Author Topic: "Sometimes I miss......  (Read 9689 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
"Sometimes I miss......
« on: July 17, 2006, 01:06:48 am »
From what I here from you regarding this night, most think it happened the last night of the trip. I believe it was the 2nd or 3rd into the trip. Mostly because the conversation revolves about catching up with each others lives, etc. and to me that naturally would have happened early on in the trip. When Jack said how much he missed him, Ennis took it as his queue not to mention that he couldn't until the very end.
I am also in the camp that Jack really was with the rach foreman's wife and the talk of her and Cassie is a bookend to
'I'm not queer".
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 09:31:35 am by Phillip »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Sonetimes I miss......
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 01:47:34 am »
Well, I don't agree with anything you just said here, but I'm delighted that you are saying it!  :)  A belated welcome to BetterMost!  Clarissa

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:59:29 am »
Tell you what, I'm not prepared at this time to agree, either, but I have to admit it has at least crossed my mind to wonder, What if Jack wasn't lying about the gender of the person he was having an affair with? What if it was LaShawn and not Randall?

After all, she is a lively little gal. ...

That might suggest that it still was the tire iron that got Jack, but because he was messin' with LaShawn rather than with Randall. I'm just thinkin' about that line about expectin' to get shot by Lureen or the husband, one.

Yikes, wouldn't that put a different spin on things!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 09:12:34 am »
No way.....it wasnt LaShawn, he was having it off with Randall.....

Remember he had told his daddy he would bring his friend up to the ranch, he was gonna leave his wife.......

Jack didnt need another woman....when he went to mexico, he wanted a man, when he played up, it was with a man.....

But, I do wonder why he even mentioned he was getting a bit on the side, from the ranchers wife.....was it so Ennis wouldnt think he was playing around with another guy, and to give him the picture of him still being a bit of a rascal, but with a woman....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 09:32:04 am »
But, I do wonder why he even mentioned he was getting a bit on the side, from the ranchers wife.....was it so Ennis wouldnt think he was playing around with another guy, and to give him the picture of him still being a bit of a rascal, but with a woman....

I don't have Story to Screenplay with me here at work to check, but hasn't Jack already told Ennis that he could conduct his marriage over the phone? I think you're basically right--he says this so Ennis wouldn't wonder if he was getting "it" with another guy.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

Re: "Sometimes I miss......
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 11:29:31 am »
In Childress, there were a lot of ranch formans wifes besides Leshawn ands as Jack indicated they were no longer relations with him and Lureen. I just don't think Jack would say that to Ennis unless he meant it or was making a joke.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 12:26:05 pm »
No way.....it wasnt LaShawn, he was having it off with Randall.....

Remember he had told his daddy he would bring his friend up to the ranch, he was gonna leave his wife.......

Jack didnt need another woman....when he went to mexico, he wanted a man, when he played up, it was with a man.....

I agree that the comment by John Twist makes it more likely Jack was actually seeing Randall, and of course the invitation we see Randall give to Jack about the cabin.

I've often wondered whether Jack was trying to find a way to actually tell Ennis about Randall that night.  First he asks about Ennis seeing someone, then he mentions seeing the ranch foreman's wife.  There's that maddening pause right after "Tell you what" before he says "sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."  Was he really trying to say "It's the ranch foreman I've been seeing, and not his wife"?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 12:57:02 pm »

I've often wondered whether Jack was trying to find a way to actually tell Ennis about Randall that night.  First he asks about Ennis seeing someone, then he mentions seeing the ranch foreman's wife.  There's that maddening pause right after "Tell you what" before he says "sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."  Was he really trying to say "It's the ranch foreman I've been seeing, and not his wife"?
I think Jacks hesitation is him gathering up his emotions, his voice cracks and he does sound like he is going to loose it. He wouldn't talk about any other men, he knows that would hurt Ennis

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 01:25:25 pm »
I think Jacks hesitation is him gathering up his emotions, his voice cracks and he does sound like he is going to loose it. He wouldn't talk about any other men, he knows that would hurt Ennis

And that's why, even if he might have been going to, he ultimately doesn't mention Randall, I'm sure.   I love how young Jack sounds when he says that line.  It's like he sounded back on Brokeback.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 01:43:01 pm »
And that's why, even if he might have been going to, he ultimately doesn't mention Randall, I'm sure.   I love how young Jack sounds when he says that line.  It's like he sounded back on Brokeback.  :(
I wish Jack would have taken it a step further"Ennis it's killing me not to be with you always, if I could wake up next to you everyday, (gently) I wish that you would just......."