Author Topic: Why is the "dozy embrace" in the film?  (Read 66480 times)

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Why is the "dozy embrace" in the film?
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2006, 12:21:04 pm »
I think Jake's eyes and eyelids were the first things I notice when I first saw him, in real life, not the movie.  Then the emphasis in the movie just did me in.  Eyes and lips (lips, not a typo for lids), are usually the first things I notice when I meet people because they say so much about the person before you actually talk to them.  I could sit and stare at Jake's eyes for days....Doug

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2006, 07:35:56 pm »
I think Jake's eyes and eyelids were the first things I notice when I first saw him, in real life, not the movie.  Then the emphasis in the movie just did me in.  Eyes and lips (lips, not a typo for lids), are usually the first things I notice when I meet people because they say so much about the person before you actually talk to them.  I could sit and stare at Jake's eyes for days....Doug

Wait! Wait! Wait! Doug ... are you saying you have met this beautiful man? Can I keel over and die right now?
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2006, 09:28:12 pm »
I didn't expect such a reaction from you, Diane, but no, not up-close-and-personal.  Just as an object of movie-star searching.  I have friends still living in the LA/Hollywood area, and SOMETIMES when we hit the streets we often run into "people", at taco stands, ice cream parlors, fast-food places (it's surprising how many rich and famous people dine "fast-food" mode).  I'm not one to run up to and attack a star, but I know some who do! Maybe next time!

And no, don't keel over just yet...he may be in your neck of the woods soon.  "Neck-of-the-woods" is country for "locale".

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2006, 09:43:22 pm »
I didn't expect such a reaction from you, Diane, but no, not up-close-and-personal.  Just as an object of movie-star searching.  I have friends still living in the LA/Hollywood area, and SOMETIMES when we hit the streets we often run into "people", at taco stands, ice cream parlors, fast-food places (it's surprising how many rich and famous people dine "fast-food" mode).  I'm not one to run up to and attack a star, but I know some who do! Maybe next time!

And no, don't keel over just yet...he may be in your neck of the woods soon.  "Neck-of-the-woods" is country for "locale".

Not to say that I would attack Jake (of course, not to say I wouldn't ...  ::)), but LORDY! He is beautiful. I think I would choke on a taco if he walked by.   :o  SIGH!

BTW, sad to say … I know what “in your neck of the woods” means. I live in a very rural place!  :-\
Diane

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2006, 10:41:42 pm »
I think if I ever met Jake in person - or even see him at a distance - I would jump up and down and scream "Jake!!" Then throw myself at him. Or else I would just stand there, slack-jawed and drooling; I'm not sure which. There are a fair amount of movies filmed in Minneapolis and believe me - I'm not one for breaking the law but I would stalk that man until he had to get a restraining order out on me if he was filming in location in Mpls! (oh please please please)

Jack/Jake's soft face in the dozy embrace is too beautiful for words. He looks like an angel (okay it's starting to get a little late and I'm starting to get a little sappy) but he is beautiful. Jennifer Aniston's character, Justine, says about Jake's character, Tom/Holden, that he has "pouty lips like a woman." and his eyes turn down at the corners, making him look melancholy. Jake can look so broody and yet when he laughs every part of his face laughs, too. It kind of sounds like I'm in love with Jake Gyllenhaal, doesn't it? THAT'S CUZ I AM!! :-*

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2006, 09:29:58 am »
I think everyone is a little star struck wether they would admit it or not.  I have met Morgan Freeman a couple of times.  I know it is not the same as Jake, but a celebrity none the same.  It is weird to see "famous" people out and about like "normal" people. 
I wish I knew how to quit you.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2006, 10:55:45 am »
I am actually pretty good buds With Christopher Atkins (Blue Lagoon if anyone even remembers). We go every year to the LA Auto Show. He put me up at his house once when I was very ill and took good care of me for several days. Still very good looking, held up better than most of his era, although I tease him about having wrinkles, once we were in a hot tub and he said" better get out I'm getting shriveled", I replied "Yeah but your face wasn't in the water". Just a regular guy and one of the nicest people I know..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 02:03:57 am by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

moremojo

« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2006, 11:26:51 am »
I am actually pretty good buds With Christopher Atkins (Blue Lagoon if anyone even remembers). He put me up at his house once when I was very ill and took good care of me for several days. Still very good looking, held up better than most of his era. Just a regular guy.
He always struck me like a nice guy--glad to hear he's still around and doing okay. I think it's very useful to remember that celebrities are human beings, just like the rest of us, with feelings, needs, and frailties. I have been star-struck a few times in my life, but I always remind myself that it's very important to address anyone and everyone, whether famous or not, with respect, humanity, and deference.

I remember there being a thread (I think on Chez Tremblay) about folks' various encounters with the famous and talented. Truly, judging from the experiences many shared, you never know when someone well-known might show up in your proximity. So all you Jake-watchers, stay on the alert (but remember to be nice ;)).

:)
Scott

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2006, 09:07:10 pm »
That's very good advise.  Famous people are not as stand-offish as "regular" people might think.  For those of us in the So. Cal. area, it is a daily occurrence.  I went with friends in 19?? to a bar on Wilshire Blvd in WeHo and sat down at the bar, turned around to order and knocked my elbow into the drinking arm of Rod McKuen.  Had a nice chat and future affair (but that's another story).  Mary Tyler Moore took a tomato away from me at the market..actually, we reached at the same time, but she got first dibs.  Back in the 1970s, celebrities were more accessable, less afraid of the public, but today, the paparazzi has caused them to disguise themselves.  And the fans are also responsible for some of it because of the "attack" mode in most of them.  I grew up among the Hollywood stars and have always considered them just regular people.  That's not to say I'm not star struck..if Streissand, Midler, or Mathis should suddenly appear within radar range, whose knows what  might do.   

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2006, 11:52:15 am »
I grew up among the Hollywood stars and have always considered them just regular people.  That's not to say I'm not star struck..if Streissand, Midler, or Mathis should suddenly appear within radar range, whose knows what  might do.   

I think it's very useful to remember that celebrities are human beings, just like the rest of us, with feelings, needs, and frailties. I have been star-struck a few times in my life, but I always remind myself that it's very important to address anyone and everyone, whether famous or not, with respect, humanity, and deference.

You know Scott and Doug ... your comments reminded me of something and I just couldn't resist. I am a huge “I Love Lucy” fan. There is an episode “L.A. at Last” where Lucy, Fred and Ethel go to the Brown Derby. As they sit there a number of star’s names are being called out like Cary Grant, etc. Whenever Lucy and Ethel hear a name they jump up and look around until they can locate the star. Fred tells them that they need to stop it and says, “They’re just people like you and me.” Then you hear Ava Gardner’s name being called and Fred jumps up. Ethel says, “she’s just people like you and me.” And Fred answers, “She may be people, but she’s not like you and me.”  I just think that’s hysterical!  ;D So, IMO, Jake may be “people” but he’s not like anyone I know around here! :laugh: :laugh:
Diane