Author Topic: The History of Chez Tremblay  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The History of Chez Tremblay
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 01:30:16 pm »
Leslie, thanks for writing that.  A little more historical perspective -

I found the BBM board on IMDb by following a favorite poster on the Games section to it (he chose not to make the trip here to BetterMost).  That was in October 2005, 2 months before the movie came out (the first time I have EVER been on the early side of a trend).  When I got there, Victoria, delalluvia, The_Chris, and a couple of other current BetterMostians were already going strong.  We discussed the short story we all were reading and re-rereading, and what we could of the movie most of us had never seen.  We discussed the journey the short story took to get made into the movie.  There was much more talk of Gustavo the Composer, Larry and Diana the Screenwriters, Rodrigo the DP than there is now. 

About three people on the board had seen the film in special previews and they were our messiahs who benevolently answered people's endless questions.  Then we started getting waves and waves of new people as the movie opened in major US cities, then medium US cities, then in more theaters in those cities, then everywhere in the US, then Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Asia.  Then more waves as it came out on DVD. 

So to people who have joined us recently and to people yet to come - welcome, bienvenudo, wilkommen, bienvenue.  We're all varying degrees of new, and we all can welcome each other.  As of today, none of us have been here much longer than you.  New people who stick around a while become old-timers.  Three years from now, the people joining this week will all be seen as ancient-timers. 

Clarissa
Elle
Ellemeno

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 01:32:22 pm »
A little more on the beginnings of the Chez Tremblay forum here at BetterMost -

So, as Leslie said, we were at IMDb, and had found a little nook we hoped would stay safe from trolls on the Pierre Tremblay board.  Our goal was to keep this board secret from mean people, but to have it wide-open welcoming to BBM-lovers.  Every time we found a BBM-lover who stuck around a while and was friendly, they were invited over to the Pierre Tremblay board. 

But the trolls found us, made life miserable, and then began making life as a community impossible, as they deleted our threads as fast as we were posting them.  We started to feel really frightened that we wouldn't even be able to find each other, like a really big earthquake was coming through and we couldn't find our loved ones. 

So different people took on different roles - some became troll-slayers, working literally round the clock at times to stave off these attacks.  Some worked for days and weeks to archive our precious threads.  Some worked as benevolent calmer-downers.  Some started gathering other ways to contact each other (my main focus).  And some started out to find us a new home, where we could feel safe.

Celeste was very resourceful and found three or four places to try.  Each time she found us a potential new home, she invted a small handfull of us to beta-test the place with her.  Each time there was something that didn't work about the place.  Til she found BetterMost. 

Celeste contacted the guy running BetterMost (our beloved Phillip Dampier).  He knew all about what was going on on IMDb - some of you might remember him with username 'dampier' there.  He welcomed us as a group, and understanding that we were literally suffering from trauma, started a little side forum we could nestle down in, to lick our wounds and get our bearings.  Almost overnight (more like three days), the membership of BetterMost doubled as fifty or so of us joined here.  So that's how the Chez Tremblay forum was born here.

I give huge credit to Celeste, and to Phil, for making this place happen.  And I always want their roles remembered.  But of course, a club with only two members ain't much of a club, so each of us gets credit too, for making Chez Tremblay and BetterMost what it is.

What joined the original Tremblayans together was a deep love for BBM, and a desire to discuss it together to our hearts' content, in an atmosphere of safety and respect.  Does this describe you?  Then welcome to being a Tremblayan.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 02:22:57 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 02:08:40 pm »
you bet...I'll takt that piture thing from ANY perspective i can get it...teehee...

Thanks for all the history, it makes me respect all of you and  your determination to stay together and flourish...thanks for welcoming me and letting me pitch my tent here with y'all...
 :-*
Gay Lee
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 11:04:39 pm »
After the traumatic leaving of Brandon, Charlie, Sheyne and Mandy (all old-timers), I was reminiscing about the day/night/week when we finally heaved to, abandoned IMDb and came here.

Someone described us as the rabbits from 'Watership Down' looking for shelter.  It was like an earthquake had happened in a small town and everyone was running around, "Have you seen/heard from so and so?" "Did you invite so and so?" "Can I bring so and so?" with a little desperate edge to our postings.  We were traumatized and paranoid, seeing demon trolls behind every innocuous posting, trying to shepherd only our own here.

It was something to experience.  I've never felt that kind of bonding from fanboard members before.  It's one of those things you never forget.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 05:06:07 pm »
Memories....

:-*

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 05:46:38 pm »
2006 was the best (Brokeback and Brokies) and the worst (Birmingham burn-out) of times. It has been a growth experience for me-letting go of some of my obsession with both Brokeback Mountain, the Tremblayans and Bettermost but the time spent here has absolutely been some of the best of my life. That movie will forever be a watershed event in my life and having the opportunity to share it with the like-minded peeps here is a richness beyond description.

My own personal  O0 (remember the "ghetto smilie" comment-from someone who turned out to be one of my favorite fan fic writers  ;D) makes me know just how much a part of this family I am. I miss those Tremblayans who have moved on and rejoice in those that have chosen to become. My only regret for them is that they were not with us in those halcyon Brokeback days-when our love was fresh and new and joyful. I hope they have found new joys here and that us "old timers" hold on to what brought us-and keeps us-here.

O0

Heathen

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 03:08:31 pm »
2006 was the best (Brokeback and Brokies) and the worst (Birmingham burn-out) of times. It has been a growth experience for me-letting go of some of my obsession with both Brokeback Mountain, the Tremblayans and Bettermost but the time spent here has absolutely been some of the best of my life. That movie will forever be a watershed event in my life and having the opportunity to share it with the like-minded peeps here is a richness beyond description.

My own personal  O0 (remember the "ghetto smilie" comment-from someone who turned out to be one of my favorite fan fic writers  ;D) makes me know just how much a part of this family I am. I miss those Tremblayans who have moved on and rejoice in those that have chosen to become. My only regret for them is that they were not with us in those halcyon Brokeback days-when our love was fresh and new and joyful. I hope they have found new joys here and that us "old timers" hold on to what brought us-and keeps us-here.

O0

Amen, sister!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"