Author Topic: Tell ya what...we're doing a Brokie Brunch in NYC  (Read 89760 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Tell ya what...we're doing a Brokie Brunch in NYC
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 05:24:08 pm »
Thanks, Courtney!

So, Jack f *ckin' Twist thinks he has it all figured out--

(No, honestly just thought I'd start this roundup with a couple of suggestions. If you think this is waaaay too kitschy, PLEASE just lasso and hogtie me!)

Click for listing/review by New York Magazine (have only been to Mesa Grill, myself, but Cowgirl sure looks cute!

Cowgirl
519 Hudson St.
"Saddle up for country kitsch and chuck wagon cuisine served in Texas-sized portions, partner!" http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/cowgirl/index.html

Mesa Grill
102 Fifth Ave.
"Bobby Flay's mastery of the spicier things in life keeps getting more polished and exciting." http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/mesa-grill/index.html

Agave
140 Seventh Ave. South
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/agave/index.html

Or would everybody prefer to go to that place in Dubois?

;D

later edit: had to delete Bar-K as they don't do Brunch, so:

Blue Smoke
116 E. 27th St.
"Forget what the 'cue quibblers say. Blue Smoke is an ingenious Manhattan barbecue joint." http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/blue-smoke/index.html

I'm includin' this one just cause of the name (it doesn't sound highly recommended!):

Earl's
560 Third Ave.
"If you like Dukes, you'll like Earls."
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/earls/index.html

And this one looks waay too small, and it's in Brooklyn (not that there's anything wrong with that) but look at the name, and DO click through and look at the sign--real cute!

Jake's Bar-B-Que Restaurant
189 Columbia St.
"Kansas City makes its move on the Red Hook waterfront."
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/jakes-bar-b-que-restaurant/index.html

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 07:12:10 pm by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 06:46:53 pm »
Count me in.  I would love, love to meet you guys.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 07:14:51 pm by deedee »
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 07:01:34 pm »
Count me in guys! ;D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 12:17:07 am »
Yeehaw, I finally got back to check this thread, and the Brokie Brunch (Bronch?) is happenin'!

John, you are the best for looking up all those restaurants.  They all sound great.  I've actually been to the Cowgirl place, and I'd thought that would be a good place to go.  There's even a little shop across the street that specializes in Western gear--cowboy hats, boots, trinkets, even cowboy underwear!  ;D

Another place I've been to with fellow Brokies is the Rodeo Bar & Grill:  www.rodeobar.com/.  It was roomy, and they let us sit for hours gabbing.  They even have an appetizer of shrimp/bacon/jalapeno called Cowboy Kisses.  :-*

Yay, Clarissa!  I wasn't surprised to see you signing up--knew you couldn't resist a get-together like this.  That will be so great if you can come!

Juan, we would love to have you along.  Brokies are Brokies, whether of Tremblayan lineage or another.  I will be bringing a Brit Brokie who's vacationing in NY and staying with me that week.  She'll be thrilled to meet everyone.

So far I've got nine:  John (with new haircut and clean shirt), Clarissa, Jenny, Amy, Deedee, Phila. Jeff, Juan, and me and my friend.  I can think of more who are in the area and might travel in:  Surf, Hoboken Jeff, henrypie, Paul and David.  Check in,  you guys!

littleguitar, not to worry, we live here, so when you ride into town, just let us know and we'll meet up.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 12:54:25 am »
yay!! our little gathering is taking shape! That cowgirl place sounds perfect, with an after meal stopover at the Western gear store where we'll all pick up our rodeo belt buckles for ceremonial strumming and flicking purposes!

Would LOVE to have you fly out Clarissa! And surely some in the connecticut, jersey, and philly areas can make the drive up? I could offer my air mattress to one person for the night, though I warn you, I live in a studio in brooklyn, so it's not all that spacious! But it's available for the night if anyone needs a place to crash either before or after the gathering.

And don't forget to check out the DVD release party we are trying to plan for Easter weekend in Chicago.

What a sociable bunch we are, huh? No real surprises there I guess!

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 03:08:45 am »
Iiiii wannaaaaa commmme!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 03:17:43 am »
Iiiii wannaaaaa commmme!

You and me both, Ray.  :'(

Guess we'll have to be content with our Jarhead and wine party, hunh?
Chut up!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 03:56:12 am »
I wanna come to all of it.  I want to go to the Cowgirl place (Jeez, New York really does have everything.)  I want to sit on Ray's balcony and draw pictures!  I want to do the Hokey Pokey in front of the Pierre Hotel and have a candlelight vigil for Hal the Coyote.  I want to stroll down Paseo de Whatchacallit in Santa Fe (another place I love) with Jimmy looking for live coyotes.  I want to come to Rochester and see the BetterMost World Headquarters!  And I want you all to come here.

And Juan, you may know, we rafted over here en masse as refugees from the IMDb troll wars, and are a tight, loving group, but we're are also open friendly people.  Y'all come on.  Shit, am I really going to New York??

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 03:57:41 am »
Gasp!  I said "shit" and it didn't get bleeped out.   :o

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 04:02:30 am »
LOL. Can I come with you on your Brokie tour around the world Elle? (Don't forget to schedule a stop in Chicago. Chicago Tremblayans are really quite lovely.)  ;)