Author Topic: HEATH WILL PLAY THE JOKER IN BATMAN BEGINS SEQUEL!  (Read 23473 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: HEATH WILL PLAY THE JOKER IN BATMAN BEGINS SEQUEL!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 01:42:13 pm »
Heath playing a guy who murders for fun?  :'(  :'(  :'(

*Hugs Ennis really hard*

I know, I'm kinda dreadin' it.  Heath becoming the Joker is big talk over at IMDb on both the movie's message board and Heath's.  Be prepared for a lot of stupid "gay cowboy" talk if you wade in to look at it though.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 04:00:05 pm »
I doubt I'll see it--I never see "blockbusters"--but I have to admit I'm impressed. When it comes to acting, that young man knows no fear.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: HEATH MIGHT PLAY THE JOKER IN BATMAN BEGINS SEQUEL!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 04:02:14 pm »
Heath playing a guy who murders for fun?  :'(  :'(  :'(

I'm getting Kevin vibes if you know what I mean. And those aren't happy vibes- I remain sadly disappointed with any and all actors who take on sadistic and evil roles that mainly have a "cool entertainment" value.  :-\

Of course I know too little of this role yet to say any such thing......... but I don't like what I hear so far.

*Hugs Ennis really hard along with you*

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 04:31:16 pm »
The only question I have is WHY do we need another remake of Batman.  It's not like the Jack Nicholson version was in black and white.  And haven't we learned from the sequelmania that going back to the well one more time does not always make for movie gold.

I have already grown weary of the comic book adaptation movies.  It's always a phase with Hollywood.  We had the return of disaster movies, then we had the weather/environment adventure dramas, then the comic books...  boring.

I have seen one film since BBM - An Inconvenient Truth... hmm... you could interchange those:

An Inconvenient Truth: Brokeback Mountain
Brokeback Mountain: An Inconvenient Truth

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 04:37:06 pm »
The other newer Batman movies (at least a few of them) were very, how should I say this, unrealistic, because they were made by Tim Burton. I think there are people who just want to make the films a little better. And I was very impressed with "Batman Begins" after resisting seeing it in the theater as long as I did: realistic, surprisingly philosophical, excellent acting, and believable villains, even if one of them didn't have much of a background to him. So I for one am grateful for that movie and any sequels that want to come along that can help carry that forward.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 06:39:43 pm »
The only question I have is WHY do we need another remake of Batman.  It's not like the Jack Nicholson version was in black and white.  And haven't we learned from the sequelmania that going back to the well one more time does not always make for movie gold.

You have a point Phillip. I wonder the very same thing. Hollywood people keep complaining about the lack of good screenplays to choose from, which is so strange with so many aspiring writers struggling to make it in Tinseltown. However,  European filmmakers are coming up with fresh ideas and good movies. If Hollywood people were smart, and really knew their audience they'd be more eager to consider new ideas, and we wouldn't have to endure to have the same movies being re made over and over again.

If you are looking for new movies to watch, I strongly recommend Pedro Almodovar's latest flick Volver. I think it opens in the fall in the US. Great movie, and great performances.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 06:41:15 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 07:08:55 pm »
The only question I have is WHY do we need another remake of Batman. 

Well, having become an expert on the matter last night as I was surfing around reading about this - Apparently Batman Begins is highly regarded, and the director of it, Chris Nolan, who also made Memento, is highly regarded.  There's my expert info on the matter.  :)

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 09:49:55 pm »
I agree w/ Daniel.  I did not care for the Batman films prior to Batman Begins (esp the villians) - am hoping that since Christian Bale & the same director are returning that this will be far better (I at least hope so - and that Heath will be wonderful & not a caricature).
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 12:28:39 am »
I agree w/ Daniel.  I did not care for the Batman films prior to Batman Begins (esp the villians) - am hoping that since Christian Bale & the same director are returning that this will be far better (I at least hope so - and that Heath will be wonderful & not a caricature).

This is what I'm hoping for when I say that I hope he'll be more human... that he won't be a caricature, which, IMO, Jack Nicholson's Joker was.  I enjoyed Batman Begins, I think they did a very good job of taking it away from the silliness that is typical of a comic book movie, especailly a Batman movie, and moving into something a little more adult and dramatic in it's themes.  I will admit though, i have a soft spot in my heart for Batman and I had been waiting for them to make a good Batman movie for a while, since they insist on making one after another.  I think that if Nolan keeps to the way he did Batman Begins, the sequel could be very good and worth making, and I think Heath will pull it off.  I don't think it will just be a sadistic role for entertainment value like Nicholson's was...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 01:23:26 am »
Well, having become an expert on the matter last night as I was surfing around reading about this - Apparently Batman Begins is highly regarded, and the director of it, Chris Nolan, who also made Memento, is highly regarded.  There's my expert info on the matter.  :)

My expert info extends to having seen both movies. Memento is one of my all-time favorites. I liked Batman Begins pretty well (my sons didn't, but that's not necessarily a bad sign).

I have a soft spot for Batman, too. Whereas the old movies were sometimes interestingly dark but ultimately cartoonish, I think the idea behind the new series is to show Batman as sort of an ordinary person with an unusual lifestyle. If that's the way they present the Joker, too, it could be good.

I'll have to admit the concept makes me nervous, though. I keep picturing Heath with those green Jack Nicholson lips and wild caricaturish laugh.