Author Topic: Why is the "dozy embrace" in the film?  (Read 66046 times)

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Why is the "dozy embrace" in the film?
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2006, 09:19:01 pm »
There was a posting somewhere else that gave a definition of “del Mar”. Although I can’t remember it all … it is important to note that “mar” is defined as “to detract from the perfection or wholeness”.

"del mar" is a contraction of "de la mar", Spanish for "of [or from] the sea". I took it to be an old Spanish name, because Annie Proulx says in an interview somewhere that the people she's writing about are "autochthones", which I had to look up, not being familiar with the word. It means an "original or indigenous inhabitant of a place; an aborigine". As the Spanish were the first European settlers in the American west, I drew that conclusion. Does someone have a different theory?
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2006, 09:22:38 pm »
"del mar" is a contraction of "de la mar", Spanish for "of [or from] the sea". I took it to be an old Spanish name, because Annie Proulx says in an interview somewhere that the people she's writing about are "autochthones", which I had to look up, not being familiar with the word. It means an "original or indigenous inhabitant of a place; an aborigine". As the Spanish were the first European settlers in the American west, I drew that conclusion. Does someone have a different theory?

Where did you find this information? That's great! I know I found something on "Twist" and I posted it somewhere else on this board. "Twist" has a distinct meaning ... that's for sure!  ;)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2006, 09:51:26 pm »
Where did you find this information? That's great! I know I found something on "Twist" and I posted it somewhere else on this board. "Twist" has a distinct meaning ... that's for sure!  ;)

I speak Spanish, though it's not my first language. I went to school in Mexico City for a couple years in the 60s. That's when/where I had my BBM experience with a guy from Texas. The Proulx interview I read (I finally found it again) was from a Jackson Hole, Wyoming site:
<http://www.planetjh.com/testa_2005_12_07_proulx.html>

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2006, 12:01:12 pm »

Actually, del Mar is not a contraction of de la mar. It's just another way of putting it.  El mar o la mar are both correct. So you can either say del mar o de la mar. I, for one, never ever refer to the sea as la mar, I call it el mar.  "La mar" used to be a spanish fishermen's slang, because in Spanish when you're going sailing and you want to be poetic about it, you say "hacerse a la mar". But "la mar" is now so widespread that the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language accepted it as a correct way to refer to the sea. However when you speak in plural it's wrong to say las mares. The correct way is LOS mares. And when you refer to a particular sea, for example The Red Sea or The Caribbean Sea, you say El Mar Rojo or El Mar Caribe, never La Mar Roja o La Mar Caribe, that's wrong.

Also, Del mar is a spanish last name (though not very common) as well as a woman's middle name. For example: Maria del Mar or Rosa del Mar.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 12:18:34 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2006, 01:01:25 pm »
Actually, del Mar is not a contraction of de la mar.
Also, Del mar is a spanish last name (though not very common) as well as a woman's middle name. For example: Maria del Mar or Rosa del Mar.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking. A lot of my Spanish comes from the street--I've never heard anyone educated say la mar, and I myself use el mar. But, evidently, I also use the expression de la mar, because it just popped out.  Re the name--thanks for confirming that it is a real name. I was wondering, never having heard it. There is an English (French?) equivalent, I think, as in the poet Walter de la Mare, whose family name, I read now, was previously spelled Delamare.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2006, 02:28:48 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't thinking.

No need to apologize,   :D  it's a common mistake. Spanish is spoken uin 20 countries and each has their own kind of Spanish, so don't worry. De la Mare sounds italian but it could be portuguese too or French, i don't know.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 02:31:37 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2006, 03:00:32 pm »
Spanish is spoken uin 20 countries and each has their own kind of Spanish, so don't worry.

I was watching La Virgen de los Sicarios (Our Lady of the Assassins) again last night, a movie I really, really like. But between the slang and the accents, much of the dialog is incomprehensible to me. I replayed some scenes over and over trying to get certain words, but in many cases, couldn't, even with a translation. It's annoying, knowing you're missing subtle nuances in a fine film . . .

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2006, 03:35:54 pm »

I've read somewhere that Ennis Del Mar means "island of the sea", but what does Jack Twist means?  I had a hard time searching for that thread.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2006, 03:41:39 pm »
I've read somewhere that Ennis Del Mar means "island of the sea", but what does Jack Twist means?  I had a hard time searching for that thread.
It has to do with rear end muscles needed for bull ridding, I think Anne Proiux writes aout it in "Getting Movied".
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2006, 03:49:08 pm »
Oh!  That make sense.  LOL