit through it.
 >:( :-\

ok, now I feel like a dumb ass mule. I was thinking Katherine, I don't why I typed leslie. I'm blaming it on lack of coffee this morning.  :P

I don't feel like I have to defend Jake. They're friends, so light hearted ribbing is okay. Jake is a grown man and can defend himself. It's just that, first of all, it's a lame tired joke that's been done a million times in millions of locker rooms. I don't think you have to always be politically correct, but if you're going to be un-PC, at least be creative and outrageous about it. Second, you know that there are thousands of gay athletes and teens sitting there feeling awkward as their sexuality is again being made the punch line of a joke. I don't care if it's a sports audience, Lance is suppose to be a role model. He holds himself up as one.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 11:51:00 pm »
Heya starboardlight,

No worries.  I agree that lack of coffee can be a very difficult situation.  I absolutely rely on coffee to keep me going too...  I don't know what I'd do without it.

Anyway,  I agree with everything you said about Lance and the joke.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 08:38:03 am »
I do, too, Starbie.  And with what Silk said, too.  It's a form of assault, really.

What bothers me the most is that they *still* feel the need to make a joke like that about it after all this time.  That ship has sailed.  The jokes got old months ago.  Why bring it up again, except to fulfill the apparent need many straight men seem to have to "cover" themselves somehow?

I can't shake the disappointment I feel in discovering that Lance Armstrong isn't the role model I had set him up in my mind to be.  And the vague disappointment I feel in Jake for allowing it to happen.  He had the power not to, according to that clip Chris posted.  And he chose not to use it.

I've always thought I had a good sense of humor and that I take jokes made at my own expense very well.  People tell me all the time how easily amused I am, and how it's admirable that I let things slide off my back all the time the way I do.  But this wasn't a joke made just at Jake's expense.  I guess I'm disappointed that he didn't see that.
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 05:02:15 pm »
After reading Flashframe77's Lance and Jake in the Alps thread, I have a new idea for Jake -

When Lance said from the stage, "Hey Jake, I thought you like it in the rear," Jake could have called back loudly, "Well, Lance, you should know!  See you in the Alps, Honey!"  And then could have used the "Hey, it was a just a joke" philosophy back on him.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 11:00:36 pm »
Hi everyone,

(I'm new here... I hang out over on the Ennis and Ellery fanfic thread...)

Anyhow - I saw the ESPYs and wanted to pipe in with two things - 1 girlie, 1 a little more serious.

First the girlie thing - when Lance first said the take it in the rear thing, and Jack laughed, there was a beautiful camera shot of Jake's throat as he threw his head back and laughed... I watched that throat move a few times!

No one has mentioned this part of the 'joke' but after Lance said "I thought you liked it in the rear..."  and then the audience laughed, and then Lance said, "I meant in the back of the theater, you people are sick."  I thought that second part was worse than the joke itself, just the way he said sick...

Yeah that would've been great if they could've had the comeback Ellemeno just posted.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 01:54:31 am »
After reading Flashframe77's Lance and Jake in the Alps thread, I have a new idea for Jake -

When Lance said from the stage, "Hey Jake, I thought you like it in the rear," Jake could have called back loudly, "Well, Lance, you should know!  See you in the Alps, Honey!"  And then could have used the "Hey, it was a just a joke" philosophy back on him.

LOL  :laugh:

vkm91941

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 02:03:25 am »

Excellent idea Elle!  You go girl  :laugh:

vkm91941

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 02:58:26 am »
Hi everyone,

(I'm new here... I hang out over on the Ennis and Ellery fanfic thread...)

Anyhow - I saw the ESPYs and wanted to pipe in with two things - 1 girlie, 1 a little more serious.

First the girlie thing - when Lance first said the take it in the rear thing, and Jack laughed, there was a beautiful camera shot of Jake's throat as he threw his head back and laughed... I watched that throat move a few times!

No one has mentioned this part of the 'joke' but after Lance said "I thought you liked it in the rear..."  and then the audience laughed, and then Lance said, "I meant in the back of the theater, you people are sick."  I thought that second part was worse than the joke itself, just the way he said sick...

Yeah that would've been great if they could've had the comeback Ellemeno just posted.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 04:41:34 am »
Tell you what, I think we should all e-mail that nimrod Lance Armstrong and blast him for his harmful shameful behaviour.  How can we find an e-mail address for him?

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

mvansand76

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 06:57:42 am »
Tell you what, I think we should all e-mail that nimrod Lance Armstrong and blast him for his harmful shameful behaviour.  How can we find an e-mail address for him?

J

:laugh:

Anyone here really close to the French Alps?

