Author Topic: To Welcome new Aussies....  (Read 19796 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: To Welcome new Aussies....
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 05:26:12 pm »
, you're right about the differences in language.  The word I keep on using is fortnight and it really confuses the Yanks.

Yes Ive said that, and was amazed they dont use the term over in USA....and Ednbarby you are right....two weeks....

some others i have found to baffle...."look like a dag,take-awayfood,he lives in a flat,the car boot,going to the toot,breakfast, lunch and tea

thats just a few i can remember of the top of my head....by the way ednbarby where you from??
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Katie77

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 05:29:54 pm »
....by the way ednbarby where you from??

Sorry, got mixed up there, can see you are from Florida....and thank you for the welcome....

ffrn....where you from??

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 05:50:37 pm »
Yes Ive said that, and was amazed they dont use the term over in USA....and Ednbarby you are right....two weeks....

some others i have found to baffle...."look like a dag,take-awayfood,he lives in a flat,the car boot,going to the toot,breakfast, lunch and tea

thats just a few i can remember of the top of my head....by the way ednbarby where you from??

Okay. I'll give it a try....

"Look like a dag" - I have NO idea!  ???

"Take Away Food" - Fast food? Like McDonalds or Arby's? Or maybe it means "Carry Out" (take it home with you).

"He lives in a flat" - He lives  in an apartment.

"The Car Boot" - The Car Trunk? I remember hearing some British friends of mine referring to the car hood as a "bonnet" I think.

"Going to the toot" - Another guess. Going to the bathroom (toilet)?

"Breakfast, Lunch and tea" - Breakfast, Lunch and an afternoon snack?

Well.... at least I tried.    :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 05:54:39 pm »
f***ing four out of six, aint bad........

looking like a dag.......means dressed in sloppy clothes, just looking like a bit of a mess...

"tea", we refer to dinner as "tea".......we also say dinner......i usually say "tea" if we are eating at home or "dinner" if we are going out.....

an afternoon snack is "afternoon tea"......

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 05:58:00 pm »
Thanks Katie!

You all will have me speaking Aussie in no time!   :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 09:55:14 pm »
G'day all.

ffrn, good to see you in this neck of the woods  ;) :P ;).  wondered when I'd start seeing some familiar names over here!

release day today - the day the world changes for many, many Australians.  on that, I posted the following over at Dave Cullen's site this morning. 

Well, I trotted off to my local Blockbuster immediately after the school run this morning.  Couldn't wait to get in and see where they'd put the boys, how many copies, and if any were actually out yet.  All Very Important Information  .   Turns out they'd put them on the shelves last saturday   .  14 copies, all but 2 were out this morning, which is the first day there's been ANY copies available since it landed   .  So it's been comprehensively devoured - with plenty of forward bookings .... yay yay YAY!

Of course, once I found out it'd had been in for nearly a week, I was DYING to know what people were saying when they returned it.  Spent the next hour discussing same with the woman behind the counter  .  She said she's had a couple of "what was I thinking - I let my 15 yr old daughter watch!" type responses, but not a single 'bad review'.  Apparently the vast majority are saying things like "it wasn't what I expected" "it was staggeringly good" and "it made me realise it takes all kinds to make a world" or similar from older, married folk.  Now that I look at those quotes, I see that I'm not conveying at all what was conveyed to me.  Or rather, those quotes do a disservice to just how profoundly moved these new crop of viewers are - and this particular lot are your WASPish, suburban, family types.  Did I mention the husbands coming in all sheepish saying "the wife wants it", then returning it next day not knowing where to look and mumbling things like "it was ..... very unexpected and very good" and so on?.  Mme S, I actually mentioned to the Blockbuster manager that you and I had considered doing a missive of warning to the SMH, and she pretty much said, "judging by the reactions I'm seeing, you probably should have".   

So there you are folks.  Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were.   What we half-hoped but didn't dare believe might really happen, is happening.  And it's happening all around the country as we speak.  Can only guess at what the weekend will bring - given the peak nights will be friday and saturday   .

Katie, what you said about slipping little notes into the dvd covers isn't a half bad idea, given the above!   BTW, I'm in Blue Mountains - west of Sydney.  Was interested to hear you refer to dinner at home as 'tea', but dinner out is, well, dinner!  Friend of mine does the opposite.   Such a lovely, old British expression  :)

Howdy to all the bilingualists  ;)

W

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 11:01:11 pm »
Mme S, I actually mentioned to the Blockbuster manager that you and I had considered doing a missive of warning to the SMH, and she pretty much said, "judging by the reactions I'm seeing, you probably should have".   

Was interested to hear you refer to dinner at home as 'tea', but dinner out is, well, dinner!  Friend of mine does the opposite.   Such a lovely, old British expression  :)

W

Hello W,

What is SMH?  And what about supper, you guys ever heard a supper?   ;D

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 01:36:13 am »
Hi Wolf,  good to see you here too!  I was beginning to think there were hardly any Aussies here.  I've been here a little while, mostly in Jess's feedstore.

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 01:38:29 am »
ffrn....where you from??
Hi Katie, I'm from near Sydney, not far from Wolf.  I think we've met before in the G'day thread at Dave Cullen's.

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 01:41:49 am »
Okay. I'll give it a try....
"He lives in a flat" - He lives  in an apartment.

Hi David, you're sort of right.  A flat is a rented apartment.  A unit (or occasionally apartment if you want to be snobbish) is an apartment you own.