Author Topic: Brokeback.....the stage show....  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Brokeback.....the stage show....
« on: July 23, 2006, 07:18:02 pm »
I have just watched a video which is new on you tube, from the Gay Games, of two male ice skaters doing a figure skating to the tune of Brokeback Mountain.....

The skating and the choreography is not the greatest, but the idea is great, and the response from the audience was terrific. There was no need for explanation, they all knew what it was about.

Got me to thinking of the future possibilities of follow ons from this movie, which i'm sure would receive the gratitude and great entertainment to people like us.

Firstly, after watching the skating..."Brokeback...On Ice", comes to mind, but then, there could also be "Brokeback...The Stage Show", "Brokeback....The Musical".....and one not to be missed would be "Brokeback....The TV Series".....

All of these would and could be possible....Wouldnt you all watch shows like this...
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Brokeback.....the stage show....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 07:28:55 pm »
Hi, Katie,

Were they just skating to music from the film, or was the routine attempting to portray some theme from the movie? Or, put another way, did it appear that the skaters were "supposed to be" Ennis and Jack?

This reminds of the thread that I think was back at IMDb, about the possibilities of conveying Brokeback in other art froms, the musical being one of them, but also opera and ballet. For myself I saw great possibilities for ballet, but then I'm a ballet fan, and there are the precedents of other Western-themed ballets, such as Rodeo and Billy the Kid.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 07:45:48 pm »
Brokeback the TV series?

I'd hope it was based on some of the Alternate ending/ Alternate reality fanfics we've seen.   I don't think I could handle seeing Jack live and die again spread out over 26 weeks or whatever a TV season consists of nowadays.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 08:29:31 pm »
Hi Katie, could you post the url so we can see it too?

Found it! 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 08:44:24 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 09:35:47 pm »
Well, if you followed the link that Ellemeno has put up, you will have seen for yourself...

they were dressed as Ennis and Jack, and the music of Wings was BBM, but as I said before the skating and the choreography wasnt "in depth" or anything....but good on the guys for getting out there and doing it, as I said from the audience reaction, it was very much enjoyed.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 10:56:52 pm »
Katie77 -- MANY thanks for posting this... and many thanks also to Clarissa for the link...

the audience's enthusiasm is definitely contagious!!
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 12:44:09 am »
I LOVE IT!  :D

I wish I had been there live in person to see that!

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 01:01:50 am »
I LOVE IT!  :D

I wish I had been there live in person to see that!
I just dragged Tim upstairs to watch it (he now lives here fulltime - one reason I haven't been posting so much) without having watched it right through myself. We both cried. The DVD comes out here tomorrow!

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 11:30:39 am »
A while ago I read in a newspaper that a theater group here in Holland acquired the rights to make a play out of the story, this is supposed to be in theaters in November 2006.  :o

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 05:12:49 pm »
I see quite a lot of the movie in it: Ennis lolling, Jack on a bronco, they meet, interact, love, separate and finally, Jack dies and Ennis holds the shirts. You couldn't do much more in the time available. I think it's brilliant. Tim wants to know where you can get the music (I thought it was disco but he says it's a house version). Does anyone know? Someone said Wings...?

Does anyone know what happens off to the left when we can't see them and they lose the hats? It got a round of applause.

I hope a better video of that performance becomes available.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 05:18:56 pm by Shuggy »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 06:28:28 pm »
Clarissa, from the bottom of my technologically challenged, heart, thank you for posting the link!  ;D

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 07:45:20 pm »
I see quite a lot of the movie in it: Ennis lolling, Jack on a bronco, they meet, interact, love, separate and finally, Jack dies and Ennis holds the shirts. You couldn't do much more in the time available. I think it's brilliant. Tim wants to know where you can get the music (I thought it was disco but he says it's a house version). Does anyone know? Someone said Wings...?

Does anyone know what happens off to the left when we can't see them and they lose the hats? It got a round of applause.

I hope a better video of that performance becomes available.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F1HF48/sr=8-1/qid=1153784700/ref=sr_1_1/104-5470318-5270302?ie=UTF8
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 05:13:25 am »
must watch this when i get home!!

Talking of the gay games... how did Juan get on!?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/