Author Topic: Story line you wish made it into the film...  (Read 9991 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Story line you wish made it into the film...
« on: July 23, 2006, 07:55:43 pm »
How do you all feel about the lines in the poll being left out of the film?  Would they have enhanced the film or would they have felt out of place in the film.  Are there other Proulx lines that you would have loved to hear in the film?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Story line you wish made it into the film...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 08:28:30 pm »
Actually that was a difficult choice. I also would have liked to hear little darlin' and I shouldna let you outa my sight.
cc33

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 09:43:54 pm »
"this aint no little thing happening here".......

very prophetic.......for them and us....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 10:49:37 pm »
I picked 'That's one a the two things I need right now' because I think it could have been used to show more affection/intimacy between Jack and Ennis in their later years together.

It's hard though.  I also liked how in the short story, Ennis places his hand on Jack's thigh...again, the point for me being intimacy in their later years.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 11:33:07 pm »
Well I picked one but in reality I would like to have seen all these lines left in.  They all, in their place and context convey the love between Ennis and Jack and would put an end to all those jokers who claim this relationship is lust and sex driven only.   Because that just isn't so.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 09:57:51 am »
I've secretly wished for a long time "little darlin" was left in.  Just barely audible, so that you'd wonder if you hadn't read the short story if he really said it.  I know it's not necessary - it just woulda made me feel good.  Almost as good as that kiss made me feel.  ;)
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 11:39:57 am »
How do you all feel about the lines in the poll being left out of the film?  Would they have enhanced the film or would they have felt out of place in the film.  Are there other Proulx lines that you would have loved to hear in the film?

A lot of them in my opinion would have been out of place, since the short story-Ennis is not completely like the movie-Ennis.

Little darlin' worked very well in the short story, because it was explained why he called Jack that, but it would have sounded silly in the movie I think, because there is no explanation.

I liked 'That's one a the two things I need right now' because it showed Jack's humor

:D

Offline David

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 11:43:44 am »
I picked the "I shouldn't have let you out of my sights..."  line.

To me this lets Jack (and us) know that Ennis had been thinking of Jack all these years too, and that he regretted getting married perhaps.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 01:34:49 pm »
A lot of them in my opinion would have been out of place, since the short story-Ennis is not completely like the movie-Ennis.

Little darlin' worked very well in the short story, because it was explained why he called Jack that, but it would have sounded silly in the movie I think, because there is no explanation.

I liked 'That's one a the two things I need right now' because it showed Jack's humor

What if he'd just said "Darlin'," and barely audibly at that?  I guess I just hunger for one or two more signs (and subtle is fine and fitting) of Ennis' love and affection for Jack that Jack would actually get to see and hear (remember, he wasn't looking at Ennis when he gave him that little smile after he chastised him for playing the harmonica while they were riding).  We all know how he felt all along, but Jack didn't get to know until the last time they saw each other, and by then the die was cast.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 07:39:11 pm »

To me this lets Jack (and us) know that Ennis had been thinking of Jack all these years too, and that he regretted getting married perhaps.

Me too.  This would give more impetus to Ennis' bursts of anger and the reason he spends a lot of time away from his family with his ranch work.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 07:48:02 pm »
I picked "That's one of two things" because, as others have pointed out, it would have opened an opportunity to show intimacy in their later years.  :-*

Like mvansand, I think that most of those Story Ennis lines would have sounded odd coming from Movie Ennis.

"I sure wrang it out" would have been fun, though (if also a bit out of character for Movie Ennis). But as I've said before, I think this line is already illustrated in the postcard scene, anyway.