It will take me about 9 hours by car, but I am willing to do it, as long as Jake's there too.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2006, 04:22:17 pm »
I don't know what the ESPYs are, but I'm really pissed off by that "rear" joke. (Yeah, I'm late to the party, didn't read this thread until just now). They're *still* at it, making those lame and offensive jokes that are truly hurtful to many people? And Jake really has little other choice than to sit there and take it, or he'll seem less than a good sport, I suppose. If those jokes had been cleared with him beforehand, I'm miffed at him too. (Never thought THAT would happen).  I do wish he'd tell everyone that enough is enough.  Lance Armstrong is a conceited moron, in my not so humble opinion.  >:( >:(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 04:28:16 pm by Mikaela »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2006, 04:48:15 pm »
I don't know what the ESPYs are, but I'm really pissed off by that "rear" joke. (Yeah, I'm late to the party, didn't read this thread until just now). They're *still* at it, making those lame and offensive jokes that are truly hurtful to many people? And Jake really has little other choice than to sit there and take it, or he'll seem less than a good sport, I suppose. If those jokes had been cleared with him beforehand, I'm miffed at him too. (Never thought THAT would happen).  I do wish he'd tell everyone that enough is enough.  Lance Armstrong is a conceited moron, in my not so humble opinion.  >:( >:(

Welcome to the party!  It's never to late to add some more logs to my fire.  We're having a grand old time swappin' the whiskey bottle, smokin', and getting up every now and then to piss.  :)

I honestly don't think Lance is that great of a person, myself.  I'm sure he wouldn't lose any sleep knowing that.  But they did some skit of him treating the show's "writers" like crap (which, as it turns out, they deserved), and I had the feeling that no acting was required.  Nodamean, Vern?  Pass that bottle this way, wouldja?

(And yes, I'm still disappointed to have learned that Jake gave that shite the go-ahead.  This is what happens when you put someone on a pedastal - and the higher you put them, the further they fall.)
No more beans!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2006, 05:26:05 pm »
Pass that whiskey over here, please - I need a swig or two or more.

I don't care either way about Lance Armstrong, really - as long as he keeps off the lame offensive jokes in future. I don't suppose he made a couple of jokes about how his many wins really are all just due to lots and lots of doping, did he? I gather that's the kind of subject he thinks as *utterly* hilarious as we find his gay put-down jokes to be.

(And yes, I'm still disappointed to have learned that Jake gave that shite the go-ahead.  This is what happens when you put someone on a pedastal - and the higher you put them, the further they fall.)

I guess so. I wonder if he's taken a moment to think about how those jokes come across to all those people who wrote him after BBM and bared their souls, all those who sent him gifts in gratitude over BBM telling their story....? He might refuse to give BBM-related offensive jokes the thumbs up, in consideration of all those people and their feelings - and noone would think less of him. Even  in the entertainment industry. Or so I would (perhaps naively) hope.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 05:34:13 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Elanorsam

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2006, 01:12:13 am »
Just a thought - what if Lance told Jake about the jokes right before the ceremony, AFTER he's been rehearsing them? Then Jake says no, Lance comes back and says, sorry guys, Jake doesn't like the jokes, and Jake comes across as not being able to take a joke. So maybe he felt backed into a corner and felt like he had to say yes. I mean, that's one possible scenario.  Isn't it true that we don't know 1) If Lance ever actually even asked Jake (all we have is Lance's statement about it, right?), and (2) If Jake was actually asked, we don't know when and how he was asked. So since we don't know what really happened, maybe we should wait before criticizing Jake until we find out more info?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2006, 08:12:41 am »
Just a thought - what if Lance told Jake about the jokes right before the ceremony, AFTER he's been rehearsing them? Then Jake says no, Lance comes back and says, sorry guys, Jake doesn't like the jokes, and Jake comes across as not being able to take a joke. So maybe he felt backed into a corner and felt like he had to say yes. I mean, that's one possible scenario.  Isn't it true that we don't know 1) If Lance ever actually even asked Jake (all we have is Lance's statement about it, right?), and (2) If Jake was actually asked, we don't know when and how he was asked. So since we don't know what really happened, maybe we should wait before criticizing Jake until we find out more info?

True, that.  We have no idea in which context he was asked and answered.  I just can't shake the nagging disappointment I feel in knowing that he was asked and responded that way.  You know what it is?  I want to think the best of him in every situation - I think a lot of people do.  It's kind of a curse.  In fact, he's just a human being and a young one at that.  An extremely talented and charming and compassionate one, but he's not a god and he's not perfect.

