Author Topic: Story line you wish made it into the film...  (Read 10036 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Story line you wish made it into the film...
« on: July 23, 2006, 07:55:43 pm »
How do you all feel about the lines in the poll being left out of the film?  Would they have enhanced the film or would they have felt out of place in the film.  Are there other Proulx lines that you would have loved to hear in the film?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Story line you wish made it into the film...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 08:28:30 pm »
Actually that was a difficult choice. I also would have liked to hear little darlin' and I shouldna let you outa my sight.
cc33

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 09:43:54 pm »
"this aint no little thing happening here".......

very prophetic.......for them and us....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 10:49:37 pm »
I picked 'That's one a the two things I need right now' because I think it could have been used to show more affection/intimacy between Jack and Ennis in their later years together.

It's hard though.  I also liked how in the short story, Ennis places his hand on Jack's thigh...again, the point for me being intimacy in their later years.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 11:33:07 pm »
Well I picked one but in reality I would like to have seen all these lines left in.  They all, in their place and context convey the love between Ennis and Jack and would put an end to all those jokers who claim this relationship is lust and sex driven only.   Because that just isn't so.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 09:57:51 am »
I've secretly wished for a long time "little darlin" was left in.  Just barely audible, so that you'd wonder if you hadn't read the short story if he really said it.  I know it's not necessary - it just woulda made me feel good.  Almost as good as that kiss made me feel.  ;)
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 11:39:57 am »
How do you all feel about the lines in the poll being left out of the film?  Would they have enhanced the film or would they have felt out of place in the film.  Are there other Proulx lines that you would have loved to hear in the film?

A lot of them in my opinion would have been out of place, since the short story-Ennis is not completely like the movie-Ennis.

Little darlin' worked very well in the short story, because it was explained why he called Jack that, but it would have sounded silly in the movie I think, because there is no explanation.

I liked 'That's one a the two things I need right now' because it showed Jack's humor

:D

Offline David

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 11:43:44 am »
I picked the "I shouldn't have let you out of my sights..."  line.

To me this lets Jack (and us) know that Ennis had been thinking of Jack all these years too, and that he regretted getting married perhaps.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 01:34:49 pm »
A lot of them in my opinion would have been out of place, since the short story-Ennis is not completely like the movie-Ennis.

Little darlin' worked very well in the short story, because it was explained why he called Jack that, but it would have sounded silly in the movie I think, because there is no explanation.

I liked 'That's one a the two things I need right now' because it showed Jack's humor

What if he'd just said "Darlin'," and barely audibly at that?  I guess I just hunger for one or two more signs (and subtle is fine and fitting) of Ennis' love and affection for Jack that Jack would actually get to see and hear (remember, he wasn't looking at Ennis when he gave him that little smile after he chastised him for playing the harmonica while they were riding).  We all know how he felt all along, but Jack didn't get to know until the last time they saw each other, and by then the die was cast.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 07:39:11 pm »
I picked the "I shouldn't have let you out of my sights..."  line.

To me this lets Jack (and us) know that Ennis had been thinking of Jack all these years too, and that he regretted getting married perhaps.

Me too.  This would give more impetus to Ennis' bursts of anger and the reason he spends a lot of time away from his family with his ranch work.