Author Topic: HEATH WILL PLAY THE JOKER IN BATMAN BEGINS SEQUEL!  (Read 23407 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: HEATH WILL PLAY THE JOKER IN BATMAN BEGINS SEQUEL!
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 06:33:15 pm »
I went over to Imdb and read part of the discussions on Heath as the Joker. Wow, was that ever a fandom reality check!  ;D

Relatively many posters seem *very* worried (or even convinced) that Heath won't manage to do the part justice. And since they are dedicated batman fans, the fact that Heath may not be able to play the "Clown Prince of Crime" causes them very much concern. Words used include "unworthy" and the like.

Several are saying that sure, he played a gay cowboy well enough, but that doesn't mean he can manage to pull off the (apparently much more demanding and important) "psychotic serial killing genius" role to their satisfaction. And it's very clear that it's the latter makes or breaks Heath's acting in their view. The Joker is serious business. Ennis was just some "gay" role that Heath took on to win awards, - and which didn't in any way, shape or form require the acting chops that the Joker requires.

This was an useful reminder of how every fandom ultimately is and works alike.... and that dedicated fans are *serious* about their obsession, no matter what that might be.

Not for me to say that one fandom is more or less rewarding than the other, of course. But still.... Heath "unworthy" to play a clownishly made-up killer in a comic film?   :o  ::)  ::)  Aaaargh. I personally think the role is beneath him and not the other way around.   (And yes, I know many here probably won't agree, and that's fine. But I can't help being disappointed about this role choice.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 06:42:36 pm by Mikaela »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 06:41:05 pm »
Ennis was just some "gay" role that Heath took on to win awards, - and which didn't in any way, shape or form require the acting chops that the Joker requires.

That's hilarious! We're all worried that the Joker's not good enough for Heath, and they're all worried that Heath's not good enough for the Joker.

Let the battle of the fans begin!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 07:19:21 pm »
Beauty, or in this case worthiness, is certainly in the eye of the beholder, alright.  I'm awfully glad I'm beholding Heath from the mountaintop at BetterMost instead of from the Bat Cave.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline opinionista

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 07:37:53 pm »

Not for me to say that one fandom is more or less rewarding than the other, of course. But still.... Heath "unworthy" to play a clownishly made-up killer in a comic film?   :o  ::)  ::)  Aaaargh. I personally think the role is beneath him and not the other way around.   (And yes, I know many here probably won't agree, and that's fine. But I can't help being disappointed about this role choice.)

Well, I think he is more interested in the paycheck. Superhero movies are high budget movies, and pay very good. This is not to say that Heath is materialistic or whatever, but he has a daughter now, two homes, so I guess he needs money to keep up with the life he lives. I know Michelle helps, but still. Nothing wrong with it IMO. Also, I don't think the Joker is a bad role. The topic of the movie may not be as interesting or intense as Brokeback Mountain's, but the Joker is a challenging role, especially now that's been immortalized by Jack Nicholson. Heath has a big challenge ahead. He has to convice the audience he can play the Joker as good as Nicholson, or better.

On the other hand, I read somewhere that hollywood actors do fight for roles in Superhero movies because of the paycheck and because these movies are practically shown everywhere, and are unlikely to be censored. That's attractive for them because they depend a lot on their image and fame to be considered for roles, and get big paychecks. Kirsten Dunst fought hard for the Mary Jane role in Spiderman, and so did Jake with that same movie, and also Superman. (Jake auditioned for Brandon Routh's role). But he didn't get it. I read somewhere that Jake is looking for a role in a superhero movie.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 07:56:15 pm »
Interesting that you should mention that, Natali. I read a couple of places that Heath turned down the role of Spider-Man in favor of Brokeback Mountain, for which I have always respected him. That's one reason I found this news slightly disappointing.

I sometimes enjoy watching comic-book movies myself, but I hate what big cartoonish blockbusters have done to cinema in general. I wish we would get back to an art dominated by character-driven films like Brokeback and all the others that were up for Oscars this year (yes, even Crash).

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 08:01:51 pm »
....so did Jake with that same movie [Spiderman], and also Superman. (Jake auditioned for Brandon Routh's role).

I'm probably the only one who's immediate reaction to learning of Jake not getting those roles was: Thank God!

Much as I like seeing Jake in tight revealing outfits, I don't want him in any superhero film because I'm absolutely no fan of the genre, and have consistently failed to be impressed with the acting the stars do while wearing the weird costumes and drowning in special effects and predictable story-lines.

hollywood actors do fight for roles in Superhero movies because of the paycheck and because these movies are practically shown everywhere, and are unlikely to be censored. That's attractive for them because they depend a lot on their image and fame to be considered for roles, and get big paychecks.

This makes a lot of sense.

I have a strong knee-jerk aversion to sadism and violence portrayed for entertainment purposes, so I think it's a pity that they do vie for these roles - a pity that such roles pay so well and are so image-enhancing - and a pity that Heath got one.  :(

ETA:

Heath turned down the role of Spider-Man in favor of Brokeback Mountain

That earns this post another Thank God from me! (I hadn't heard that.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 08:07:26 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2006, 12:44:50 am »
Heath will be great in this role, of course.  But let's not forget that Heath could very well be the Marlon Brando of our time.  Godspeed Heath!
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2006, 12:48:56 am »
Heath will be great in this role, of course.  But let's not forget that Heath could very well be the Marlon Brando of our time.  Godspeed Heath!

'Cept he's way better at accents than Brando was.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2006, 12:54:17 am »
Yes...much better at accents.  Oh my Clarrissa, I need a "live in the flesh" Heath fix.  What to do, what to do?
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2006, 01:07:00 am »
I'm probably the only one who's immediate reaction to learning of Jake not getting those roles was: Thank God!

Not the only one... I thought the exact same thing.  Also, when Jake was linked to the role of two-face earlier I had the same reaction.  I just do not see him in a comic book movie and, as much as I love him and think he is an amazingly talented actor, I just don't think it would be a good fit.  he could pull it off, but... and this is coming from someone who enjoys comic book films (well, to a certain extent... I like Batman and Spiderman but can't stand the other ones)

I think it's the same with Heath, I think he can pull it off and I'm hoping that he'll inject a bit of a human quality into the role now that he has it, and I'm happy that it is a Batman movie of all comic book movies it could be... but I'm not exactly excited to see him take this role.  I don't have anything against comic book films, it's just a strange fit.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73