Author Topic: Fanfiction by Helen (1_of_one on LJ)  (Read 54645 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Fanfiction by Helen (1_of_one on LJ)
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2006, 03:13:15 pm »
I posted an LJ at the end of your latest chapter, but I just wanted to say... after all of the fancy-schmanzy Au! and AuAu! and increasingly exotic and bizarre permutations of Ennis and Jack you have done something so simple it is amazing no one else has tried it:  put them into the present tense.  Where being gay isnt so much a mark of death as it is a setting-apart from the larger, more acceptable society - something more to be avoided than feared.  And the portrayal of the characters in their need and desire for one another, their inability to shake off the inconveniences and weaknesses within themselves so that they can be together, shows at core the real tragedy of the original story - as Shakespeare said "The flaw is not in our stars, but in ourselves..."
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

one_of_one

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2006, 04:44:27 pm »
Hey ya Helen, I am going back to the beginning and reading "Modern Way" from the start, and something brought me up short.

He grabbed his wash bag in an angry movement and stamped into the shower room.

What's a wash bag?

It's a bag in which you put your soap and razor and toothpaste and stuff.  ARGH  What do you peeps call it?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2006, 05:01:51 pm »
the only thing that sounds remotely like that is perhaps a shaving kit.  Anyone else?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

one_of_one

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2006, 05:25:37 pm »
Does that include toothpaste and soap and stuff other than shaving items?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2006, 05:03:28 am »
Frankly, I don't know... I'm not a man!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2006, 05:48:12 am »
In our home we call it "the bathroom bag" but I think that might be our own little personal twist. Shaving kit, toiletry bag?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

one_of_one

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2006, 05:48:56 am »
LOL - I'm not a man either but I know what a washbag is and what it might contain.  ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2006, 06:31:57 am »
LOL - I'm not a man either but I know what a washbag is and what it might contain.  ;)

Cosmetic bag or cosmetic kit is what women call it I believe.  But I don't know what is contained in a shaving kit, since ... I'm not a man and don't have one around to consult.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2006, 06:44:27 am »
In our home we call it "the bathroom bag" but I think that might be our own little personal twist. Shaving kit, toiletry bag?

L

In Spanish we call it neceser and according to my dictionary the translation into English is: toilet bag (for men and women), or make-up bag.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

one_of_one

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2006, 03:03:15 pm »
To be honest, I think most people are going to make the  connection between washbag, man picking it up and shower scene without me changing it.