Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain short story in Oct 13, 1997 "New Yorker" - Images  (Read 8341 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
I found “Brokeback Mountain” short story in my "The Complete New Yorker" DVDs.  Thought you may want to look at the images of the short story in the original publication. (Click to enlarge)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Brokeback Mountain short story in Oct 13, 1997 "New Yorker" - Images
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:37:31 pm »
Jenny, thank you so much for those images!  It's wonderful to see the story in context like that.  I already can predict a thread or two starting up discussing the poem, cartoons and drawings interspersed with the text of the story.  Everything has meaning to a Brokie.

I love the cover of the magazine, too.  It's definitely in the spirit of our "Performance" thread!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 12:47:32 am »
Jenny-I second those thanks! Gonna print it out on fancy paper and add it to the reliquary.

Roux
 O0

Heathen

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 01:02:34 am »
Jenny-I second those thanks! Gonna print it out on fancy paper and add it to the reliquary.

Roux
 O0

Note to Meryl:  Just don't let JBB get his greasy little hands all over the nice fancy paper in the Sacred Relics Room.   ;)
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 01:17:34 am »

Roux
 O0

Awww... Ruby, we have to have something nicer for you if it's going to the reliquary.  PM me your e-mail account that can accept files around 10MB.  I think gmail account should work.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 01:26:50 am »
Will do!

;D ;D ;D ;D
 O0

Heathen

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 10:16:11 am »
Awww... Ruby, we have to have something nicer for you if it's going to the reliquary.  PM me your e-mail account that can accept files around 10MB.  I think gmail account should work.

Jenny, in hopes you'll do the same for me, I'm PMing you my e-mail, too.  :D  8)

Alec, I'm heading to the SRR now to put the good paper out of JBB's reach.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 11:11:15 am »
Jenny, in hopes you'll do the same for me, I'm PMing you my e-mail, too.  :D  8)

Of course, Meryl.  I will be glad to, please send your e-mail address.  :) 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 12:34:52 pm by JennyC »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 11:42:05 am »
That's nice of U to email this to people who want it (I have done that too) but I think posting the story is going too far--it's a copyrighted story and Annie Proulx deserves the royalties for the sale of the book. Just MHO.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 12:34:20 pm »
Lee,

Thanks for the kindly reminder.  Really, I appreciate it and am not offended one bit.  I was wondering if I may violate the copyright too. 

I believe almost everyone here owns a copy of the short story one form or another.  I just thought it’s nice to see the short story in the original publication.  I guess you probably can find the Oct. 13, 1997 New Yorker on ebay if you want a copy of that, but that will not benefit Anne one penny. 

Put that aside, I am sincerely interested to know when we might violate copyright with us posting pictures from the movie or from the magazine (in this case), using the pictures from the movie as avatar, or modifying them.  I am definitely not going to put the printable file anywhere here.  Do you think the images of the magazine is also too much?  Will smaller size of the images easy that concern?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 12:50:03 pm »
The only thing I object to is the people on IMDB who posts messages like, "I can't find the story on the Internet. Please someone tell me where I can download it." A lot of young people think they're entitled to have anything that anybody has said, written, performed, or sang for free. As a writer myself, I have to call a timeout on that idea. Okay, I'll get down from my soapbox now. But Jenny, I have sent the New Yorker story in pdf form to fellow Brokies so I have no problems with your post. And of course it's available at libraries. I certainly would not want to discourage anyone from reading it!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 03:55:35 pm »
I guess you probably can find the Oct. 13, 1997 New Yorker on ebay if you want a copy of that, but that will not benefit Anne one penny. 

I haven't seen that issue listed for sale on eBay lately--I also, I admit, haven't searched for it lately--but just after the film opened, copies of it went for HUGE amounts of money--over $100, if I'm remembering correctly.

Just FYI. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 03:15:54 am »
 :)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 05:39:58 pm »
Wow, thanks, that made my heart jump to see those pages.

That also answers the question as to how she started the story in that version. I understand the "Ennis Del Mar wakes before 5" part was edited by the New Yorker, but was part of the story as she wrote it.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."