I remember thinking along the same lines as you are when so many people were going batshit about Heath's teapot pose at the SAG awards.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and I think now it was easy for me to do that because I had not put him on a pedestal like the other folks had.  Now I understand how they felt.  Payback's a m......

Really, the crux of the fault lies with the producers and writers of the show for making the opening monologue so nasty, in general, and specifically for writing and allowing that joke.  Jake (and probably Lance for that matter) were between a rock and a hard place, most likely.  They could have nixed it, sure, but it's not as easy as that, I realize.  It's just a shame that people who put such shows together still find it necessary to make jokes like that about homosexuality (and to use a movie to allude to it that was released six months ago, for Chrissakes) in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 12:53:21 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2006, 12:52:37 pm »
So oftentimes it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key.

Barb -

Love that quote.

PS / OT - Haven't seen you on the "Alberta" thread...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2006, 12:54:32 pm »
Barb -

Love that quote.

PS / OT - Haven't seen you on the "Alberta" thread...

Well, allow me to high-tail it right over there...  :)
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2006, 11:21:04 am »

Uhm.. I watched a brief interview with Lance Armstrong about this on youtube and in it he says that he cleared it with him and that he asked Jake if he was OK with it and Lance said that Jake said "Yes, I love, it, I love it..."

That makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I remember something that Jake said that impressed me in that Oprah episode about BBM, he said that even the small jokes (the ones like this or the name calling, the thing heterosexual men do when they call eachother homo or gay) are insulting, that it shows immaturity. I am only paraphrasing because I don't have the tape here. What I don't understand is why this (the joke at ESPY) is supposed to be funny?

I don't know...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2006, 11:35:39 am »
Uhm.. I watched a brief interview with Lance Armstrong about this on youtube and in it he says that he cleared it with him and that he asked Jake if he was OK with it and Lance said that Jake said "Yes, I love, it, I love it..."

I remember something that Jake said that impressed me in that Oprah episode about BBM, he said that even the small jokes (the ones like this or the name calling, the thing heterosexual men do when they call eachother homo or gay) are insulting, that it shows immaturity. I am only paraphrasing because I don't have the tape here. What I don't understand is why this (the joke at ESPY) is supposed to be funny?

I don't know...

Yes, that's what I'm talking about when I say I'm disappointed - his apparent response to Lance's running it by him.

It's just such a shame that such jokes are even considered, let alone made, at such an event.  Here you have about the most homophobic sub-culture there is in this country - professional male athletes.  It's right up (or down?) there with white supremacists and, I dunno, cowboys and/or Republicans for being infamously so.  And they trot out a joke like that.  And then, like notBastet said, what was even more disturbing was Lance's following that with "I meant the rear of the theater - you people are sick" - as in sick is what you are if you even think about anal sex.  Childish.  Lame.  Insulting beyond words.  But that's Lance for ya.  He is from Texas, after all.  I bet he doesn't even drink coffee, the neocon.  ;)

Seriously, it was in profoundly poor taste on a number of levels, the most egregious of those being that it has the potential to make gays in an already homophobic sub-culture want to run and hide all the more.  Again, nice going, guys.

:'(
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2006, 11:45:58 am »
Yes, that's what I'm talking about when I say I'm disappointed - his apparent response to Lance's running it by him.

It's just such a shame that such jokes are even considered, let alone made, at such an event.  Here you have about the most homophobic sub-culture there is in this country - professional male athletes.  It's right up (or down?) there with white supremacists and, I dunno, cowboys and/or Republicans for being infamously so.  And they trot out a joke like that.  And then, like notBastet said, what was even more disturbing was Lance's following that with "I meant the rear of the theater - you people are sick" - as in sick is what you are if you even think about anal sex.  Childish.  Lame.  Insulting beyond words.  But that's Lance for ya.  He is from Texas, after all.  I bet he doesn't even drink coffee, the neocon.  ;)

Seriously, it was in profoundly poor taste on a number of levels, the most egregious of those being that it has the potential to make gays in an already homophobic sub-culture want to run and hide all the more.  Again, nice going, guys.

:'(

You are so right, it's such a sad and awful way of dealing with things. I know there's humor and you should be able to joke about things, but this is in SUCH poor taste. And yes, especially in this setting.  >:(

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2006, 11:54:50 am »

Makes me wonder if Lance is feeding a line of BS there.  I don't believe that Jake said "I love it, I love it."  what a load of crap.  Does that sound like Jake?

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2006, 01:23:07 pm »
Makes me wonder if Lance is feeding a line of BS there.  I don't believe that Jake said "I love it, I love it."  what a load of crap.  Does that sound like Jake?

