Author Topic: What do you scream at the TV screen?  (Read 9428 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: What do you scream at the TV screen?
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 10:22:04 am »
I did watch it without knowing anything about it (except it got a good review in the Seattle Times & had Jake in it).  And I left "dazed & confused", sleepless for 3 nights & a Brokie!

Same here.  I knew nothing about the movie when I saw it.   I left the theater not knowing if I wanted to cry or go into the alley and throw up.    :P

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 10:26:20 am »
Same here.  I knew nothing about the movie when I saw it.   I left the theater not knowing if I wanted to cry or go into the alley and throw up.    :P

Allow me to jump onto that bandwagon.  I felt like a deer (or elk?) in the headlights for two days, then had to will myself to stop crying at inopportune moments.

I'm glad that I'm far enough along in my process, though, to be able to hear any kind of criticism of this film and view it objectively.  Had I shown it to them two or three months ago and gotten the same reactions, I might no longer wish to speak to them.  Sad but true.  So at least I've made some progress!  ;)
No more beans!

Offline David

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 10:37:48 am »
I think I'm past the worst of it too.   Although watching the DVD is still kinda tough for me.   

As for peoples critisism,  I still am disappointed if people just shrug about it.   If they say they don't like it, I ask why.  Then if they say it was too sad, I understand and drop the subject.     Not everyone can appreciate a well written story, sad or not.    I also think some people have short attention spans.  My Mom has completely forgotten everything about BBM.   LOL.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 11:42:57 am »
I remember not comprehending why everyone didn't see/feel exactly what I did.  I raved to virtually everyone I saw & then I was upset with people's response.  Now I accept that some people just haven't dealt with fear or regret.  They just think it is a 'good' movie.

That's now ok w/ me.  Sort of... :-\
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 01:22:51 pm »
I remember not comprehending why everyone didn't see/feel exactly what I did.  I raved to virtually everyone I saw & then I was upset with people's response.  Now I accept that some people just haven't dealt with fear or regret.  They just think it is a 'good' movie.

Same here.  I still don't get it.  But I can accept it.  Barely.
No more beans!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 06:23:20 pm »

I'm still struggling with this.  I try very hard for it to be OK with me.  I know, intellectually, all the reasons we've discussed for why not everyone gets/or is ready for the message(s).  But I'm still at the point, particularly with closer friends, that I translate it as 'You don't get me, then, and maybe never have.'  ???  Sad, and probably too harsh, but it's how I feel.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

mvansand76

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 10:07:38 am »

Oh God, I had the same feeling, even though I had read about EVERYTHING there was to read about the movie before I saw it in January, had been on imdb.com from September. When the credits rolled I just sat there next to my sister. I walked out of the movie theater and my sister asked me what I was thinking, I just stared in the distance and told her to ask me again in a few minutes. I honestly could not talk about the movie, was just numb. That night I flew back to Amsterdam and at the airport the only thing I could do was stare some more into the distance. Then I got on the plane and started listening to the soundtrack on my iPod and the tears started streaming down my face, I was glad I had three seats to myself!  :'(

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 10:46:48 am »
I didn't want to see or talk to anyone for hours after seeing the movie for the first time. I was really hungry, and had to go get lunch (I went to a 10 am matinee, all the better for privacy, and better for the four-hour drive to the theater and home). It was an effort just to order a sandwich.

I was glad I had four hours alone in the car to process it afterwards. Just me, the car, the quiet, and the mountains rolling by...

(Is there anybody else who screams at the screen, but only in his/her head? I talk about yelling at the screen, but I'm still completely silent. And I would be hesitant to watch the DVD with anyone else, because it might distract me from my complete absorption in the story...)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 04:05:40 pm »
I would be hesitant to watch the DVD with anyone else, because it might distract me from my complete absorption in the story...)

I have, and it did. The third time I saw it, I went with a close friend. That was fine, but it was in the theater, and her first time seeing it. She ended up with a review DVD, saw it a few more times, and I have watched part of it a couple of times with her. But it is annoying and distracting. Despite her multiple viewings, my friend is not nearly as into the movie as I am, which inhibits my response to the particularly intense scenes. I find myself distracting myself, on purpose! All other times, I have seen it alone, which I infinitely prefer.

I don't shout at the screen, though, not even silently. It's like watching Groundhog Day -- seeing the same mistakes get made over and over, by Ennis particularly, and I keep hoping that someday he'll figure things out and make a different choice. But so far, he hasn't.

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 06:06:29 pm »
I do not talk to anyone other than on here about the movie.  I told my husband about how unbelivably sad and gut-wrenching the movie was.  He just looked at me so sad.  I watched the movie the 1st time and every time after alone.  I do not want to talk to anyone about it causally.  To me it is so much more than just a movie.  I went to work the day after I watched it and was it the most upseting mood.  I do not act like that at work.  I was confused, depressed, sad all at the same time.  My husband and children were at my in-laws for a few days for summer and when I talked to him the night after I watched it I cried like a baby.  He was worried and upset.  I thought, How can I tell him that I am miserable and upset over a movie.  I will only watch it alone and I have the DVD hidden in a drawer.  Isn't that sad?  I hide it like Jack and Ennis had to hide.  Not because I am ashamed, but because it is my own special bond with them.  I do not want to share them with anyone I know. 

I just want to scream at the final lake scene, Jack, do not let him leave.  Then I tell Ennis, Tell him you love him.  Just move out to the middle of no where and be together.  It is the saddest thing I have ever witnessed.  Everytime I watch it is so hard.  Especially the nuzzle flashback.  How unbelivable to love someone so much and not be together.  What a sad society we lived in and still live in.
I wish I knew how to quit you.