Author Topic: Crouching Sensibility Hidden Meaning  (Read 12672 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Crouching Sensibility Hidden Meaning
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 10:22:28 pm »
Welcome, Mel, into the Wuxia lovers. U know, I was thinking (I'm sounding like Alma Jr) that some of the best Wuxia-type stories today are Westerns. I'm thinking that one of the stories I would most like to see is the trilogy that begins with "All the Pretty Horses." In my mind, it is a Wuxia story. The movie missed the point, it was miscast. I think it should have starred...Hugh Jackman. Yes, an Aussie.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 03:44:32 pm »
Lee,

I can see where you are going with Wuxia and Western connection.  I see some similarities, the way of their lives, the values they shared, how they express their gratitude/loyalty and take their revenges.  The problem is I hardly watch any Westerns, or read any Western stories, so it’s hard for me to come up with some good Westerns that carry the Wuxia spirit.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 03:55:34 pm »
"All the Pretty Horses" Might be a good place to start. It is the first book in a trilogy by Cormac McCarthy. He is the author who comes closest in my mind to Annie Proulx in her Wyoming stories. Read an excerpt here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0679744398/ref=sib_fs_top/104-5048653-7762315?ie=UTF8&p=S00C&checkSum=vQkVaeJqIFwNr8jBT9jZdOOvGmk%2Bww%2FdAbnvl4PvKQU%3D#reader-link
It's not exactly a Western, taking place in Texas and Mexico during about the same time period as BBM. Trouble is, the movie had some problems...starting with the casting of Matt Damon as the lead. I think it would have been 100% better with someone like Hugh Jackman. Whether this is a Wuxia novel/movie, some might find a topic of discussion. If only martial arts/warrior yarns are considered Wuxia, then no it's not. But if we define Wuxia as more the epic journey, the "war within" and the coming of age type of story, then yes it definitely is, and so is Brokeback Mountain.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 07:23:31 pm »
Interestingly, wikipedia uses Luke Skywalker as an illustration of wuxia heroes. The original Star Wars trilogy did have a western heart.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 10:51:31 pm »
WARNING: Unintelligent question ahead. Beware.

How do you pronounce 'wuxia?' I'm sitting here at my computer thinking, 'Is it like 'woojia?' or 'woozia?''

I know nothing about this type of story (I'm not Asian either). By the way, I loved Crouching Tiger. I haven't seen it in a few years, sadly, but I immensely enjoyed it the first time around. The acting, cinematography, and score were all so good. When I first saw it though, directing was a concept that shot over my head (I was, I think, in 6th grade when I saw it the first time) and I'd really like to watch it again, not only cause I remember loving it but for Ang Lee as well. Are there similarly fascinating nuances in CTHD in comparison to the brilliant touches in Brokeback?
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 05:16:39 pm »
WARNING: Unintelligent question ahead. Beware.

How do you pronounce 'wuxia?' I'm sitting here at my computer thinking, 'Is it like 'woojia?' or 'woozia?''

It can be hard to pronounce “X” for English speaker as there is no such sound in English.  You will be very close to pronounce it as “woo she-ah”.

Are there similarly fascinating nuances in CTHD in comparison to the brilliant touches in Brokeback?

Repressed feelings, the love between Master Li Mu Bai and Yu Shu Lien, the deep need and longing, passion and regret.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 06:32:40 pm »
Repressed feelings, the love between Master Li Mu Bai and Yu Shu Lien, the deep need and longing, passion and regret.

and the theme of sublimating one's desire for the sake of social acceptance. As we see in Ennis as well as in the relationship between Mu Bai and Shu Lien
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006, 12:58:27 am »
and the theme of sublimating one's desire for the sake of social acceptance. As we see in Ennis as well as in the relationship between Mu Bai and Shu Lien

Very true... Nipith, you always find words to say things in a way that sounds perfect.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2006, 05:10:17 am »
I have read all your comments with great interest and I now can say I still hated it.  'my bad?  Sorry my cultured crew, but expressionless actors swinging from pullies over a blue screen just doesn't do it for me, even if there is a gorgeous carving knife and a lovely ivory hair rake involved!  I still rate it equal with watching an electric drill entering my eye.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2006, 08:39:03 am »
I have read all your comments with great interest and I now can say I still hated it.  'my bad?  Sorry my cultured crew, but expressionless actors swinging from pullies over a blue screen just doesn't do it for me, even if there is a gorgeous carving knife and a lovely ivory hair rake involved!  I still rate it equal with watching an electric drill entering my eye.

Ray, this is why I love you. Siimple, direct, to the point. No mincing words, no dancing around the issue. LOL

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!