Author Topic: HEATH WILL PLAY THE JOKER IN BATMAN BEGINS SEQUEL!  (Read 23439 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: HEATH WILL PLAY THE JOKER IN BATMAN BEGINS SEQUEL!
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2006, 02:22:04 am »
We could ask Ang. :)

:laugh:

Good point! Let's hope for everyone's sake that Batman Begins doesn't go the way of The Hulk.

Ang, judging from his comments in interviews, seemed genuinely surprised and disappointed that The Hulk was a failure. So maybe for him it wasn't all about the $.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2006, 02:37:43 am »
I don't think it's ALL about the money, though I can't help thinking that plays a big part - perhaps mostly for those studios who think a good / proven director will help them milk the most out of the franchise and put money, pressure and/or promises to bear to get such directors on board.
I think to the directors the challenge has to be a big part of it. At least I hope that's why Ang Lee took on the Hulk (a film that I didn't appreciate much when I finally saw it.) The challenge of operating within strict frames of plot and well-known OTT characters and action scene requirements and all that, satisfying all those conventions and limits, being subjected to the scrutiny of fans who in many cases already live and breathe this world and the characters too - and yet manage to come up with something original, expressive, interesting and meaningful. And fun.  ;)

It's like the old Norse poets who had to write within so strict rules for syntax, syllables, rhythm and rhymes, required imagery, required symbolism etc. that it's a marvel they didn't all write the same poem. Yet some of the best are true and unique masterpieces.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2006, 02:41:09 am »
It's like the old Norse poets who had to write within so strict rules for syntax, syllables, rhythm and rhymes, required imagery, required symbolism etc. that it's a marvel they didn't all write the same poem. Yet some of the best are true and unique masterpieces.

Good point, Diane. I can see that. And within those limitations, they can kind of let their imaginations run wild, because they aren't bound to the laws of reality.

vkm91941

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2006, 02:10:05 am »
Warner Bros. has confirmed that Heath Ledger will play The Joker in the upcoming Batman Begins sequel. In addition to the Ledger announcement, Warner Bros. also revealed the sequel's title to be The Dark Knight..

Well we all known Heath is a deeply serious actor with the chops to make this performance stunning, let hope they given him something good to work with.  I for one hope they forego the  urge for too much clown makeup while trying to perserve the integrity of the original comic books.  Also lets not forget that Jack Nicholson created this character once for this francise

vkm91941

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2006, 02:44:00 pm »

This is the photo-shopped pic going around IMDb but the consensus seems to be that this like Batman Begins will once again be a more stylised less comic book approach to the story

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2006, 03:57:58 pm »
over on page 49 of the HHH thread, Mainwriter put up one of the most attractive Heath as  the Joker speculations I have seen.  I don't know how to link it right now.

We have never seen Heath be truly bad before, and I think the stretch and the opportunity the role will afford him will be something very special to see.  The Joker may not be my favorite villian, and I really didn't care about JN's version of him much either--but truth be told---I have only thought one Batman movie was really well done and well storylined---and that was Batman Begins---and with the same director's vision, and the same basic cast---I see this as one sequel that could be better than the first one even--so  I am excitely optomistic about it and Heath's role in it.    Seems like this director likes all his characters mulit-dimentional, and that adds a lot to the movie in my opinion.
at least the Joker doesn't dress up in wierd spandex outfits--a little face paint is neither here or there to my vision of psycho killer who likes to delve into extremes.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2006, 04:25:20 pm »
I'm excited to see how he pulls it off.  Its an out there role and should be a challenge...which is probably what Heath was lookin for.  He does have some funny facial expressions and although he is very shy in public appearances he doesn't seem to be at all shy in front of the camera when filming movies (singing in Ten Things, dancing in A Knight's Tale, and acting dead drunk in Brokeback)...

I think he'll do good... :)

horo35

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2006, 07:10:21 pm »
It's too bad he's taking such a role.  But I for one hate the Batman movie franchise!  The 1st one was fine..then it just got ridiculous after that.  He could've been good in that new movie coming out..The Illusionist