Author Topic: Gay Detecting Radar  (Read 16305 times)

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Gay Detecting Radar
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2006, 09:07:59 pm »
I find the word "queer" to be a personal insult to all gay people because of it's history in gay culture.  Both "queer" and "fag" go way back and were used to degrade gays, much as the "N" word is used against people of color.  I prefer "gay" because it is non-gender descriptive, and I've even know females who prefer it over "lesbian".  However, in today's society, where homosexuals are broken down into so many different categories, i.e., gay, lesbian, transgender, transsexual, bi-sexual, cross-dresser, and a-sexual, one word isn't going to work for all of us.  Diversity defines the inner person, so calling a cross-dresser "gay" is probably not the right choice...most cross-dressers are not gay.  So I advocate the use of "homosexual" for males AND females who really are, and the rest by the name that they are known as.  Afterall, I do not believe the term "cross-dresser" is derrogatory, and it adequately defines that individual, as does the rest of the list.

RE: Gaydar...I have, I use it, and so far it has been most accurate.  I suspected Joe Namath long before he became a topic of concern, and Billie Jean King, Martina, and most recently Cheryl Swoops.  There are many other I suspect, both famous and infamous.  Notice these people are over 40, and as mentioned above, it's the under 30 crowd who is difficult to read.  But, I also believe gaydar is just there...you have it or not, and you can't explain why you know.  You just do....Dpoug

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2006, 01:46:38 pm »
I don't know the answer for sure, lauragigs, but you'll notice over on the Chez Tremblay forum that "Jake, Jake, Jake" has about 120 pages whereas "Heath, Heath, Heath" has somewhere in the 70s. Looks like you Heathens need to get busier!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2006, 03:51:15 pm »
I don't know the answer for sure, lauragigs, but you'll notice over on the Chez Tremblay forum that "Jake, Jake, Jake" has about 120 pages whereas "Heath, Heath, Heath" has somewhere in the 70s. Looks like you Heathens need to get busier!!

Like Katie said, I think it's a matter of (whether real or imagined ;)) availability.  Were Heath apparently single, we'd be talking a lot more about what kind of package he is (and has).

;D

And just for the record, I think Heath is a lovely person.  Seems like a good old-fashioned nice guy, but at the same time is very complex.  He is just not my "type" coloring-wise - I've always gone for the darker-haired boys and men; the blonds remind me too much of myself and my brothers, I think.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 03:54:05 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2006, 12:31:55 pm »
About the word "fag." Most of these types of words had the opposite connotation in ancient times as they do now. I was vacationing in Switzerland around Easter one time and I saw people trimming the trees and arranging bundles of sticks and twigs neatly beside the road. I asked them what they were doing and they said, "gathering faggots." It is a tradition in those parts to trim the trees in the spring. But, even earlier, nature-worshipping groups such as the Druids prepared these faggots and carried them in rituals celebrating the seasons. Then, when Christians and other patriarchial religions came to power, they defiled the actions and words of the earlier religions, and faggot became a term of derision. Another example of this is the word witch, which used to mean a wise woman, as did the word hag. Look behind most words like this and you will find an interesting story of political and religious upheaval.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2006, 06:39:38 pm »
I dont know if you do over there, but we actually call a cigarette a "fag"......

I'ts quite common for someone to say "I'm going outside for a fag, or I need to buy a packet of fags.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2006, 04:04:23 am »
I dont know if you do over there, but we actually call a cigarette a "fag"......

I'ts quite common for someone to say "I'm going outside for a fag, or I need to buy a packet of fags.

Yup the UK too.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/