Author Topic: Where did you FIRST hear/read about Brokeback Mountain?  (Read 11406 times)

mvansand76

Where did you FIRST hear/read about Brokeback Mountain?
« on: July 24, 2006, 08:29:50 am »
And when...

A. Somewhere in between 1997-2006
B. Which month
C. Day?  ;D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Where did you FIRST hear/read about Brokeback Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 09:55:22 am »
I think I must have first read about the movie in Entertainment Weekly magazine, probably in their Fall or Winter Preview issue for 2005.  Those are always the ones I look forward to the most, because that's the time of year when all the highest-quality films come out over here to be in contention for Academy Awards.  I hadn't read much about it - just the synopsis they provided in their blurb about it.  It interested me at that time mostly because it was an Ang Lee film, and I so loved The Wedding Banquet and Sense and Sensibility that I knew he'd do a wonderful job with the subject matter.  I guess I usually look at the filmmaker first and then the actors.  If I'm interested in all (or most) of their work and the story sounds interesting, I'm in.  I knew of all the actors' work in this one and respected all of it, but I wasn't overly enamored with any of them at the time.  I think now that that was a very good thing - it made me much more free to enjoy the characterizations.  I went into it with little to no expectations except that it definitely wouldn't suck because it was Ang Lee.  That was good, too, because the story just immediately grabbed me and pulled me in.  And it hasn't let me go yet.
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:31:18 am »
Actually, I first heard about it BEFORE October 13, 1997, because I have a subscription to the New Yorker which arrives a few days before the publication date. I read the story the same night and was floored by it. I kept the magazine in my nightstand drawer several years after that, and I still have the original pages from the story.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 11:02:11 am »
Actually, I first heard about it BEFORE October 13, 1997, because I have a subscription to the New Yorker which arrives a few days before the publication date. I read the story the same night and was floored by it. I kept the magazine in my nightstand drawer several years after that, and I still have the original pages from the story.

I envy your foresight, FR. I've had a subscription to The New Yorker since sometime back in the 1980s (yikes!), and my issue used to arrive faithfully on the Wednesday before the cover date. I wish I'd saved the 10/13/1997 issue.

As for the film, however, the first I heard anything about it was an ad in the Weekend section of the Philadelphia Inquirer a week before the film opened here.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 11:35:28 am »

Wow, that must be a record!  ;) That's wonderful!

I first heard about it in 2004, that they were filming a movie called Brokeback Mountain and soon forgot about it until in September 2005 I saw a quote in a newspaper from Jake, I think it was about the kissing scenes or something and then I decided to look it up on imdb.com! Hooked from then on.... :P

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 12:57:35 pm »
I read about the movie being made (and the controversy surrounding it - Robertson or Falwell had something to say about it, I believe) in the fall of 2005.  So my contrary and completely accurate feeling is that if those two have problems with it, it must be worthwhile.  I sought out the short story, read it a zillion times, and harangued movie theatres in my area until I finally got to see it in late January 2006.  It took me awhile to abandon my conspiracy theory about it NEVER coming to my area and accept it was just Focus Features distribution plan. ::)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 01:05:47 pm »
A friend sent me a link to the short story in October, 2005, with a message that was something like "OMG READ THIS!" (except much more coherent). I read it. Then I read it again. Then I read it a third time. Then I went hunting for info about the movie. Then I started the agonizing wait for the movie to show within driving distance of my home, reading responses to various film festival showings and pre-screenings and then the openings in NY and SF and LA and then the major cities and then the suburbs, all the while reading comments about how it would never play in my part of the country. And I forced all my friends to read weekly updates on the box office and the awards nominations and everything. I was a real pain in the neck.

Good thing the movie finally showed here. I think my friends might have killed me if they had had to endure me for a day longer.

So I found out about the story because of the movie, and got obsessed with the movie because of the story.

Don't know what I would have done if I had read the story in 1997. Probably gone insane. (Wait. I think that happened anyway.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 01:08:17 pm »
Don't know what I would have done if I had read the story in 1997. Probably gone insane. (Wait. I think that happened anyway.)

And isn't it terrific?!?!?
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 11:29:18 pm »
I saw/read/overhead a blurb on Heath picking Jake up and slamming him against the wall/nearly breaking his nose story.  And I was 'Oh, yeah, they're making a gay western'.  I'd heard/read/overheard a rumor somewhere about it.

