Author Topic: Your view on recent Middle East crisis  (Read 24979 times)

Giancarlo

Re: Your view on recent Middle East crisis
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2006, 03:25:39 pm »
I hate to say this but I do not agree with the economist here. In fact, what I think is that Hezbollah must at least be reduced. I know it probably won't be defeated, but it has to be reduced and its capacity to make war has to be reduced.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2006, 06:19:07 pm »
The key to trouble all over the world - cultures where pride/honor are tied to manliness/power/status:

Hezbollah needs to be given a way to consent to these changes without losing face.

vkm91941

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 05:10:37 pm »
Just seems to me GWB is making enemies for the US faster than he can send troops in to kill them...all in the name of democracy... that's almost as bad as those who hide behind G*d to do it.  ::)

I got this e-mail today thought I'd share....

Dear Victoria,

United with one voice, Democratic leaders from Joe Biden to John Murtha sent a clear message to George Bush -- it's time for a New Direction in Iraq. Our plan is straightforward: we believe that a phased redeployment of U.S. forces from Iraq should begin by the end of 2006. And our soldiers in the region should transition to a more limited mission focused on counterterrorism, force protection of U.S. personnel, training and logistical support of Iraqi security forces.

Read the letter below and add your name by visiting:

http://giveemhellharry.com/iraq

Thank you,

Harry Reid

July 30, 2006

The President
The White House
Washington, D.C.

Dear Mr. President:

While the world has been focused on the crisis in the Middle East, Iraq has exploded in violence. Some 6,000 Iraqis were killed in May and June, and sectarian and insurgent violence continues to claim American and Iraqi lives at an alarming rate. In the face of this onslaught, one can only conclude that the Baghdad security plan you announced five weeks ago is in great jeopardy.

Despite the latest evidence that your Administration lacks a coherent strategy to stabilize Iraq and achieve victory, there has been virtually no diplomatic effort to resolve sectarian differences, no regional effort to establish a broader security framework, and no attempt to revive a struggling reconstruction effort. Instead, we learned of your plans to redeploy an additional 5,000 U.S. troops into an urban war zone in Baghdad. Far from implementing a comprehensive "Strategy for Victory" as you promised months ago, your Administration's strategy appears to be one of trying to avoid defeat.

Meanwhile, U.S. troops and taxpayers continue to pay a high price as your Administration searches for a policy. Over 2,500 Americans have made the ultimate sacrifice and over 18,000 others have been wounded. The Iraq war has also strained our military and constrained our ability to deal with other challenges. Readiness levels for the Army are at lows not seen since Vietnam, as virtually no active Army non-deployed combat brigade is prepared to perform its wartime missions. American taxpayers have already contributed over $300 billion and each week we stay in Iraq adds nearly $3 billion more to our record budget deficit.

In the interests of American national security, our troops, and our taxpayers, the open-ended commitment in Iraq that you have embraced cannot and should not be sustained.

Rather, we continue to believe that it is time for Iraqis to step forward and take the lead for securing and governing their own country. This is the principle enshrined in the "United States Policy in Iraq Act" enacted last year. This law declares 2006 to be a year of "significant transition to full Iraqi sovereignty, with Iraqi security forces taking the lead for the security of a free and sovereign Iraq, thereby creating the conditions for the phased redeployment of United States forces from Iraq." Regrettably, your policy seems to be moving in the opposite direction.

This legislation made clear that Iraqi political leaders must be informed that American patience, blood and treasure are not unlimited. We were disappointed that you did not convey this message to Prime Minister Maliki during his recent visit. Reducing the U.S. footprint in Iraq will not only give the Iraqis a greater incentive to take the lead for the security of their own nation, but will also allow U.S. forces to be able to respond to contingencies affecting the security of the United States elsewhere in the world.

We believe that a phased redeployment of U.S. forces from Iraq should begin before the end of 2006. U.S. forces in Iraq should transition to a more limited mission focused on counterterrorism, training and logistical support of Iraqi security forces, and force protection of U.S. personnel.

Additionally, every effort should be made to urge the Iraqis to take the steps necessary to achieve a broad-based and sustainable political settlement, including amending the constitution to achieve a fair sharing of power and resources. It is also essential to disarm the militias and ensure forces loyal to the national government. Finally, an international conference should be convened to persuade other governments to be more involved, and to secure the resources necessary to finance Iraq=s reconstruction and rebuild its economy.

Mr. President, simply staying the course in Iraq is not working. We need to take a new direction. We believe these recommendations comprise an effective alternative to the current open-ended commitment which is not producing the progress in Iraq we would all like to see. Thank you for your careful consideration of these suggestions.

Harry Reid, Senate Democratic Leader
Nancy Pelosi, House Democratic Leader
Dick Durbin, Senate Assistant Democratic Leader
Steny Hoyer, House Minority Whip
Carl Levin, Ranking Member, Senate Armed Services Committee
Ike Skelton, Ranking Member, House Armed Services Committee
Joe Biden, Ranking Member, Senate Foreign Relations Committee
Tom Lantos, Ranking Member, House International Relations Committee
Jay Rockefeller, Vice Chairman, Senate Intelligence Committee
Jane Harman, Ranking Member, House Intelligence Committee
Daniel Inouye, Ranking Member, Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee
John Murtha, Ranking Member, House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee

Add your name now:

http://giveemhellharry.com/iraq

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 08:14:33 pm »
This whole Middle East crisis is driving me mad. I am a pacifist … just so you understand my POV. IMO, President Bush has created much of the instability in that region by insisting the US invade Iraq to rid Sadam “Insane” and promote democracy. What has happened? Increased sectarian violence, children being murdered, and our so-called “good men/women in uniform” torturing, berating and raping other human beings. It makes me sick! I am not saying Sadam Hussein was a good or ethical leader. However, we had no exit strategy. We had nothing! We assumed that the Iraqi people would welcome us with open arms. Bullocks! Bush completely underestimated the difficulty of the situation. Furthermore, Bush does not understand the word “diplomacy.” He reacts and says that it is because of our “war on terror” … yeah, right.  We are not safer than we were before. IMO, we are more of a target than ever before.

