Author Topic: An Invitation to the ABCs of BBM Game  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
An Invitation to the ABCs of BBM Game
« on: July 19, 2006, 02:06:59 pm »

U R cordially invited to play the "ABCs of BBM" Game

On April 3rd, Will-U started the "ABCs of BBM" game here at the BetterMost Forum.  The game made the move here after a long and successful run at IMDB's "BBM" Board, where this particular version of the "ABCs" game originated.  Basically, players take turns posting words -- in alphabetical order, of course -- related to Brokeback Mountain.  Believe it or not, our game is now well into its 180th round, and today we reached yet another milestone:  our 5,000th post!  Yes, that's a lot of alphabet letters, but its also a symbol of what a group of people working together can accomplish.

If you haven't checked out the "ABCs" game yet, you're invited to come on over and see what it's all about.  The same invitation is extended to past players who haven't posted in a while.  The game is located on the "ABCs & 123s" board, and the official rules are listed in post #1. (Don't be intimidated by them!)   There's also an Answers Played List in a separate file since the most important rule of all is that words cannot repeat.

We're always excited to have new players join us.  Come share our fun.  But be forewarned:  The ABCs game is addictive!

Come and play.  Everything's A-OK!

Gamely,
Will, Fran, and Sandy
Game Moderators

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 04:33:22 pm by Fran »

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: An Invitation to the ABCs of BBM Game
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 11:10:22 am »
Hi Fran, we've been reminiscing about our history at BetterMost recemtly over on CT.  I'd love to add my memories of the beginning of the ABCs thread:

When I was at IMDb, I started a BBM ABCs game.  I thought it would be a great way to use our knowledge and love.  It got several postings, but not many, and it died out.  I wanted it casual, but casual didn't work.  It needed more disciplined structure than I was willing to impose.  Then a while later Will-U started his thread, and it caught on like wildfire. 

One of the first things I did after I got here to BetterMost (on March 30, 2006, 01:41:07 am) as the second IMDb refugee (after YaadPyar) was ask Phillip if we could have an ABC game like the one we'd had at IMDb.  He agreed, and we talked about where on the site might be a good spot for it.  I also suggested to him that AnnMarie (who arrived here on March 30, 2006, 12:23:57 pm, the fourth refugee - after jmmgallagher) would be a great coordinator for it.

I then PM'ed AnnMarie and asked her if she wanted to be the one to get the game started here.  She agreed, and Phillip made her the moderator. 

Three days after AnnMarie and I got here, you (Fran) came as the 53rd IMDb refugee (on April 02, 2006, 06:06:50 am).  Then a few hours after that, Will-U arrived here as the 55th refugee (on April 02, 2006, 12:55:01 pm).  You and AnnMarie and Will-U worked together, and the ABCs thread was officially launched with its first post by Will-U the next day (on April 03, 2006, 07:58:45 pm). 

I want to thank you three so much for getting the game up and running.  I knew that if BetterMost was going to be a true paradise, I wanted an ABCs game!  Thank you too, to all the people who ever played the game (I can't bring myself to put a Z in a word that normally has an S).  It's been a very fun part of BetterMost.

Offline Mary Twist

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 05:04:03 pm »
Thank you for a renewed invitation.  It's nice to be invited.  Sadly, not everyone does that nowadays.

I so enjoy the Brokeback Mountain game of the A-B-C's so very much here as I did at the Internet Movie Database's bulletin board for BBM.  It is a game of knowledge and wit and fun and, particularly, an endeavor for all ages.

I am sorry to read that a lovely and pretty young girl Mandy has moved out of the Better Most community.  She was always so delightful and helpful to me.  Did she return to the IMD board if anyone knows?  I have had nice messages from coordinators at the game, as I recall, Will-ABC, AnnMarie, the Front Ranger, DeeDee and Mister Toast.  I enjoyed reading the inforrmation and reminiscing above from Miss Fran and Mr. Ellemeno.  As some of you may know, I was a dedicated player at the former location.    

I have to leave this area now as I am inspired to try my luck and go play a letter at the A-B-C's.

God bless all of you BBM game participants from Mrs. Mary S. Twist 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 12:46:20 pm by Mary Twist »
You come back and see us soon.  We'll have fresh hot coffee and homemade cherry cake!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 10:14:25 am »
I want to thank you three so much for getting the game up and running.  I knew that if BetterMost was going to be a true paradise, I wanted an ABCs game!  Thank you too, to all the people who ever played the game.  It's been a very fun part of BetterMost.

Thanks, Clarissa.

I do agree that the ABCs game has been, and continues to be, a very fun part of BetterMost.  Of course, I'm biased, but it remains my favorite destination.  I became "addicted" to Will's ABCs game over at IMDB and was very disappointed when the original ABCS game file was marked as "read only" when it maxed out at 1,500 posts and doubly disappointed when the continuation game file was ultimately removed due to a trolll attack.  I was very excited to hear that Will was willing to restart the ABCs game here at BetterMost and equally pleased to be asked to be a moderator (along with Ann Marie) by Will.  I can tell you that while Ann Marie, Sandy, and myself share Will's love of this game, it was his "vision" that initially mapped out the rules and set the game's high standards, and it is his dedication to the game and attention to detail that keep it going along as strong as it has. 

And since I failed to mention the contribution of Sandy (Memento) in my initial post, here goes:  As long as we're thanking Will, Ann Marie, and me for getting the game up and running, we also need to thank Sandy (Memento), the fourth person to wear an ABCs Moderator hat.  Sandy has done more than her share in recent weeks to maintain the game's high standards, often single-handedly on very busy days.  So, thank you, Sandy, from a grateful me.

:)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 04:31:12 pm by Fran »

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 06:43:06 pm »
Congratulations, Fran and Sandy! I'm amazed there are still enough words left in the dictionary to match each letter. Great job keeping it going.  :)