Then I saw a preview for the movie back in - October? - and just went batshit over it and have been turned on ever since.

vkm91941

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 11:34:48 pm »
I read it in the Doctor's office the first week in November 1997 I was so captivated that I asked the receptionist if I could take the copy with me.  She said sure.  It's a little dog eared because I read it repeatedly until Wyoming Stories came out in May of 1999.  But I now have it saved in an acid free, light proof museum quality sleeve and envelope.   ::)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 03:16:12 am »
Melissa -

A friend of mine mailed me (by snail mail) a copy of the New Yorker several weeks after the story appeared in it. I was living in Evansville at the time. I still have this copy stored somewhere in a box up in the attic. I found out about the movie on the Internet. Like you, I began to read about it on various websites and I went to see it the first week it was released at the theatre. I always brought a group of friends with me. I saw it numerous times at the theatre and I do believe I won a few "converts" along the way!  :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 03:22:06 am by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 09:37:57 am »
Then I saw a preview for the movie back in - October? - and just went batshit over it and have been turned on ever since.

Heh heh heh.  A girl after my own heart.   :-*

No more beans!

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 11:29:55 am »
I remember seeing snipets on TV about it, probably in the November - December area.  My friends talked about it a bit too, asked me if I was going to see it.  Stupidly I said I was going to wait.  What was I thinking?  I get so angry at myself for letting the opportunity to see the movie on the big screen pass by me.  Hindsight is 20/20  :)
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 02:28:23 am »
In mid-October 2005 I followed the posting history of one of my favorite IMDb users to the IMDb message board of this movie with a weird-sounding name, "Brokeback Mountain."  I saw that it was hugely hopping, posts coming in every few seconds.  Wow!  So I started reading about it, then I downloaded the short story into my Palm, and read it over and over and over and over and over, all the time, at traffic lights, in the bathroom, falling asleep at night.  The rest you were there for.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 03:35:43 am »
I was a New Yorker subscriber in 1997, but somehow missed the story. But in maybe 2002 or 2003 I was in a book club and one of the members, a close friend, made it that month's assignment. I read it in a weird little pocket-sized book that contained only that one story and nothing else.

I loved it, mostly in a detached, literary way. I thought the concept was ingenious, the plot sad, the prose beautiful. I probably read it twice. I said good things about it in the book-club discussion (as did everyone). And then I pretty much forgot about it.

A year or so later, I read something online about how they were making the movie, and that Jake and Heath had been cast. I thought, well, Jake Gyllenhaal will be good, but ... Heath Ledger? They must be pretty desperate. I guess they're not too serious about making a good movie.

Then I saw Heath in the Lords of Dogtown and realized he was actually a good actor. Then the movie came out, and I read all those stunning reviews ...

I knew I would like to see it, but still, I put it off. I figured, I'd already read the story, so what could there be left to learn? I assumed the movie would be well made, but it sounded like it might be a little ... I don't know, preachy or pedantic or something. I was busy with the holidays and kids and moving and whatnot, so with one thing or another, I didn't get around to seeing it until January.

I've been here (or at imdb) ever since.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 05:51:20 pm by latjoreme »

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 03:57:46 am »
It was in late November or very early December 2005; I receive the New York Times in my Email box every day, and once a week they send a "movies' update". That week, Brokeback Mountain was THE big release of the week, in the "critic's pick" which meant they found it excellent.

I read the review, thought "this is not coming out in France any time soon I bet, and I can't wait" (that was just from reading the NYT's review!), so I ordered the short story, which the review also said was fantastic, from amazon.

The movie in fact did come out here on January 18th. There was no hype, but it was very popular. Now that it is out on dvd, the video rentals have the large size poster outside their doors, and underneath it says: "hurry to rent this film; most beautiful film of the year". Heatwarming :)
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 05:37:42 am »
I first heard/read about BBM at end of February/early March 2006, a few weeks before the movie came out in Germany.
I read about it in a magazine and saw some reviews about it on TV. I thought it could be an interesting movie and then saw something about it in a cultural magazine on TV. It was a short documetary about the reactions towards BBM in the American West. The journalists had travelled cross Wyoming (and maybe some other states) and interwieved people in bars, at gas stations, supermarkets and so on. I was stunned about the vitriolic reactions of so many people. It was the controversy in the US about this movie which made me most curious.
And the fact that all reviews said that it was touching, but not corny at all (a rare combination) finally convinced me to see this movie in theatre.
I checked IMDB for it and found the same canon of reviews there, too. And the same controversy.

After seeing BBM for the first time, I ordered the story to screenplay book. So I read the story after seeing the movie.
And at the very next day after my first viewing I joined the BBM board at IMDB. The rest is history.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 12:24:16 pm »
first heard about it in October, when it won the Venice Golden Lion (can't remember the title of the award), and saw the article on the internet.

Knew at that moment I had to see the movie, but refused to read the short story.  i'm one of those people who will read the book, then see the movie, and think the book was better.  Didn't want to ruin the movie for myself, so I didn't read until after seeing the movie.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 12:27:25 pm »
i'm one of those people who will read the book, then see the movie, and think the book was better.  Didn't want to ruin the movie for myself, so I didn't read until after seeing the movie.

