Author Topic: Anyone watch the ESPYs??  (Read 18875 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Anyone watch the ESPYs??
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 11:33:41 am »
He looked tremendous to me last night.  Not tired at all, and his eyes were so clear and bright when he was onstage they were nearly hypnotic.  And he was smiling that lovely, lovely smile of his as he followed Jason McElwain off the stage.  Such a sweetheart.

Nice call, there, LJ, in general and specifically to that nimrod coworker of yours.

And I agree, Mandy - even though Lance apparently ran it by him first, it seems he still wasn't convinced he was *really* going to say it.

I loved, loved, LOVED the way he shook his head at the audience right before he said, "I'm gonna let the beginning of the show go."  He looked and sounded so polished and elegant, yet was down to earth at the same time.  HOW does he do that?  As Lois said to Superman in the *first* movie, "Why are you?"  I don't really care why, I'm just glad he's here at the same time I am.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 04:10:15 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 11:42:19 am »
I don't really care why, I'm just glad he's here at the same time I am.

That's so cute! I have to admit, before BBM I knew who Jake Gyllenhaal was, but never really NOTICED him, even though I have seen nearly all his movies, but that's more because I have seen almost every movie there is. But then, along came a tiny little movie called Brokeback Mountain and I was asking myself "What's wrong with you, why didn't you notice him before?". It must be the way he portrayed Jack Twist in his own way, I think his portrayal is in some ways a lot like himself, as far as I can tell from his appearances on Oprah and other talkshows, and his performance is so naked and real. He really is quite unique... Now I should not let my boyfriend read this... ;)

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 11:44:50 am »
I don't really care why, I'm just glad he's here at the same time I am.

Now, if I could just get him a little closer - maybe in a tent, on a mountain somewhere, anywhere.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 11:54:29 am »
Now, if I could just get him a little closer - maybe in a tent, on a mountain somewhere, anywhere.

Ay.  There's the rub.
No more beans!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 02:12:01 pm »

In the beginning of the show, he was pointing out all the athletes and stars who were there and he goes, "We even have movie stars here.  Fresh off his Oscar nomination for 'Brokeback Mountain,' Jake Gyllenhaal is here.  (Flash to Jake, looking outrageously gorgeous as always.)  What are you doing sitting in the front, Jake?  I thought you liked it in the rear."

::)

lol..ok that was a lame joke if I ever heard one ...

Jake is a good sport, that's one of the reasons we love 'em!  ;)

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 12:55:25 pm »
Ahhhhhhh ... I only saw the end of the show when Jake did the award presentation, wouldn't have missed that part for anything :)  When he said that he'd let the beginning of the show go, I figured there was some kind of lame Brokeback parody or stupid jokes.  Thanks for the info, although I'm not entirely sure I'm glad to know it *lol*  Terrible joke writing.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 03:11:38 pm »
beside being annoyed at the joke, what disappoints me even more is that Lance is suppose to be the intelligent jock. He's suppose to be witty and charming, and he goes for the easy "fag" joke like the dumbest of locker room mules. Lost a lot of respect for him.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 05:32:24 pm »
beside being annoyed at the joke, what disappoints me even more is that Lance is suppose to be the intelligent jock. He's suppose to be witty and charming, and he goes for the easy "fag" joke like the dumbest of locker room mules. Lost a lot of respect for him.

I agree.  I did, too.  Why even bring him (or Matthew McConaughey, for that matter) into the "monologue" at all?  The writers only did it to seize the opportunity to make a lame "fag" joke, like you said.  If Lance had any class at all, he'd have refused to do it - what are they gonna do - fire him?

Ideally, I'd have liked to see them mention the movie when Jake came out to present, you know like, "And now, one of the (as much as I hate to say it) Oscar-nominated stars of the recently critically-acclaimed movie 'Brokeback Mountain'," so that when people watching who had no prior experience with him saw what a doll he is in every way, they might go, "You know, I should rent that movie."  All Lance served to do by making that joke, along with encourage the anti-gay stigma, is to make homophobes even less likely to see it.  Nice going.

No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 07:22:50 pm »
Well, as mentioned elsewhere... the espy awards happened to be on TV in the pub on Sunday night when Katherine and I met up for the first time.  It was on mute so we clearly had the pleasure of missing the lame Brokeback jokes.   The jokes really do sound pretty awkward and bad.  And, it sounds like you're spot-on to attribute that kind of mean joking to lots of anxiety.  We must have seen the moment when Jake was laughing about one of the bad jokes because I think I remember seeing the kind of laugh you describe.  Seriously, it's a good thing that we didn't have to hear bad Brokeback jokes that night... with two die-hard Brokies there to witness it together there might have been a ruckus or something.
 ;)

So, since it was silent and we were blissfully unaware of the annoying banter... it just seemed like a remarkable coincidence that Jake appeared on TV (in whatever context) for our little get-together.
 :o
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 09:29:07 pm »
... Seriously, it's a good thing that we didn't have to hear bad Brokeback jokes that night... with two die-hard Brokies there to witness it together there might have been a ruckus or something.
 ;)

I can see it, Amanda and Leslie starting a pub brawl.  ;D that'd be some story to share.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.