Author Topic: What do you scream at the TV screen?  (Read 9402 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: What do you scream at the TV screen?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2006, 10:22:07 pm »
This thread seems to have got off track a bit from the original subject, but I have been enthralled at the responses telling us about the first time they saw the movie.....because once again, I am finding out that the similarities between how you felt and how i felt are so much the same, in fact, identical.

Let me tell you about my first time.......it started off actually a couple of weeks before....I had met a lady on internet chat, and we connected very well with each other because we discussed our mutual "bi-curiosity", with one another....we live close by, so had met for coffee a couple of times, but we didnt act on our attraction to one another, and nothing became physical with each other.....every time we had talked though, we had said that as soon as Brokeback mountain came to the local theatre, we would definately go and see it together.....I thought that watching a movie together, with a gay theme, might encourage some intimacy between us....

Neither of us knew much about it....excepte the term "gay cowboy movie"....neither of us had read the book....we had just read a few reviews in the newspaper.

Well, we watched the movie, not saying a word thru it, and when we came outside the theatre, I asked her what she thought....and she said "Yeah, it was good"....and she asked me, what did  I think...and I just couldnt find any words to describe what I was feeling...I kept running my fingers thru my hair, like i was feeling a bit agitated, i kept shaking my head, thinking, "what do I say", I really couldnt find any words to describe what I was feeling....then I finally said to her "I gotta go away and think about this, and work out what the hell i am feeling"......

She got in her car, and I got in my car, and that was it....I just wanted to be alone...I had a half hour drive to get home, and I talked to myself the whole way home.....and I kept saying to myself.."Why is that movie affecting me like this, How is the movie affecting me, What am I thinking about that makes me feel so different".....I had an overwhelming feeling of sadness, i drove, and I cried.....I forgave people in my life for things that I had never forgiven them for.....i yelled out loud..."I forgive you".....I thought of people that I love and said "I love you".....I thought about how life could be so cruel.

Same here.  I knew nothing about the movie when I saw it.   I left the theater not knowing if I wanted to cry or go into the alley and throw up.    :P

If ever a quote describes how I felt, this one does.

As far as the relationship with my new friend, well, we chatted again a few times after seeing the movie, but she didnt seem to want to dwell on the movie too much, when all I wanted to do was talk to her about it....and consequently, we ran out of things to talk about, and eventually, the chats got less and less, and now we dont communicate anymore.

I gathered a few other friends together for my next viewing at the theatre, thinking that surely, at least one of them would feel the same way as I did, give me someone to talk to about it, and how I was feeling....out of the five friends I went with (all straight women)...it was my sister in law who cried and came out of the theatre, feeling the wretched sadness, and although she didnt become obsessed like I did, at least she allowed me to indulge in my obsessiveness with her, and she would sit and listen to me.

It was after that, that I searched and found BBM message board, and was overwhelmed that there were all these people talking about everything I wanted to talk about......like a group therapy thing.....I was not alone....IT did not just happen to me....

My sister in law went with me a second time to see the movie at the theatre, and then I went the fourth and last time on my own....and I prefer to watch the DVD on my own too now....I forced my husband to sit and watch it with me, but I think he had got so sick of me talking about it, he could not enjoy it like I would have hoped he would.

Now, its just ME, my DVD and my MESSAGE BOARD.....

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

mvansand76

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 06:29:28 am »

I just want to scream at the final lake scene, Jack, do not let him leave.  Then I tell Ennis, Tell him you love him.  Just move out to the middle of no where and be together.  It is the saddest thing I have ever witnessed.  Everytime I watch it is so hard.  Especially the nuzzle flashback.  How unbelivable to love someone so much and not be together.  What a sad society we lived in and still live in.

That is beautifully put and yes, this scene also makes me feel so helpless, it makes me want to jump through the screen, the flashback scene is almost too much to bear....

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 09:35:16 am »
That is beautifully put and yes, this scene also makes me feel so helpless, it makes me want to jump through the screen, the flashback scene is almost too much to bear....

I agree.  It literally makes my stomach churn and feel like it's getting all tied up in knots (I seem to feel everything the most there) every time I watch it.  And yet it's like a crime or car accident scene - I can't look away.  I just feel wretched afterwards, and the only thing that cures it just a little bit is watching Alma Jr.'s face open up like a flower when her Daddy finally doesn't let her down - doesn't let someone down - for the first time in his adult life.
No more beans!