I read the story a couple of years before the movie came out, but I didn't have that problem. I liked the short story yeah, but Jesus H., nothing like the movie. It took me a while after that to warm up to the story.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 12:36:27 pm »
I don't remember where I first heard about it.
I really had mixed feelings. I wanted to see the movie but knew I wouldn't be able to until it came out on DVD or HBO. I saw it for the first time in April of this year.
As I suspected, my life hasn't been the same since.
I don't know that it ever will be.
Wether or not thats a good thing only time will tell.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 10:59:12 pm »
...I don't know that it ever will be.
Wether or not thats a good thing only time will tell.

{{{{{{{Lee}}}}}}}
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 03:58:47 am »
It was tv/paper reviews that it was opening up.. that must hav been December 05. I really fancied it so went to see it early January.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 09:56:29 am »

I'm Australian and I first started hearing rumours in the media, probably around mid-2005, that Heath, a fellow Australian, was making a controversial "gay cowboy" movie somewhere overseas. Heath had been a teenage heart-throb television soap actor up until that time, leaning towards a "pretty-boy" image, with adoring teenage female fans in abundance. I remember thinking at the time that I would go to see the film when it was released for the subject-matter only, and try to ignore Heath in the process. This strategy had worked for me previously, with "Titanic" and Leonardo Di Caprio. I couldn't have been more wrong about Heath, as it turned out.

I'm not proud to confess that I'd never heard of Annie Proulx, nor her short story, prior to seeing the movie. I had also never heard of Jake prior to the movie. I knew of Ang Lee primarily through "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon," which I loved and saw twice at the cinema.

I virtually forgot about the movie until shortly before its commercial release in Australia, in January 2006. There was a gala premier here in Sydney, not open to the public, attended by Heath and Michelle. As they entered the theatre, Heath and Michelle were squirted with water-pistols. I believe this was done by some journalists in protest at Heath, for his having spat at some of their colleagues at some time. This story got a lot of coverage here in Sydney and it acted as a trigger for me to be sure to see the film when it was commercially released.

It opened in Sydney on the Australia Day public holiday, 26 January 2006. I went along to the very first (morning) screening with my ex-partner. The cinema was packed. I identified several people in the audience as being media personalities and celebrities.

George and I both left the theatre in floods of tears that day and I ended up seeing it another 19 times at the cinema before it closed two months later, this being a very long run for a film in Sydney.

It was only a matter of time before I bought "Close Range" and every other book written by Annie Proulx. I have also bought the screenplay, the CD and the DVD, as well as a couple of music spin-offs of "The Wings" theme. I have subsequently read the original short story and screenplay countless times.

And last but by no means least, I have found my spiritual home here at BetterMost. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 11:16:12 am »
I'm Australian and I first started hearing rumours in the media, probably around mid-2005, that Heath, a fellow Australian, was making a controversial "gay cowboy" movie somewhere overseas. Heath had been a teenage heart-throb television soap actor up until that time, leaning towards a "pretty-boy" image, with adoring teenage female fans in abundance. I remember thinking at the time that I would go to see the film when it was released for the subject-matter only, and try to ignore Heath in the process. This strategy had worked for me previously, with "Titanic" and Leonardo Di Caprio. I couldn't have been more wrong about Heath, as it turned out.

I'm not proud to confess that I'd never heard of Annie Proulx, nor her short story, prior to seeing the movie. I had also never heard of Jake prior to the movie. I knew of Ang Lee primarily through "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon," which I loved and saw twice at the cinema.

I virtually forgot about the movie until shortly before its commercial release in Australia, in January 2006. There was a gala premier here in Sydney, not open to the public, attended by Heath and Michelle. As they entered the theatre, Heath and Michelle were squirted with water-pistols. I believe this was done by some journalists in protest at Heath, for his having spat at some of their colleagues at some time. This story got a lot of coverage here in Sydney and it acted as a trigger for me to be sure to see the film when it was commercially released.

It opened in Sydney on the Australia Day public holiday, 26 January 2006. I went along to the very first (morning) screening with my ex-partner. The cinema was packed. I identified several people in the audience as being media personalities and celebrities.

George and I both left the theatre in floods of tears that day and I ended up seeing it another 19 times at the cinema before it closed two months later, this being a very long run for a film in Sydney.

It was only a matter of time before I bought "Close Range" and every other book written by Annie Proulx. I have also bought the screenplay, the CD and the DVD, as well as a couple of music spin-offs of "The Wings" theme. I have subsequently read the original short story and screenplay countless times.

And last but by no means least, I have found my spiritual home here at BetterMost. 

What a journey, Kerry, and at the end of that road lies BetterMost, that's wonderful! I do believe we will always have Jack and Ennis in our hearts!