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 11:38:58 am »
I've secretly wished for a long time "little darlin" was left in.  Just barely audible, so that you'd wonder if you hadn't read the short story if he really said it.  I know it's not necessary - it just woulda made me feel good.  Almost as good as that kiss made me feel.  ;)

I agree.  I love this line in the short story.  I guess I understand why it isn't in there - it just wouldn't have fit Ennis's character but still ... I can't tell ya' how much I'd love to hear Ennis say that in the reunion scene.  Even if it was barely audible!!  I'd take anything *lol*  I think that line puts it all out there for Jack that Ennis loves him as much as we (readers/audience) know he does.  So sweet.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 10:28:24 am »

Totally agreed.  I picked that one too.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 11:00:50 am »
How about "Guns goin off"
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 01:54:54 pm »
How about "Guns goin off"

;D ;D ;D ;D I thought the same thing ... shame on me!  :laugh:
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 01:51:39 am »
Amanda, you task mistress, you made us pick just one!  I picked, "Shouldn'ta let you out a my sights," because it's some of that communicatin' that story-Ennis did that film-Ennis didn't.  And for the reasons others said.  But I would have picked them all, iffen I could.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 06:13:46 am »
A little bump. I picked Litte darlin' ... I love that bit in the book.

But do you know I have a tshirt that says... This ain't no little thing that's happenin here .. made by lovely jenny.

And I had never quite cottened on it wasn't in the fim.. obviously I read the short story too much as well and they had merged!

I must watch the movie soon though - perhaps I'll suggest to Callum to watch it tonight... as a valentines treat for me! As I've only watched it once fully since I got the DVD (and only saw it twice at the cinema - would have been more if I could have afforded the £7 ticket each time)

...........Should I own up to that?!

You know I love Brokeback with all my heart though... certainly the soundtrack is imprinted on my brain!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:18:05 am by kelda_shelton »
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 11:01:32 am »

But do you know I have a tshirt that says... This ain't no little thing that's happenin here .. made by lovely jenny.

And I had never quite cottened on it wasn't in the fim.. obviously I read the short story too much as well and they had merged!

I must watch the movie soon though - perhaps I'll suggest to Callum to watch it tonight... as a valentines treat for me! As I've only watched it once fully since I got the DVD (and only saw it twice at the cinema - would have been more if I could have afforded the £7 ticket each time)

You know I love Brokeback with all my heart though... certainly the soundtrack is imprinted on my brain!

God, I need to watch it soon too. Haven't watched the whole movie in months now!

Good idea for Valentines, my boyfriend is not gonna fall for that one though... hee hee hee...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 11:12:29 am »

Yes, Kelda there is no shame in being a BBM semi-virgin...I wish I was one myself sometimes. And especially since you have read the story and committed it to heart. That sounds like a wonderful Valentine's activity.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 11:22:57 am by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 11:19:53 am »
Yes, Kelda there is no shame in being a BBM semi-virgin...I wish I was one myself sometimes. And especially since you have read the story and committed it to heart. That sounds like a wonderful Valentine's activity.

I only read the story cos of the movie. I loved it so much. and I played lots of little pieces of it seperately on you tube and the likes and quoted lines and lines of it and read lots on here, also all the photos stills....  it feels like I've seen it much much much more.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 11:27:09 am »
Naturally I wish more of the love scenes had made it into the film. Especially the tent scene with the hail. But I also wish there had been a scene before Alma Jr. announced her upcoming wedding, where Ennis was at a bar and looking at the pool players. And maybe when he got up to go to the bathroom, one of the pool players could come up and say, "Just finished my shift. Wanna go fishin?" LOL!

That could also bookend the scene where Jack is rebuffed by the rodeo clown!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 11:38:42 am »
I just saw Brokeback mountain on stage this weekend in Amsterdam and the way the actor who played Jack delivered the line "That's one a the two things I need right now (dat is een van de twee dingen die ik nu nodig heb)", with so much love and seduction in his voice made me realise again how much I love that sentence in the book and how much I miss it in the movie.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 12:13:03 pm »
I just reread the book, I read it after I saw the film about two times and I didn't much like it, so different from the film.

But now that I know the film so well, I went back and I now truly love the story too.

Anyway I would have surely liked to hear 'this ain't no little think that's happinen here' in the film.

But I really love the last sentence of the story 'There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe......."

I wish that was clearly shown in the film somehow, or turned into a line that was said.  To me the line isn't just about how Jack died, but in fact  about almost everything between them.