Author Topic: To Welcome new Aussies....  (Read 19992 times)

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: To Welcome new Aussies....
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2006, 08:10:46 pm »
Strictly speaking, outhouse or longdrop. Wooden, 3 ft square, peaked roof, crescent moon cut in the door, built over a deep hole. But no doubt modern urban Aussies call something with tiles and chrome a dunny too.

Hey there Shuggy (that's my "Merkin" talk  ;)).  We use "longdrop", and/or "head" when in company  :P.  We're a hiking, camping AND sailing family, so both work equally well.  Dunny I haven't heard used since the last time I visited my somewhat feral cousins in rural Queensland.   

Hadn't realised you New Zillunders were losing your glorious uccint.  Is it proliferation of Oz tv shows, or some other culprit?

G'day, Dannyboy.  Did this  ;D ;D ;D ;D when I read your comment about Adelaidians being the world's most boring people.  While I won't dispute that claim  ;) 8) ;), one of the best humans I know is from the city of ... umm ... churches.  Even runs his words together in true SA style of incoprehensibility - leaving me thus  ???.

Cheers

w

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2006, 12:40:18 am »
Hi Danny, I now live in Maryborough Queensland, 200miles north of Brisbane, near Hervey Bay....moved up here 3 years ago, but spent the first 52 years of my life in New South Wales...Sydney......much quieter pace up here....I've never been to Adelaide (the only state i havent been to), (well, except Tasmania, but thats not counted)....I have heard Adelaide is a bit quiet and churchy, knew a lady up here from Port Lincoln, she has gone back there now.

And Shuggy.....I have heard that there are more Kiwis here in Australia now than there are over there....I have known  many Kiwis here, our business partner is Kiwi, so is a lady who works for him, and I have a mate here from Kiwiland as well.....and just something else....and this is a bit private.....I have had six exra marital affairs, and five of them have been with Kiwis...three white, two brown....and that was over a 25yrs period, and none knew each other.......must be something that draws me to them...and I can just see you saying....that obviously they make good lovers.....well I guess I would have to agree with you there...

Havent ever visited the land of the long white cloud, but I have heard it is beautiful, would love to go fishing in the bays there......I just had a giggle to myself then, about going fishin'......with my track record with Kiwis, maybe those fishin' lines might never get wet.....

Thought we would have a few new Aussies here by now, as the movie came out a week ago, but I guess, they are still wondering what the hell is happening to them, and dont know about the message board yet.

Oh and to you yanks out there.....look down a few posts where I have shown four different meanings to the word crook, I havent had any response to that yet...

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2006, 03:57:36 am »
Hey there Shuggy (that's my "Merkin" talk  ;)).  We use "longdrop", and/or "head" when in company  :P.  We're a hiking, camping AND sailing family, so both work equally well.  Dunny I haven't heard used since the last time I visited my somewhat feral cousins in rural Queensland.

I had the impression that "somewhat feral" is the norm in Queensland...   

Hadn't realised you New Zillunders were losing your glorious uccint.  Is it proliferation of Oz tv shows, or some other culprit?

We don't all talk the same (as don't you). There is a spectrum, known as the Dagg to Dougal spectrum, Dagg being "Fred Dagg" (the amazing John Clarke before he had his lobotomy and became an Australian), Dougal being Dougal Stevenson, a TV presenter of the old school. On a scale where Dagg=0 and Dougal=10 I'm about an 8.

"Zillund" and "uccint" is very accurate for Dagg=0: you must have been taking lessons from Lynn of Tawa.

There was an interview with Dougal a few months back where he told of being taught to say "iss-yues" instead of "ish-ues" and my Tim has been saying "iss-ues" ever since.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2006, 12:25:10 am »
Shuggy,

A lobotomised John Clark has the power to make me  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.  then again, I'm genetically lobotomised on account of being umpteenth generation dagg. 

further  :laugh: at your bloke and his 'iss-yues'.  alarmingly for those on the higher end of the dagg to dougal scale, we do same at our dagg house - via the good offices of Kath & Kim.  am very fond of screeching "ISS-YUES" when his nibs gets his panties in wad.

there are POCKETS, albeit small, in QLD that remain un-feral.  or more correctly, have deferalised.  Noosa, for eg.  and Katie's home town of Maryborough has recently been found the Happiest Place in Australia, and is far less feral there than it was a decade ago, when a request for a cappucino was met with "what's that, darl?"

BTW, who, or what, is Lynn of Tawa  ???.  daggie minds need to know!

cheers all

w

Offline Katie77

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2006, 12:39:58 am »
Thank you wulf, for letting Shuggy know that we are quite civilized in Queensland....and yes, Maryborough was voted the happiest town in Australia recently....

I am a Sydney girl, so the pace of Maryborough is quite a contrast....its nice to walk down the street here to be greeted by a "gidday" from a complete stranger, ring the bank up, and give them your first name, and they can look up your account number just from that....buy some curtain material and the girl behind the counter says she will take them home and sew up the edges for you overnight, and go to the little pie shop sitting among the houses and buy one of the best pies in australia for $1.10......

Some may say it is slow, but I know every time I go to Sydney for a visit, I cant wait to get on the plane and head back home.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2006, 12:48:53 am »
I'm still waiting to find out what that one phrase means... you know the one....

Something about "going to the loo and making certain you don't step on any joeys"....

I'm a patient boy though. Momma  taught me right!   :)

Edit: I know what a "loo" is (toilet) so the part about the joeys is really shifting my imagination into overdrive.  ???
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:52:03 am by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2006, 12:57:18 am »
Cripes! The movie wouldn't have been the same if Ennis had said "Jack... Ridgie Didge," would it?
Strictly speaking, outhouse or longdrop. Wooden, 3 ft square, peaked roof, crescent moon cut in the door, built over a deep hole. But no doubt modern urban Aussies call something with tiles and chrome a dunny too.

Shuggy - My grandmother lived in rural Kentucky for a number of years. She had a "small, wooden, 3 ft square, peaked roof, crescent moon cut in the door and built over a deep hole" building in the back yard. We never called it a dunny though....

We just called it the "Sh*t House". (replace the "*" with the letter "i").   :) 
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2006, 01:15:11 am »
I'm still waiting to find out what that one phrase means... you know the one....

Something about "going to the loo and making certain you don't step on any joeys"....

I'm a patient boy though. Momma  taught me right!   :)

Edit: I know what a "loo" is (toilet) so the part about the joeys is really shifting my imagination into overdrive.  ???

"joeys' could mean two things......

1.....baby kangaroos

2.....prickles in the grass.....i havent heard the term for a long time, but i do remember when i was a kid we use to call those little balls of grass prickles "joeys"...another name was "bindies"...which is more used now.....picture a kid walking in the grass and saying "ouch, i got a joey (bindi) in my foot"

So being a "dunny" is an outside "sh*thouse".....either one could apply.....

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2006, 05:27:23 am »
You americans need to start watching home and away!

(I loooove Alf Stewart! Stone the flamin' crows! )

And hello! the very lovely kylie minogue started life out as Charlene in Neighbours!

Strewth - I feel old thinking about the 80s perm she had!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Katie77

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2006, 08:41:13 am »
Kelda, I watch "Home and Away" 7pm every night......

Did you know that Heath was in it for a few episodes when he was about 16.....

What is the story line that you are watching there in Scotland, at the present time?