Author Topic: Tell ya what...we're doing a Brokie Brunch in NYC  (Read 88667 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Tell ya what...we're doing a Brokie Brunch in NYC
« Reply #280 on: May 09, 2006, 11:41:52 am »
Thanks for the enlightenment Jeff! Very interesting. I was getting ready for something to do with tying up or making some kind of primitive loincloth with them! What if it's a rainbow one? I thought I saw that there.

And, biggest question of the night, what does it mean if you put your leather gloves in your back left pocket all the time like Ennis did???? Except that one time they were in the right pocket, as I recall from a certain quiz question on the BBM quiz game at old PT.

Any chance that left pocket might have been an accurately chosen side for Ennis being the active role? Or is that too much of an assumption (especially since that code was probably not in use in Wyoming back then!)

Jenny

I think a "rainbow" is just pretty. If there was a black-and-white checked one, that's for "safer sex." I'll check my sources at home tonight about the gloves.  ;D

Ennis wouldn't have known--but maybe somebody in the Wardrobe Dept. did!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #281 on: May 09, 2006, 02:26:46 pm »
I've never been a gay man, but I do remember the gay man hankie thing that was very popular in the 80s.  Hence the haiku I wrote way back when about Ennis's gloves in his back pocket.  I wondered why I never got any feedback on it, it never occurred to me most people just might not have known what the hell I was talking about.  I'm going to go see if I can find it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #282 on: May 09, 2006, 06:06:58 pm »
The hankie thing is still very popular in the leather scene.

Jenny, according to my sources, there is a significance to gloves worn in the back pocket, but you don't want to know what it is, and I'm sure Ennis and Jack didn't do it!  :o

On the other hand, here's one that would be appropriate. I'm not sure I'd recognize a "rust" hankie if I saw one, but according to my sources "rust" on the left is "cowboy," and "rust" on the right is "his horse!"  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Two_mules

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #283 on: May 09, 2006, 08:31:47 pm »
From memory, I thought Ennis usually had his gloves in his right pocket. A research project... :D  Guess I'll just have to force myself to watch the film again.

*goes off to google search significance of red hankies*

Hmmm, yes that's a kink I can't see the appeal of. There was a book on it in Leather Man called "Trust". Meryl, it's a really good thing you didn't get red bandanas...

[edit] ...although we could have claimed it was in support of Gays in Egypt: http://www.sodomylaws.org/world/egypt/egnews182.htm[/edit]

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 08:38:55 pm by Two_mules »
Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has loved you all your life, whom you ignored for another, who knows you by heart.
~ Derek Walcott, Love After Love

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #284 on: May 09, 2006, 08:41:15 pm »
Yay!   I finally got to hear the Audio from the BBM Brunch!!

I listened to it up at my Moms tonight before dinner.   I pulled up the group photo so she could see everyone while the audio was playing.   I pointed out each person as they spoke.   Mom was as impressed as much as I was!!!   

Great work Anke!       I felt like I was there again!    :-* 

Offline Two_mules

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #285 on: May 09, 2006, 09:05:07 pm »
Way too complicated of a system!   LOL.     

I mean, I never see those hankies in use.   Did guys carry charts to make sure they didn't misinterpet a color code? 

Complicated is not the word, one site has 78 different codes including white lace and gold lame. :o

And god forbid if you were colour blind!   LOL  

Or just had a cold...  ;D

Yay!   I finally got to hear the Audio from the BBM Brunch!!

I listened to it up at my Moms tonight before dinner.   I pulled up the group photo so she could see everyone while the audio was playing.   I pointed out each person as they spoke.   Mom was as impressed as much as I was!!!  

Great work Anke!       I felt like I was there again!    :-* 

It is great isn't it? But do I really sound like that? I have to listen to my voice all the time on answerphone messages, and the audiotape still took me by surprise.  :o ::) ;D
Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has loved you all your life, whom you ignored for another, who knows you by heart.
~ Derek Walcott, Love After Love

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #286 on: May 09, 2006, 09:13:35 pm »
Hey Sarah! What is that white picket fence-looking thing in your avatar from the first (and only) bar scene between Jack and Ennis??
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #287 on: May 09, 2006, 10:38:33 pm »
Or just had a cold...  ;D

Someone once noticed a white handkerchief in my left pocket behind my gray bandanna. He asked me what the white handkerchief meant. I told him it meant I had sinus trouble.  ::)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #288 on: May 09, 2006, 11:37:21 pm »
Jeff, you are certainly a fount of interesting knowledge!  I think someone needs to produce a gay version of Jeopardy! and make the gay hanky code a regular category.   ;D

I had to look up the red hanky code, too, of course.  Owie!   :P

Yes, Ennis usually wears his gloves in his back right pocket, but that doesn't quite jive with his perceived role in his relationship with Jack, seeing that the right side indicates the partner on the receiving end of things.  Ah well, not every symbolic meaning can be applied to this movie.  ;)

David, I'm glad you finally got to hear the audio.  I played it for a couple of friends last night, and they thought it was great and wanted to look at the pictures.  I think they finally started thinking of my obsession as being less of a jokey thing and more of a really good thing.  8)

Speaking of really good things, Jenny and I are meeting John Gallagher tomorrow!  I can't wait to meet him and chew the fat about the Broncho.  Yeehaw!  :D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #289 on: May 09, 2006, 11:54:14 pm »
Jeff, you are certainly a fount of interesting knowledge!  I think someone needs to produce a gay version of Jeopardy! and make the gay hanky code a regular category.   ;D

I had to look up the red hanky code, too, of course.  Owie!   :P

Yes, Ennis usually wears his gloves in his back right pocket, but that doesn't quite jive with his perceived role in his relationship with Jack, seeing that the right side indicates the partner on the receiving end of things.  Ah well, not every symbolic meaning can be applied to this movie.  ;)

David, I'm glad you finally got to hear the audio.  I played it for a couple of friends last night, and they thought it was great and wanted to look at the pictures.  I think they finally started thinking of my obsession as being less of a jokey thing and more of a really good thing.  8)

Speaking of really good things, Jenny and I are meeting John Gallagher tomorrow!  I can't wait to meet him and chew the fat about the Broncho.  Yeehaw!  :D

Yes, and bring pictures! For him and if you have any extras, for me! I will gladly cover reprintings costs and then some. I know it can be a real pain to do that.

See you tomorrow!!!

Jenny :D
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."