As for the whole Israel/ Lebanon conflict … it is just one more thing that makes me livid. If Israel was any other country doing what they are doing …. The US would be condemning them. Instead, we turn our backs because Israel is our “ally.” We close our eyes to all of the civilians being murdered at the hands of the Israeli soldiers. Again, the word “diplomacy” is not in Bush’s vocabulary.

All I can say is that Bush must have a small penis because he keeps using “guns” as a way to achieve so-called democracy! What a laugh! The man does not understand the word.

I am sorry I went off of the deep end about this issue. However, it just burns my butt that he proclaims he’s spreading democratic values and liberties when he continues to abuse his power here at home and strip us of our own civil liberties!

Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 09:19:00 pm »
This whole Middle East crisis is driving me mad.
As for the whole Israel/ Lebanon conflict … it is just one more thing that makes me livid.

I couldn't agree with you more. I just wish the rest of the world understood how powerless the American people have become and how politicans have used their power for truly evil purposes. Nothing about any of it makes any sense to me.

What infuriates ME most is that if we had taken this--what is it now $80 billion?--and put it into a kind of Manhattan Project to develop alternative energy, we'd have given quality work to Americans, and we'd have a technology to export. Not to mention defusing some of the hatred the world has for us. Instead, we've got the biggest debt load in history and a last house-of-cards economy. Not to mention 100,000 dead. Stupid stupid stupid. A small penis is the only thing that explains it, if you ask me . . . .

Watch the price of gas inching up just enough for huge profits but not enough to start a revolution. If you think that's a free market economy at work, I've got a bridge for you to look at . . . .
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 09:35:11 pm »
ekeby (love your handle, by the way), I couldn't agree with you more, myself.  What I'd like to see is gas going up to about $6 a gallon.  That would be enough, I figure, to force a revolution.  A revolution that would force people to turn to mass transit, bicycles, super-fuel-efficient cars, and return to the urban centers of our country.  And those urban centers would finally be refurbished the way they deserve to be, and all of us schmos in the suburbs and exurbs would live there and enjoy the sense of community people in my generation grew up with before the world got flat.

What I'd also like to see is Jake G. at my doorstep with a dozen white roses enmeshed in lavendar lilacs wanting to whisk me away in a chariot drawn by unicorns, and that ain't happening, either.

What infuriates me the most about this latest Middle East crisis, and every one before it, really, is my and just about everyone else's powerlessness in the whole thing.  I want to take all these people - all these religious extremists from every faction - and smack some sense into them.

Man, being a true pacifist is tricky business in this world.   :P
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 09:37:12 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 09:42:32 pm »
I couldn't agree with you more. I just wish the rest of the world understood how powerless the American people have become and how politicians have used their power for truly evil purposes. Nothing about any of it makes any sense to me.

What infuriates ME most is that if we had taken this--what is it now $80 billion?--and put it into a kind of Manhattan Project to develop alternative energy, we'd have given quality work to Americans, and we'd have a technology to export. Not to mention defusing some of the hatred the world has for us. Instead, we've got the biggest debt load in history and a last house-of-cards economy. Not to mention 100,000 dead. Stupid stupid stupid. A small penis is the only thing that explains it, if you ask me . . . .

Watch the price of gas inching up just enough for huge profits but not enough to start a revolution. If you think that's a free market economy at work, I've got a bridge for you to look at . . . .

AGREED! I think that if Bush would invest 1/10th in the future of our children’s education vs. more and more money into a war we’ll never win … we might be getting somewhere. It pains me to think that the rest of the world associates us (US Americans) to be in line with Bush’s policies. I get more and more concerned as to where our country is going. But you know …. I am irritated at those who chose to put Bush back in office. We are certainly in worse shape because of it. (Have you ever thought about what our nation would be like had our valid president, Al Gore, been put in office? We would be a completely different country. And, IMO, a much better country!!)

Errrrrr …..
Diane

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 09:45:13 pm »
Have you ever thought about what our nation would be like had our valid president, Al Gore, been put in office? We would be a completely different country. And, IMO, a much better country!!

I think about it all the time.   :'(
No more beans!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006, 09:46:40 pm »
What infuriates me the most about this latest Middle East crisis, and every one before it, really, is my and just about everyone else's powerlessness in the whole thing.  I want to take all these people - all these religious extremists from every faction - and smack some sense into them.

Man, being a true pacifist is tricky business in this world.   :P

Ditto! I couldn't agree with you more!

I think about it all the time.   :'(

We are so on the same page!!
Diane

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2006, 10:23:50 pm »
ekeby (love your handle, by the way), I couldn't agree with you more, myself.  What I'd like to see is gas going up to about $6 a gallon.  That would be enough, I figure, to force a revolution. 

What I'd also like to see is Jake G. at my doorstep with a dozen white roses enmeshed in lavendar lilacs wanting to whisk me away in a chariot drawn by unicorns, and that ain't happening, either.

Agree  . . . $10 a gallon even better!  We'd have a progressive government so fast it would make Bush's head spin like he was in The Exorcist.  LOL re Jake and white roses . . . he should stop by my place too . . . .

"ekeby" . . . everybody always thinks it's "eek by" but it's actually "ek bee", taken from a province in Sweden. Given my situation, eek by is appropriate too . . .
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.