Author Topic: Anyone watch the ESPYs??  (Read 18998 times)

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
Re: Anyone watch the ESPYs??
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 10:22:12 pm »
I think there's always a line to be drawn & it' s not always "just in fun, just a joke".  It's comparable to someone tickling another person to the point of them being in tears & then blaming them with "It was just fun - I was just tickling."  But what it really was, was agression  & a subtle form of assault. 
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 10:36:25 pm »
I can see it, Amanda and Leslie starting a pub brawl.  ;D that'd be some story to share.

LOL!  Heya Bud!  Great to see you!  Well, I'm sure if given the opportunity Leslie might throw a chair or two in defense of Brokeback... but it was me and Katherine... so you can be sure there would have been some serious trouble if we had been aware of what was being said.   
 ;)

All we knew was that cute Jake was there on the screen on mute.
 :-X

Seriously, though, starboardlight... I agree with you that it seems awfully low of Lance to make jokes like that.  Given what I've read here... the jokes really do seem quite mean. 

beside being annoyed at the joke, what disappoints me even more is that Lance is suppose to be the intelligent jock. He's suppose to be witty and charming, and he goes for the easy "fag" joke like the dumbest of locker room mules. Lost a lot of respect for him.

I think your point here about the locker room aspect of this type of dumbass mule behavior is interesting...  I wonder if he was making these jokes because of the context of the sports audience.  If so, it truly is awful.  Poor Jake for having to sit through it.
 >:( :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 11:27:32 pm »
LOL!  Heya Bud!  Great to see you!  Well, I'm sure if given the opportunity Leslie might throw a chair or two in defense of Brokeback... but it was me and Katherine... so you can be sure there would have been some serious trouble if we had been aware of what was being said.   
 ;)

All we knew was that cute Jake was there on the screen on mute.
 :-X

Seriously, though, starboardlight... I agree with you that it seems awfully low of Lance to make jokes like that.  Given what I've read here... the jokes really do seem quite mean. 

I think your point here about the locker room aspect of this type of dumbass mule behavior is interesting...  I wonder if he was making these jokes because of the context of the sports audience.  If so, it truly is awful.  Poor Jake for having to sit through it.
 >:( :-\

ok, now I feel like a dumb ass mule. I was thinking Katherine, I don't why I typed leslie. I'm blaming it on lack of coffee this morning.  :P

I don't feel like I have to defend Jake. They're friends, so light hearted ribbing is okay. Jake is a grown man and can defend himself. It's just that, first of all, it's a lame tired joke that's been done a million times in millions of locker rooms. I don't think you have to always be politically correct, but if you're going to be un-PC, at least be creative and outrageous about it. Second, you know that there are thousands of gay athletes and teens sitting there feeling awkward as their sexuality is again being made the punch line of a joke. I don't care if it's a sports audience, Lance is suppose to be a role model. He holds himself up as one.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 11:51:00 pm »
Heya starboardlight,

No worries.  I agree that lack of coffee can be a very difficult situation.  I absolutely rely on coffee to keep me going too...  I don't know what I'd do without it.

Anyway,  I agree with everything you said about Lance and the joke.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 08:38:03 am »
I do, too, Starbie.  And with what Silk said, too.  It's a form of assault, really.

What bothers me the most is that they *still* feel the need to make a joke like that about it after all this time.  That ship has sailed.  The jokes got old months ago.  Why bring it up again, except to fulfill the apparent need many straight men seem to have to "cover" themselves somehow?

I can't shake the disappointment I feel in discovering that Lance Armstrong isn't the role model I had set him up in my mind to be.  And the vague disappointment I feel in Jake for allowing it to happen.  He had the power not to, according to that clip Chris posted.  And he chose not to use it.

I've always thought I had a good sense of humor and that I take jokes made at my own expense very well.  People tell me all the time how easily amused I am, and how it's admirable that I let things slide off my back all the time the way I do.  But this wasn't a joke made just at Jake's expense.  I guess I'm disappointed that he didn't see that.
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 05:02:15 pm »
After reading Flashframe77's Lance and Jake in the Alps thread, I have a new idea for Jake -

When Lance said from the stage, "Hey Jake, I thought you like it in the rear," Jake could have called back loudly, "Well, Lance, you should know!  See you in the Alps, Honey!"  And then could have used the "Hey, it was a just a joke" philosophy back on him.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 11:00:36 pm »
Hi everyone,

(I'm new here... I hang out over on the Ennis and Ellery fanfic thread...)

Anyhow - I saw the ESPYs and wanted to pipe in with two things - 1 girlie, 1 a little more serious.

First the girlie thing - when Lance first said the take it in the rear thing, and Jack laughed, there was a beautiful camera shot of Jake's throat as he threw his head back and laughed... I watched that throat move a few times!

No one has mentioned this part of the 'joke' but after Lance said "I thought you liked it in the rear..."  and then the audience laughed, and then Lance said, "I meant in the back of the theater, you people are sick."  I thought that second part was worse than the joke itself, just the way he said sick...

Yeah that would've been great if they could've had the comeback Ellemeno just posted.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 01:54:31 am »
After reading Flashframe77's Lance and Jake in the Alps thread, I have a new idea for Jake -

When Lance said from the stage, "Hey Jake, I thought you like it in the rear," Jake could have called back loudly, "Well, Lance, you should know!  See you in the Alps, Honey!"  And then could have used the "Hey, it was a just a joke" philosophy back on him.

LOL  :laugh:
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

vkm91941

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 02:03:25 am »

Excellent idea Elle!  You go girl  :laugh:

vkm91941

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 02:58:26 am »
Hi everyone,

(I'm new here... I hang out over on the Ennis and Ellery fanfic thread...)

Anyhow - I saw the ESPYs and wanted to pipe in with two things - 1 girlie, 1 a little more serious.

First the girlie thing - when Lance first said the take it in the rear thing, and Jack laughed, there was a beautiful camera shot of Jake's throat as he threw his head back and laughed... I watched that throat move a few times!

No one has mentioned this part of the 'joke' but after Lance said "I thought you liked it in the rear..."  and then the audience laughed, and then Lance said, "I meant in the back of the theater, you people are sick."  I thought that second part was worse than the joke itself, just the way he said sick...

Yeah that would've been great if they could've had the comeback Ellemeno just posted.