Author Topic: Anyone watch the ESPYs??  (Read 19015 times)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Anyone watch the ESPYs??
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 04:41:34 am »
Tell you what, I think we should all e-mail that nimrod Lance Armstrong and blast him for his harmful shameful behaviour.  How can we find an e-mail address for him?

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

mvansand76

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 06:57:42 am »
Tell you what, I think we should all e-mail that nimrod Lance Armstrong and blast him for his harmful shameful behaviour.  How can we find an e-mail address for him?

J

:laugh:

Anyone here really close to the French Alps?

It will take me about 9 hours by car, but I am willing to do it, as long as Jake's there too.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2006, 04:22:17 pm »
I don't know what the ESPYs are, but I'm really pissed off by that "rear" joke. (Yeah, I'm late to the party, didn't read this thread until just now). They're *still* at it, making those lame and offensive jokes that are truly hurtful to many people? And Jake really has little other choice than to sit there and take it, or he'll seem less than a good sport, I suppose. If those jokes had been cleared with him beforehand, I'm miffed at him too. (Never thought THAT would happen).  I do wish he'd tell everyone that enough is enough.  Lance Armstrong is a conceited moron, in my not so humble opinion.  >:( >:(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 04:28:16 pm by Mikaela »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2006, 04:48:15 pm »
I don't know what the ESPYs are, but I'm really pissed off by that "rear" joke. (Yeah, I'm late to the party, didn't read this thread until just now). They're *still* at it, making those lame and offensive jokes that are truly hurtful to many people? And Jake really has little other choice than to sit there and take it, or he'll seem less than a good sport, I suppose. If those jokes had been cleared with him beforehand, I'm miffed at him too. (Never thought THAT would happen).  I do wish he'd tell everyone that enough is enough.  Lance Armstrong is a conceited moron, in my not so humble opinion.  >:( >:(

Welcome to the party!  It's never to late to add some more logs to my fire.  We're having a grand old time swappin' the whiskey bottle, smokin', and getting up every now and then to piss.  :)

I honestly don't think Lance is that great of a person, myself.  I'm sure he wouldn't lose any sleep knowing that.  But they did some skit of him treating the show's "writers" like crap (which, as it turns out, they deserved), and I had the feeling that no acting was required.  Nodamean, Vern?  Pass that bottle this way, wouldja?

(And yes, I'm still disappointed to have learned that Jake gave that shite the go-ahead.  This is what happens when you put someone on a pedastal - and the higher you put them, the further they fall.)
No more beans!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2006, 05:26:05 pm »
Pass that whiskey over here, please - I need a swig or two or more.

I don't care either way about Lance Armstrong, really - as long as he keeps off the lame offensive jokes in future. I don't suppose he made a couple of jokes about how his many wins really are all just due to lots and lots of doping, did he? I gather that's the kind of subject he thinks as *utterly* hilarious as we find his gay put-down jokes to be.

(And yes, I'm still disappointed to have learned that Jake gave that shite the go-ahead.  This is what happens when you put someone on a pedastal - and the higher you put them, the further they fall.)

I guess so. I wonder if he's taken a moment to think about how those jokes come across to all those people who wrote him after BBM and bared their souls, all those who sent him gifts in gratitude over BBM telling their story....? He might refuse to give BBM-related offensive jokes the thumbs up, in consideration of all those people and their feelings - and noone would think less of him. Even  in the entertainment industry. Or so I would (perhaps naively) hope.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 05:34:13 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Elanorsam

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2006, 01:12:13 am »
Just a thought - what if Lance told Jake about the jokes right before the ceremony, AFTER he's been rehearsing them? Then Jake says no, Lance comes back and says, sorry guys, Jake doesn't like the jokes, and Jake comes across as not being able to take a joke. So maybe he felt backed into a corner and felt like he had to say yes. I mean, that's one possible scenario.  Isn't it true that we don't know 1) If Lance ever actually even asked Jake (all we have is Lance's statement about it, right?), and (2) If Jake was actually asked, we don't know when and how he was asked. So since we don't know what really happened, maybe we should wait before criticizing Jake until we find out more info?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2006, 08:12:41 am »
Just a thought - what if Lance told Jake about the jokes right before the ceremony, AFTER he's been rehearsing them? Then Jake says no, Lance comes back and says, sorry guys, Jake doesn't like the jokes, and Jake comes across as not being able to take a joke. So maybe he felt backed into a corner and felt like he had to say yes. I mean, that's one possible scenario.  Isn't it true that we don't know 1) If Lance ever actually even asked Jake (all we have is Lance's statement about it, right?), and (2) If Jake was actually asked, we don't know when and how he was asked. So since we don't know what really happened, maybe we should wait before criticizing Jake until we find out more info?

True, that.  We have no idea in which context he was asked and answered.  I just can't shake the nagging disappointment I feel in knowing that he was asked and responded that way.  You know what it is?  I want to think the best of him in every situation - I think a lot of people do.  It's kind of a curse.  In fact, he's just a human being and a young one at that.  An extremely talented and charming and compassionate one, but he's not a god and he's not perfect.

I remember thinking along the same lines as you are when so many people were going batshit about Heath's teapot pose at the SAG awards.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and I think now it was easy for me to do that because I had not put him on a pedestal like the other folks had.  Now I understand how they felt.  Payback's a m......

Really, the crux of the fault lies with the producers and writers of the show for making the opening monologue so nasty, in general, and specifically for writing and allowing that joke.  Jake (and probably Lance for that matter) were between a rock and a hard place, most likely.  They could have nixed it, sure, but it's not as easy as that, I realize.  It's just a shame that people who put such shows together still find it necessary to make jokes like that about homosexuality (and to use a movie to allude to it that was released six months ago, for Chrissakes) in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 12:53:21 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2006, 12:52:37 pm »
So oftentimes it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key.

Barb -

Love that quote.

PS / OT - Haven't seen you on the "Alberta" thread...
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2006, 12:54:32 pm »
Barb -

Love that quote.

PS / OT - Haven't seen you on the "Alberta" thread...

Well, allow me to high-tail it right over there...  :)
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2006, 11:21:04 am »

Uhm.. I watched a brief interview with Lance Armstrong about this on youtube and in it he says that he cleared it with him and that he asked Jake if he was OK with it and Lance said that Jake said "Yes, I love, it, I love it..."

That makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I remember something that Jake said that impressed me in that Oprah episode about BBM, he said that even the small jokes (the ones like this or the name calling, the thing heterosexual men do when they call eachother homo or gay) are insulting, that it shows immaturity. I am only paraphrasing because I don't have the tape here. What I don't understand is why this (the joke at ESPY) is supposed to be funny?

I don't know...