:-*

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 03:07:59 am »
What a journey, Kerry, and at the end of that road lies BetterMost, that's wonderful! I do believe we will always have Jack and Ennis in our hearts!
 :-*

Always.   :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 08:55:24 am »
How great to revive this thread!

I had heard rumors of the so-called 'gay cowboy movie' like many people, sometime in '05. I remember thinking the title was strange, and feared people would call it "Bareback Mountain".

I have to admit I had no idea who Jake was.  I was aware of Heath Ledger, that he had done that jousting rock music thing, and thought, "oh, no."

Then, a friend with cinema connections went to a sneak preview in November '05.  He raved about it, and told me in no uncertain terms: "do not read the story first."

So, I was a BBM virgin when I saw it on that cold, rainy opening day here in Boston:  December 16, 2005.  I'm glad that I experienced the story fresh, the element of surprise was preserved for me.  I'll never forget when Ennis found the shirts, and, when I saw the bloodstains...the sense of recognition, longing, loss, regret poured over me.

Many, many viewings and buckets of tears later, I'm still here.  Changed for the better because of y'all.

mvansand76

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 11:11:34 am »
How great to revive this thread!

I had heard rumors of the so-called 'gay cowboy movie' like many people, sometime in '05. I remember thinking the title was strange, and feared people would call it "Bareback Mountain".

I have to admit I had no idea who Jake was.  I was aware of Heath Ledger, that he had done that jousting rock music thing, and thought, "oh, no."

Then, a friend with cinema connections went to a sneak preview in November '05.  He raved about it, and told me in no uncertain terms: "do not read the story first."

So, I was a BBM virgin when I saw it on that cold, rainy opening day here in Boston:  December 16, 2005.  I'm glad that I experienced the story fresh, the element of surprise was preserved for me.  I'll never forget when Ennis found the shirts, and, when I saw the bloodstains...the sense of recognition, longing, loss, regret poured over me.

Many, many viewings and buckets of tears later, I'm still here.  Changed for the better because of y'all.

I believe too that Jack and Ennis have changed many people for the better!

Such great advice your friend gave you not to read the story before seeing the film, by the way. So you had no idea about the ending? Oh wow, what an experience...

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 11:50:58 am »

I too saw the movie cold.  I had no idea about the movie, or what it was about.  I just heard it was two gay cowboys. 
         Like you Paul, I had no knowledge of Jake.  Just that he was boyfriend of
Kirsten Dunst..  I liked Heath fine, thought he was cute.  But had no real knowledge about him.  I wanted to see it as soon as it was released, but my grandaughter wanted to see it too.  So I waited until she came home from college, and until after Christmas in order to go with her.  We went on the 5th of January..and as they say, the rest is history.

Beautiful mind

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2007, 01:02:32 am »
I had never seen anything with either of them in it.  The only actor in the whole movie I was familiar with was Randy Quaid!  :laugh:

I read the short story many, many times from mid-October to December 31st, 2005, while waiting for the movie to arrive, and don't regret it a bit.  Just want to add that experience to the mix.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2007, 01:54:32 pm »
After I found out that it was based on a short story, I bought a copy of the anthology it was in and read it before seeing the movie.  In a way, I wish I had not done so.
I liked the other stories as well.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 04:19:16 pm »
About 1999 I read the short story in Annie Proulx's collection of Wyoming stories. I was immediately moved, but I put it aside and pretty much forgot about it until I heard that a screenplay had been written. WOW, I thought but who's goona green light this puppy? I reread the short story several times before 2006 when I first saw the movie. I think that "BBM" the short story is just about the most perfect short story I have ever read. The movie only makes it so much better.....I finally got to see those Lodgepole pines. the bridge, the creek, the tent.....

mvansand76

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 04:46:52 pm »
About 1999 I read the short story in Annie Proulx's collection of Wyoming stories. I was immediately moved, but I put it aside and pretty much forgot about it until I heard that a screenplay had been written. WOW, I thought but who's goona green light this puppy? I reread the short story several times before 2006 when I first saw the movie. I think that "BBM" the short story is just about the most perfect short story I have ever read. The movie only makes it so much better.....I finally got to see those Lodgepole pines. the bridge, the creek, the tent.....

....and here you are on Bettermost! Welcome!  :D
Thank you for posting and I hope you have a great time here...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2007, 04:27:22 pm »
thankyou Snavel, Bettermost is a great site. I really enjoy the dialog and will try to visit the site whenever I'm near my laptop. Sometimes, I "forget" to pack the laptop when I want to get into the forest and hike.

mvansand76

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2007, 04:34:07 pm »
thankyou Snavel, Bettermost is a great site. I really enjoy the dialog and will try to visit the site whenever I'm near my laptop. Sometimes, I "forget" to pack the laptop when I want to get into the forest and hike.

Well, anytime you can get online you are more than welcome here, to lurk or to post or both!  ;)

Mel