Not like the Jake that exists in my perfect fantasy world (in which I'm also 25 again and we are exclusive lovers).  That's why it came as such a surprise and disappointment to me.  I can't believe Lance would bold-faced lie about what he said to Ryan Seacrest/the media, but I do agree with Elanorsam that it was very possibly taken out of context or there might have been more to his response than just that.  Or maybe I just like to think that in my perfect fantasy world.  In which, by the way, I have to run.  I'm late for a nooner.
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2006, 07:51:22 am »

I am not sure if I believe that he said that exactly either, it's just not a joke that you can be THAT enthusiastic about if you've just played a key character in one of the most important and influential films about homosexuality to have come out in years.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2006, 10:58:45 am »
Thank you guys so much. You've inadvertently made me feel better, knowing that I wasn't the only one who was, frankly, fucking pissed after hearing about this joke.

I too was disappointed in Jake and I think that's what bothered me the most. It seemed like a completely different person from the Jake who compassionately spoke in interviews promoting Brokeback just five-six months ago. After hearing that he spoke against that type of name-calling on Oprah (I have that episode taped, I just have to go back and watch it sometime -- I'll likely cry so I'm kind of reluctant to watch just yet...), enthusiastically saying "I love it, I love it!" seems like Lance has twisted the truth a little. Or at least I hope so, or else Jake was being a 'good sport.' See, I hope to God Jake actually didn't find that (truly unoriginal, lame-ass) joke that hysterically fucking funny because it seems to contradict his thoughts when he was promoting Brokeback.

And yeah, as for Lance? I cannot stand him. (I am beyond tired of these 'inspirational' athletes overcoming hardships and their stories being glorified...) I think if I see one more picture of him or Matthew Mc-probably-couldn't-upstage-Mischa-Barton-conaughey with Jake, I think I'll (once again) spew blood and patronize bunny rabbits (inside Heathers joke).

Sorry, for the rant. I'll stop for now but if I have more thoughts later, I'll post 'em.

P.S. The thought of Amanda and Leslie starting an outrageous scene is purely sensational. The golden hilarity of that idea is that you just know they would've been outraged if the show wasn't muted -- because they're Brokies and we tend to think frighteningly alike on certain issues. Had I seen the show itself (I saw it online, so I knew what to expect) I think I would've smashed the TV.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 10:15:14 pm by bbm_stitchbuffyfan »
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2006, 07:45:57 pm »
Have you guys heard rumors that Jake is potentially slated to play Lance Armstrong in a biopic?  Maybe that's behind the camaraderie?
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2006, 10:21:56 pm »
I heard those rumors too. They don't look anything alike. I mean, I think all of us here agree that Jake can pull off a gamut of roles. That being said, I don't think he's good for the part because they don't, to me, look anything alike. And isn't it a little effing soon for a Lance Armstrong movie? (I mean he retired, what, last year?) If they want to make a movie about him, it should be for the next generation, allowing them to learn about the 'legend' Armstrong.

I'm bored of Armstrong already what with his 'blatant stalking' of Jake (I know you guys got that one!) so I don't think I could make it through a movie about him. That, and I don't like biographies. I liked Monster, I liked Boys Don't Cry and Jarhead, Capote was decent, and I'm gonna see I'm Not There but other than those, biographies never seem to captivate me. (i.e. Ray)
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

mvansand76

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2006, 07:12:12 am »
See, I hope to God Jake actually didn't find that (truly unoriginal, lame-ass) joke that hysterically fucking funny because it seems to contradict his thoughts when he was promoting Brokeback.

You are so right...

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2006, 08:34:35 am »
Have you guys heard rumors that Jake is potentially slated to play Lance Armstrong in a biopic?  Maybe that's behind the camaraderie?

I've heard he was making a movie about biking and that Lance was heliping him train... but not that it was about Lance.  I like Lance Armstrong's story, but I agree Jake would be wrong for the part  :-\

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2006, 05:27:09 pm »

mvansand76

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2006, 07:05:28 am »
Why doesn't Lance Armstrong play himself I wonder?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2006, 09:50:23 am »
Actually, I think Jake can pull it off.  Look at him in Jarhead - without that luxurious dark hair (I'm afraid they'll have to do something with his eyebrows, too :(), his coloring is quite fair, and their facial features are not all that different.

