Author Topic: Jake Gyllenhaal ’98 speaks on Brokeback Mountain at Cinema Sundays  (Read 1652 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.

Jake Gyllenhaal ’98 speaks on Brokeback Mountain at Cinema Sundays

Natasha Speiss - May 17, 2021

Actor and producer Jake Gyllenhaal ’98 shared his experience working on the film “Brokeback Mountain” during the final installment of the year’s Cinema Sundays program May 16. Questions for Gyllenhaal were posed and moderated by Visual Arts, ISIR and Performing Arts Teacher Ted Walch.

“Brokeback Mountain” is a romantic drama directed by Ang Lee, adapted from a short story written by Annie Proulx, about the relationship between American cowboys Ennis Del Mar and Jake Twist (Gyllenhaal) over 20 years. It grossed $178 million worldwide with a $14 million budget and is often credited as helping to advance queer cinema. Gyllenhaal was nominated for an Academy Award in the “Best Supporting Actor” category for his performance in the film in 2006.

The one-hour event was open to all school parents, alums, parents of alums, community members and current students. Over 130 people attended the discussion.

Guests were able to RSVP for the event

Gyllenhaal said that filming “Brokeback Mountain” was a very intimate experience and he was surprised by the amount of support the film received after its initial release in 2005.

“Everything that happened after we finished filming this small movie has been really hard to process, frankly, and really extraordinary,” Gyllenhaal said. “It always blows my mind thinking about us, me making coffee for everyone in the morning before we began shooting and then being at the Academy Awards and someone coming up to me saying, ‘You know, I came out to my parents and I never thought I could until I saw this film.’”

Gyllenhaal said he didn’t consider the possible risks to his career in taking the role of Twist largely due to how he grew up in an inclusive environment.

“I was raised, taught and shown the world by people of all different sexualities,” Gyllenhaal said. “I never saw [Brokeback Mountain] as ‘that gay cowboy movie,’ I always just saw it as a love story.”

https://hwchronicle.com/101604/news/jake-gyllenhaal-98-speaks-on-brokeback-mountain-at-cinema-sundays/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Gyllenhaal said that filming “Brokeback Mountain” was a very intimate experience and he was surprised by the amount of support the film received after its initial release in 2005.

“Everything that happened after we finished filming this small movie has been really hard to process, frankly, and really extraordinary,” Gyllenhaal said. “It always blows my mind thinking about us, me making coffee for everyone in the morning before we began shooting and then being at the Academy Awards and someone coming up to me saying, ‘You know, I came out to my parents and I never thought I could until I saw this film.’”

https://hwchronicle.com/101604/news/jake-gyllenhaal-98-speaks-on-brokeback-mountain-at-cinema-sundays/
He really said it all! Thanks for sharing this!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
You're welcome, Lee!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!