Author Topic: Anyone watch the ESPYs??  (Read 18993 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Anyone watch the ESPYs??
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2006, 11:35:39 am »
Uhm.. I watched a brief interview with Lance Armstrong about this on youtube and in it he says that he cleared it with him and that he asked Jake if he was OK with it and Lance said that Jake said "Yes, I love, it, I love it..."

That makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I remember something that Jake said that impressed me in that Oprah episode about BBM, he said that even the small jokes (the ones like this or the name calling, the thing heterosexual men do when they call eachother homo or gay) are insulting, that it shows immaturity. I am only paraphrasing because I don't have the tape here. What I don't understand is why this (the joke at ESPY) is supposed to be funny?

I don't know...

Yes, that's what I'm talking about when I say I'm disappointed - his apparent response to Lance's running it by him.

It's just such a shame that such jokes are even considered, let alone made, at such an event.  Here you have about the most homophobic sub-culture there is in this country - professional male athletes.  It's right up (or down?) there with white supremacists and, I dunno, cowboys and/or Republicans for being infamously so.  And they trot out a joke like that.  And then, like notBastet said, what was even more disturbing was Lance's following that with "I meant the rear of the theater - you people are sick" - as in sick is what you are if you even think about anal sex.  Childish.  Lame.  Insulting beyond words.  But that's Lance for ya.  He is from Texas, after all.  I bet he doesn't even drink coffee, the neocon.  ;)

Seriously, it was in profoundly poor taste on a number of levels, the most egregious of those being that it has the potential to make gays in an already homophobic sub-culture want to run and hide all the more.  Again, nice going, guys.

:'(
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2006, 11:45:58 am »
Yes, that's what I'm talking about when I say I'm disappointed - his apparent response to Lance's running it by him.

It's just such a shame that such jokes are even considered, let alone made, at such an event.  Here you have about the most homophobic sub-culture there is in this country - professional male athletes.  It's right up (or down?) there with white supremacists and, I dunno, cowboys and/or Republicans for being infamously so.  And they trot out a joke like that.  And then, like notBastet said, what was even more disturbing was Lance's following that with "I meant the rear of the theater - you people are sick" - as in sick is what you are if you even think about anal sex.  Childish.  Lame.  Insulting beyond words.  But that's Lance for ya.  He is from Texas, after all.  I bet he doesn't even drink coffee, the neocon.  ;)

Seriously, it was in profoundly poor taste on a number of levels, the most egregious of those being that it has the potential to make gays in an already homophobic sub-culture want to run and hide all the more.  Again, nice going, guys.

:'(

You are so right, it's such a sad and awful way of dealing with things. I know there's humor and you should be able to joke about things, but this is in SUCH poor taste. And yes, especially in this setting.  >:(

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2006, 11:54:50 am »
Uhm.. I watched a brief interview with Lance Armstrong about this on youtube and in it he says that he cleared it with him and that he asked Jake if he was OK with it and Lance said that Jake said "Yes, I love, it, I love it..."

That makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Makes me wonder if Lance is feeding a line of BS there.  I don't believe that Jake said "I love it, I love it."  what a load of crap.  Does that sound like Jake?

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2006, 01:23:07 pm »
Makes me wonder if Lance is feeding a line of BS there.  I don't believe that Jake said "I love it, I love it."  what a load of crap.  Does that sound like Jake?

Not like the Jake that exists in my perfect fantasy world (in which I'm also 25 again and we are exclusive lovers).  That's why it came as such a surprise and disappointment to me.  I can't believe Lance would bold-faced lie about what he said to Ryan Seacrest/the media, but I do agree with Elanorsam that it was very possibly taken out of context or there might have been more to his response than just that.  Or maybe I just like to think that in my perfect fantasy world.  In which, by the way, I have to run.  I'm late for a nooner.
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2006, 07:51:22 am »

I am not sure if I believe that he said that exactly either, it's just not a joke that you can be THAT enthusiastic about if you've just played a key character in one of the most important and influential films about homosexuality to have come out in years.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2006, 10:58:45 am »
Thank you guys so much. You've inadvertently made me feel better, knowing that I wasn't the only one who was, frankly, fucking pissed after hearing about this joke.

I too was disappointed in Jake and I think that's what bothered me the most. It seemed like a completely different person from the Jake who compassionately spoke in interviews promoting Brokeback just five-six months ago. After hearing that he spoke against that type of name-calling on Oprah (I have that episode taped, I just have to go back and watch it sometime -- I'll likely cry so I'm kind of reluctant to watch just yet...), enthusiastically saying "I love it, I love it!" seems like Lance has twisted the truth a little. Or at least I hope so, or else Jake was being a 'good sport.' See, I hope to God Jake actually didn't find that (truly unoriginal, lame-ass) joke that hysterically fucking funny because it seems to contradict his thoughts when he was promoting Brokeback.

And yeah, as for Lance? I cannot stand him. (I am beyond tired of these 'inspirational' athletes overcoming hardships and their stories being glorified...) I think if I see one more picture of him or Matthew Mc-probably-couldn't-upstage-Mischa-Barton-conaughey with Jake, I think I'll (once again) spew blood and patronize bunny rabbits (inside Heathers joke).

Sorry, for the rant. I'll stop for now but if I have more thoughts later, I'll post 'em.

P.S. The thought of Amanda and Leslie starting an outrageous scene is purely sensational. The golden hilarity of that idea is that you just know they would've been outraged if the show wasn't muted -- because they're Brokies and we tend to think frighteningly alike on certain issues. Had I seen the show itself (I saw it online, so I knew what to expect) I think I would've smashed the TV.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 10:15:14 pm by bbm_stitchbuffyfan »
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2006, 07:45:57 pm »
Have you guys heard rumors that Jake is potentially slated to play Lance Armstrong in a biopic?  Maybe that's behind the camaraderie?
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2006, 10:21:56 pm »
I heard those rumors too. They don't look anything alike. I mean, I think all of us here agree that Jake can pull off a gamut of roles. That being said, I don't think he's good for the part because they don't, to me, look anything alike. And isn't it a little effing soon for a Lance Armstrong movie? (I mean he retired, what, last year?) If they want to make a movie about him, it should be for the next generation, allowing them to learn about the 'legend' Armstrong.

I'm bored of Armstrong already what with his 'blatant stalking' of Jake (I know you guys got that one!) so I don't think I could make it through a movie about him. That, and I don't like biographies. I liked Monster, I liked Boys Don't Cry and Jarhead, Capote was decent, and I'm gonna see I'm Not There but other than those, biographies never seem to captivate me. (i.e. Ray)
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

mvansand76

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2006, 07:12:12 am »
See, I hope to God Jake actually didn't find that (truly unoriginal, lame-ass) joke that hysterically fucking funny because it seems to contradict his thoughts when he was promoting Brokeback.

You are so right...

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2006, 08:34:35 am »
Have you guys heard rumors that Jake is potentially slated to play Lance Armstrong in a biopic?  Maybe that's behind the camaraderie?

I've heard he was making a movie about biking and that Lance was heliping him train... but not that it was about Lance.  I like Lance Armstrong's story, but I agree Jake would be wrong for the part  :-\
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73