My conflict with eventually seeing it is that I don't care for Armstrong all that much.  I certainly admire him, but I don't think he's a particularly nice person, and not just because of what he did at the Espy's - it's been in development for me for a long time.  That'll be my challenge, I guess - I get the feeling Jake playing him and showing his vulnerability might just break me of my distaste for him.
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2006, 11:29:45 am »
I think he can pull anything off, and if it means that he will be shooting the movie here in Europe (the Alps) then I am all for it!  ;)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2006, 11:46:18 am »
Actually, I think Jake can pull it off.  Look at him in Jarhead - without that luxurious dark hair (I'm afraid they'll have to do something with his eyebrows, too :(), his coloring is quite fair, and their facial features are not all that different.

My conflict with eventually seeing it is that I don't care for Armstrong all that much. 

Those were my thoughts, too.

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2006, 06:06:43 pm »
Yeah, I'm jumping on that same bandwagon.

What do you think the writers were aiming for at the ESPYs when Jake said "Yeah, there is a lot of gay stuff in here...?" [Referring to Terrell Owens' book, which I have no idea why homosexuality is related to that but okay...]

Or do you think Jake said that himself? I'm baffled as to where he/the writers is/are coming from.

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2006, 09:05:58 am »
Yeah, I'm jumping on that same bandwagon.

What do you think the writers were aiming for at the ESPYs when Jake said "Yeah, there is a lot of gay stuff in here...?" [Referring to Terrell Owens' book, which I have no idea why homosexuality is related to that but okay...]

Or do you think Jake said that himself? I'm baffled as to where he/the writers is/are coming from.

I'm guessing there is something about The Down Low in Owens' book.  i.e., that little phenomenon in which black men get together to have sex just for kicks.  But they're really straight.  Honest.  I'm guessing only - I haven't read it and don't plan to because I can't stand Terrell Owens and have no desire to know what it is that "makes him tick."  Actually, I already do know: megalomania.

The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.  I think where the writers were coming from is having a need to prove their masculinity and that of their audience largely composed of (supposedly) straight male professional athletes by making a guy who played a gay rodeo cowboy in love with another man the brunt of gay jokes.  Nothing more or less than that.  I feel bad for Jake that he had to put up with it.  I can't believe he was wild about it, no matter what Lance Armstrong says.

Once again, I no longer am experiencing penis envy.  I can't tell you all how glad I am to be a woman in this stupid, backwards society.  Oh.  Wait a minute...
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2006, 11:14:35 pm »
This just in:  I get it.  It being the context in which Jake most likely said "I love it, I love it" (or something very much like it) to Lance Armstrong.

One of The Jackies (The Jackies being my two best friends in the world) sent this to me tonight, recalling my saying that it was Jake's appearance on Leno, and a particular moment during it, that sealed the deal for me, knocked Rafe out of the Number One spot on my List, stole the show, all of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvOd1vo2Em0&NR

And that particular moment was when he said "Bring it on, man" in response to Jay asking if he was tired of all the jokes about the movie.

There is nothing sexier on God's green earth than confidence.  And fearlessness (in a non-Jackass sort of way, of course).  And when Jake said this, to me he was saying "Fuck 'em all."  So when Lance approached him about That Joke on the Espys and he said, "I love it, I love it," it wasn't him being insensitive or ingenuous.  It was him saying I'm not afraid of whatever you guys want to throw at this movie or at me.  Bring it on.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 11:16:09 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2006, 11:33:58 pm »
I've been ruminating on a similar thought for a while, not sure if it had merit, but wondered if his attitude towards the jokes was sort of like, "Who cares?  Joke about 'it' all you want.  'It' is not a bad thing."

Thoughts?

(personally trying hard to avoid wondering why I spend so much time trying to work out what Jake thinks...)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2006, 09:14:24 am »
I've been ruminating on a similar thought for a while, not sure if it had merit, but wondered if his attitude towards the jokes was sort of like, "Who cares?  Joke about 'it' all you want.  'It' is not a bad thing."

Thoughts?

(personally trying hard to avoid wondering why I spend so much time trying to work out what Jake thinks...)

Hmmmmm.  Um, yeah.  I know the feeling.  One of my coworkers has said a couple of times to me recently "GET therapy.  PLEASE."  Perhaps I should take his advice.  ;)
No more beans!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2006, 10:16:35 am »
Hmmmmm.  Um, yeah.  I know the feeling.  One of my coworkers has said a couple of times to me recently "GET therapy.  PLEASE."  Perhaps I should take his advice.  ;)

LOL you and me both Barb...  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2006, 10:54:41 am »

No, don't, there's nothing wrong with you! In the meantime, before we actually speak to Jake in person, it's a good pastime! I think you could be right about your interpretation of the words. God, I was so impressed with Jake at Oprah, what he said about the non-innocent name-calling (something that bothers me immensely about men) being so true.