Author Topic: Oprah ISN"T gay - glad we got that out of the way....  (Read 2050 times)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Oprah ISN"T gay - glad we got that out of the way....
« on: July 18, 2006, 03:10:31 pm »
O MAGAZINE: THIS MONTH'S MISSION
FEATURED ARTICLES
OPRAH'S CUT

GAYLE AND OPRAH—UNCENSORED
by Lisa Kogan

After 30 years of four-times-a-day phone calls, Oprah and Gayle sit down with O, The Oprah Magazine's columnist Lisa Kogan for a startlingly honest chat—about their friendship, working relationship and those tabloid rumors (who could forget that night in the Bahamas? Not the bellboy).

Lisa: Well, let's get right to it! Every time I tell somebody, "I'm interviewing Oprah and Gayle," the response is always the same: "Oh. [Long pause] Are they…you know…together?"

Oprah: You're kidding. People are still saying that?

Lisa: Every single person. And I say, "No, I don't think so." And invariably, they respond with something like "You know, you're very naive."

Oprah: I understand why people think we're gay. There isn't a definition in our culture for this kind of bond between women. So I get why people have to label it—how can you be this close without it being sexual? How else can you explain a level of intimacy where someone always loves you, always respects you, admires you?

Gayle: Wants the best for you.

Oprah: Wants the best for you in every single situation of your life. Lifts you up. Supports you. Always! That's an incredibly rare thing between even the closest of friends.

Gayle: The truth is, if we were gay, we would so tell you, because there's nothing wrong with being gay.

Oprah: Yeah. But for people to still be asking the question, when I've said it and said it and said it, that means they think I'm a liar. And that bothers me.

Gayle: Well, particularly given how open you've been about everything else in your life.

Oprah: I've told nearly everything there is to tell. All my stuff is out there. People think I'd be so ashamed of being gay that I wouldn't admit it? Oh, please.

Lisa: Do the rumors bother you, Gayle?

Gayle: Not anymore, but I used to say, "Oprah, you have to do something. It's hard enough for me to get a date on a Saturday night. You've got to go on the air and stop it!" And then you realize you really can't stop it. And, you know, somebody made a good point: "Well, every time we see you, you're together," which is true.

Oprah: We were just down in the Bahamas—I was giving a wedding for my niece there. And we're having this big party in my suite. And who comes walking in—

Gayle: With my suitcase.

Oprah: With her suitcase! And I knew what all the waiters, what everybody was thinking: They're gay. This proves it. Has to be, because Stedman isn't around.

Gayle: And sure enough, the tabloid headline was "Oprah's Hideaway with Gal Pal." Ridiculous. But that said, I have to admit, if Oprah were a man, I would marry her.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)