Author Topic: Your OTHER orientation  (Read 12059 times)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Your OTHER orientation
« on: July 19, 2006, 03:39:58 pm »
I thought about phrasing it this way: which do you prefer, scooping up poop from a box in your house, or picking up fresh poop with a bagged hand?  But I thought I might give away my opinion.  Not that I mind.  You can probably see that's no orange tabby-dog on that radiator.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Your OTHER orientation
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:58:21 pm »
Sarah -

I think you know all about me on this one....

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 04:02:37 pm »
Aaaaaaaaahhh!
The second one!

I'm gonna bust with love.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 04:17:19 pm »
Allow me to be the first official Dog Person to cast my vote here.  I have nothing against cats (except my extreme allergy to their dander) and grew up with several different ones, all of whom I loved dearly.  But I've found that the cats I loved the most were more like dogs than cats.  Mario, for example, would greet me at the door when I came home from school and curl up at my feet while I did my homework or read the paper.  He was by far my favorite.  But my dogs were always my babies.  I miss and mourn each and every one of them like long-lost friends.  I like the musty way a (clean) dog smells - kind of like grass.  I like the way they wag their tails and follow me around a house.  And I like a *big* dog, although I can see the allure of having one small enough to curl up on your lap.

Yep.  Make mine a dawg.  I'll take two, in fact.
No more beans!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 04:20:46 pm »
Barb, I must admit that Henry the cat has opened my mind and heart a little wider to dogs, because he IS quite a dog.  Very social, follows me around, greets me at the door.  He also has a total unselfconsciousness that reminds me more of dogs than of other cats, and lastly he has the coloring of a Pembroke corgi, hence one of his nicknames, Corgicat.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 04:26:21 pm »
Barb, I must admit that Henry the cat has opened my mind and heart a little wider to dogs, because he IS quite a dog.  Very social, follows me around, greets me at the door.  He also has a total unselfconsciousness that reminds me more of dogs than of other cats, and lastly he has the coloring of a Pembroke corgi, hence one of his nicknames, Corgicat.

I like that - total unselfconsciousness - that's *exactly* what Mario had.  He was a black and white domestic, and he was named for his one cat-like behavior: tearing through the house from one end to the other and back again at warp speed (so my parents named him Mario after Mario Andretti, the Indy car racer).  He also returned balls and sticks and would jump off the break wall into the lake after the big maple leaves that fell from our tree into it and swim his way out with one in his mouth like a Golden Retriever.  Man, I miss him.  I think about him as often as I do my dearly departed dogs, but he's the only one out of seven cats I've had that I think of in that way.
No more beans!

vkm91941

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 07:12:30 pm »

BIG dog lover here!  Of course there's nothing wrong with cats, I'm just terribly allergic to them.  Rabbits and all rodent like creatures as well.  So it's dogs, fish and birds at our house.  I have a personal revulsion for reptiles so no lizards, snakes or frogs in my house.  ::)

This is Bailey the puppy we got him for Dave when he was born, he had gotten into the mud and was being scolded.  Stephen, my husband, trained him to get his own leash and then walk with it in his mouth at Stephen's side so techincally he was not breaking the leash law. Silly man loved to get tickets for not leashing the dog so he could go to court and make his point.   ::)   Darlin dog big goofy and clueless, we adored him.

This is Princess Peaches, my first mini dachshund and the canine love of my life, my little soul mate.  I swear she understood every word I ever said to her.  Amazing dog incredibly intelligent, intuiative and loving.

and this is Miss Sassie, the little girl who brightens my life right now, don't let that sweet innocent look fool you, she's a pistol.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:37:44 am by vkm91941 »

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 12:45:25 am »
I'm the first "bi-animal" vote *lol* 

I love both cats and dogs (and birds, fish, rodents, farm animals etc.) for various reasons. 

Cats:  We have two right now.  Petunia is your typical cat - talks to you when she wants you, lays with you when she feels like it, bites you when her mood strikes.  She's independent and lovely.  Peyton is a dog in a cats clothing.  He plays fetch with tennis balls, greets us at the door, and will sit in your lap when you want him.  Cats in general though are able to entertain themselves and are fairly self sufficient.  You don't need to board your cat if you are going away for the night - which is a huge plus! 

Dogs:  They are special in their own way.  The bark when there are intruders, they do funny things like steal your spouses hamburger off of their plate, they at least allow you to pretend like you are in charge sometimes (as opposed to cats!) and they are always happy for your attention.

All animals and pets have a place in my heart.  Each has their own personality and enlightens your life in different ways.  Each also finds their own path to your heart. 

I love animals :)
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline dannyboy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 08:06:14 am »

dogs are cool

my dog saved my life once. it stopped to have a poo on the side of the road when i was out jogging and my headphones were up real loud and i would never have heard the car that came flying around the corner and would have collected me if sam didn't need to do her business.

i don't look unfavourably on dog poo anymore either  :P

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 12:36:09 pm »
I love pets but can not have them in my house.  I just don't like to take care of them.  The kitten and puppy pictures are just too cute.  Thanks for sharing.