Author Topic: What do you scream at the TV screen?  (Read 9342 times)

mvansand76

Re: What do you scream at the TV screen?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 06:10:01 am »
I plan to watch the movie tonight with not one but two BBM virgins, both of whom are known for editorializing heavily when watching movies in someone's home (they're at least polite in movie theaters).  It'll be most interesting to hear what they have to say to whom and when.

And... what happened?  :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 07:25:24 am »
And... what happened?  :D

I probably editorialized more than they did.  ;)

It was interesting.  These are two women who are generally blockbuster types only - neither of them had ever seen Jake in *anything* and had only seen Heath in "A Knight's Tale," if that gives you any indication.

We ended up talking about it for about an hour afterwards.  They both thought the first tent scene came about "too soon."  (GAH!)  That there was plenty of chemistry coming from Jack to warrant it but not enough from Ennis.  They also thought it was more of an unrequited love story in that sense - that Jack always felt "more" than Ennis.  (GAH squared!)

One of them had a take on the flash to Jack being murdered that I've not heard before, though, and that is worthy of further study.  She said she didn't see it as being what Ennis was imagining happened at all - she saw it as Ennis processing the story Lureen was telling him and processing the fact that Jack is really dead (she's lost some people close to her and knows from this) and the filmmaker showing us, the audience, meanwhile, what *really* happened.  Kind of a simple-minded, unseasoned-movie-veteran way of looking at it.  Or is it?

They both laughed out loud when Jack told L.D. off and Lureen gave that little satisfied smile.  They also both said "Oh, NO!" when Aguirre turned out to be watching them.  And I just remembered!  One of them actually said during the post-divorce scene "Stupid GUY!"  (Like - isn't that typical?  We've all been there to some extent, huh?)

All in all, they weren't overwhelmed (alas, they are not Brokies).  But considering this isn't remotely their usual fare, they both said it was very well-done and that they appreciated that "the filmmaker" let them decide on their own what really happened in a couple of key places and "didn't beat us over the head with a message like 'Crash'."

So it's all good.  :)
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 07:38:19 am »
 ;) So they liked it, but didn't quite understand what the big deal was?

God, I find it sooo difficult sometimes to watch this movie with non-Brokie people, they look at it so differently. The only person who likes this movie almost as much as I love it, is my sister but she is in no way a Brokie. 

Wouldn't it be fun to just for one day be able to erase all your memories of the movie and the discussions surrounding it, and watch the movie for the first time again, without knowing ANYTHING about it, maybe then we would be able to understand non-Brokies!  ;D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 07:50:01 am »
Here's a new one: I always get furious at Jimbo. I mean, what a prick, embarrassing Jack like that! The nerve...

Stitchbuffy - I always come at this scene a little differently by screaming at Jack - 'Don't go there, don't do it, DO NOT DO IT!!' when he approaches Jimbo, but of course he never listens to me. ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 07:56:25 am »
Hey Barb!

I'm glad you had a chance to initiate two newbies to BBM.    I'm glad they liked it even thought they didn't "Love it".

I guess the difference is some people dont fall in love with the characters the way we did.   Of course, the many of us that have had similar story line experiences are the ones hit the hardest. 

Personally, I can't see how anyone couldn't just want to run over to the screen and start kissing Jake!  LOL.      Damn, I need to wipe the lint of of my TV screen.   ::)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 08:43:54 am »
When Ennis is marrying Alma......i feel like shouting.....DONT ENNIS....ITS THE START OF A SHIT LIFE FOR YOU.........

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 08:53:39 am »
Hey Barb!

I'm glad you had a chance to initiate two newbies to BBM.    I'm glad they liked it even thought they didn't "Love it".

I guess the difference is some people dont fall in love with the characters the way we did.   Of course, the many of us that have had similar story line experiences are the ones hit the hardest. 

Personally, I can't see how anyone couldn't just want to run over to the screen and start kissing Jake!  LOL.      Damn, I need to wipe the lint of of my TV screen.   ::)

Yeah, I think that's the thing - either you fall in love with the characters or you don't.  They did both say that had they seen it in a theater and been alone in the dark with their thoughts and little to no distractions, they'd have probably picked up on the subtleties more.  And their observation about the first tent scene was somewhat different from the usual one - or they expanded enough on it that I could understand where they were coming from.  They said it wasn't that they didn't know each other well enough or long enough - of course they did.  But that they thought Jack was taking a *huge* chance coming on to Ennis like that, even drunk.  They just didn't see Ennis giving any indication to Jack prior to that that he was interested in anything more from him than friendship.  But again, they were distracted from time to time and didn't notice the subtle indications.  One of them said she was afraid he was gonna beat the hell out of him when he first jumped up like that.

And yeah, I don't get that, either.  I still laugh thinking about the guy on IMDb who said he really was a ranch hand in Wyoming and straight and that by the end of the movie he "wanted to kiss that guy."

They did at least come away from it saying they'd like to see all the lead actors in other things, now (they were particularly impressed with Michelle), so it must have made some impression.
No more beans!

Offline David

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 09:19:29 am »
Hi Barb,

Your friend was correct in saying it was a "Huge Chance" that Jack took.   And it happens in REAL life that way too.

Often it is just one person who feels the attraction and mistakes friendship for something more.     Trust me,  I made that same "Jack Twist" move in a tent with my best friend when we were both 19, and it backfired.   Fortunately he didn't beat the crap out of me,  he just declined, told me to go back to sleep and he rolled back over!   LOL

I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was embarrassed as hell.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:19:16 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 09:31:41 am »
Hi Barb,

Your friend was correct in saying it was a "Huge Chance" that Jack took.   And it happens in REAL life that way too.

Often it is just one person who feels the attraction and mistakes friendship for something more.     Trust me,  I made that same "Jack Twist" move in a tent with my best friend when we were both 19, and it backfired.   Fortunately he didn't beat the crap out of me,  he just declined, to me to go back to sleep and rolled back over!   LOL

I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was embarrassed as hell.

Sure, it does.  It's happened to me, too.  Backfired BIG time two different times and didn't the other.  (Sort of) ironically, one of the times it backfired turned out to be because he was gay.  So I'm one for three in making the first move.  Not a very admirable record, except maybe in baseball.
No more beans!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 10:06:25 am »
Wouldn't it be fun to just for one day be able to erase all your memories of the movie and the discussions surrounding it, and watch the movie for the first time again, without knowing ANYTHING about it, maybe then we would be able to understand non-Brokies! 

I did watch it without knowing anything about it (except it got a good review in the Seattle Times & had Jake in it).  And I left "dazed & confused", sleepless for 3 nights & a Brokie!

And I always yell at the screen during the Reunion kiss - "Why  not ME??!!"
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"