Author Topic: Former milena-covic needs your advice...  (Read 5114 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Former milena-covic needs your advice...
« on: April 01, 2006, 03:55:12 pm »
Hi everyone, I have left my anonymity (milena-covic), since I feel I can simply be myself here, hence my real identity: isabelle. I have only just started cruising here, but this looks fab!

Right, I have advice to ask those of you who might know a bit about laws/lawyers and publishers. After reading Brokeback Mountain-the short story in English, I came across it by accident in its French translation (my native tongue). I was appalled at both the mistakes in translation that revealed at points poor knowledge of the English language, but also poor knowledge of the French language, at least the style of language that rough-mannered and rough-spoken (described as such in the story) men like Ennis and Jack would use!
So I was bold enough to send the French publisher a letter telling them (nicely) that their translation sucks, and sent a copy to Annie's agent. This morning I received a reply from the French publisher, telling me it is really another (French) publisher's fault (they bought the copyright of the translated version from them), BUT they would be interested if I was willing to give them the details of my remarks, so they could pass them on to the original publisher. I am usually quite naive even at my age, but I have a feeling I had better start talking business with them and see a lawyer maybe, before I send them any alternative/corrected translation. I'd like to know I'm getting paid for my work if they finally use it. And just IMAGINE, if my name becomes associated with Brokeback Mountain, wow!
What do you think? Thanks for your advice!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Former milena-covic needs your advice...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 04:07:24 pm »
Isabelle, I'm a naif myself--my first thought was that you might, as a follow up, send a copy of the French publisher's reply to you to Annie's agent (with a translation into English).

Just from reading the succession of boards we've all traveled through, I've learned that Annie's son-in-law runs her website--maybe you should send something to him in hopes that it will get passed along--

When you reply to/communicate with any of the above, perhaps you might give a few examples of what you mean, and how you think the meaning and flavor, the voice of the original might be best preserved.

Good for you and good luck!

Any publishing law people in the hall who might offer better advice to Isabelle?
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 04:18:29 pm »
is the publisher in France? we may be dealing with French laws here, so it might be different.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 04:27:30 pm »
Bonjour Isabelle -

I can't begin to advise you in any way on this, but suggest you check with an attorney.  Don't send them your text or corrections until you're certain they won't use it however they want, unless you're happy just helping them with nothing in return.

It's great to see you here with us.  You already know I think you, as someone fluent in both languages and with a  deep love for the words and meaning of BBM, should re-do the book!

Best wishes - please keep us/me posted.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 06:24:32 pm »
I agree with all the below. The language of BBM is special, and requires a special gift for translation. Great works deserve the best translation, and Proust was recently re-done into better English than the classic Scott-Moncrieff. (starting with the title: I've always thought "Remembrance of Things Past" didn't cover either the meaning or the flow of "A la Recherche du Temps Perdu" [In search of lost time])

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 07:15:29 am »
I am leaving this to people who have an informed opinion. My knowledge of copy right is foggy at the best of times, let alone a rewrite of a rewrite of a translation of a script of a short story. However I am posting to let you know that I care.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 09:20:43 am »
Bonjour Isabelle -

I can't begin to advise you in any way on this, but suggest you check with an attorney.  Don't send them your text or corrections until you're certain they won't use it however they want, unless you're happy just helping them with nothing in return.

It's great to see you here with us.  You already know I think you, as someone fluent in both languages and with a  deep love for the words and meaning of BBM, should re-do the book!

Best wishes - please keep us/me posted.

Hi Celeste,
Thank you for this post, you are very kind!
I wish to inform everyone that you were instrumental in helping me make sure I understood the original version right. So what would you like if I become rich?? A percentage? Just your name mentioned? I would be glad just to have my name mentioned as supporting translator, really.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 12:51:53 pm »
However I am posting to let you know that I care.

That is lovely, Ray. Just like you!
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 01:03:07 pm »

Hi Celeste,
Thank you for this post, you are very kind!
I wish to inform everyone that you were instrumental in helping me make sure I understood the original version right. So what would you like if I become rich?? A percentage? Just your name mentioned? I would be glad just to have my name mentioned as supporting translator, really.

Ahhhh, Isabelle - I've so enjoyed our conversations and getting to know you, that I'd have to say only that I hope it would continue.   I was trying to think of something funny to say, but that's the actual truth.  You seem someone with a great concern for truth and integrity, like Ms. Proulx herself, and I'd love for you to do justice to this story that has changed each of us and turned us into a community.  How 'bout an autographed/inscrobed copy when you're done?

:angel:
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 03:57:36 pm »

Ahhhh, Isabelle - I've so enjoyed our conversations and getting to know you, that I'd have to say only that I hope it would continue.   I was trying to think of something funny to say, but that's the actual truth.  You seem someone with a great concern for truth and integrity, like Ms. Proulx herself, and I'd love for you to do justice to this story that has changed each of us and turned us into a community.  How 'bout an autographed/inscrobed copy when you're done?

:angel:
[/quote]

Wow, an inscribed copy... Stop, I can already imagine myself in the limelight!!
But OK, nay bother, I'll do just that! ;)
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 01:08:05 pm »
Thank you all very much for your answers, I think I'll seek council with an attorney (almost finished typing 'my' version!).
" - I'm vegan now."