Author Topic: The New Star Trek Movie  (Read 39737 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The New Star Trek Movie
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 12:39:54 pm »
OK, I am not now, nor have I ever been (nor am I likely to become) a Trekkie, but I still find it vaguely disturbing that this photo appears to give the world a James T. Kirk so young that he still has a bad case of acne. ...  :P

No, that's just injuries from having been in a fight earlier.

I saw the movie last night. I'm a pretty big fan of ST, but only the original series. I thought the movie was pretty good, though I couldn't follow parts of the plot, and there was at least one too many scenes of James T. Kirk hanging over a precipice. But they did a good job of casting plausible younger versions, of matching the backstory up with the regular story, and of faintly echoing the series here and there without belaboring it. And I loved seeing Leonard Nimoy. Next installment, I want William Shatner!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 01:16:59 pm »
No, that's just injuries from having been in a fight earlier.

Whew! That's a relief to know!

Chris Pine comes from good acting stock, but based on the photo of him in this morning's paper, I'm afraid he's one of those actors I'll never be able to take too seriously because he's just so improbably handsome.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 11:19:15 am »

Whew! That's a relief to know!
Chris Pine comes from good acting stock, but based on the photo of him in this morning's paper, I'm afraid he's one of those actors I'll never be able to take too seriously because he's just so improbably handsome.  :-\

;D
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 12:27:33 pm »
Sorry, John, but I don't get it. Are you suggesting that Chris Pine resembles the Arrow Shirt Man? Or that he appeals to comfort-loving manly men?  ???  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 01:15:03 pm »
I liked the new Star Trek movie, but I think they should have got Betty White to play Spock's mother.  ;)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 01:24:54 pm »
I liked the new Star Trek movie, but I think they should have got Betty White to play Spock's mother.  ;)

Rose Nyland or Sue Anne Nivens?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 01:33:00 pm »

"Why didn't I think of that?!"

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 05:46:57 pm »
STAR TREK was a bit darker then I was hoping it to be. The director said he wanted to set a more optimistic tone for the last year of the decade as compared with THE DARK KNIGHT, i.e. the self described zeitgeist film of a dark decade.  I though this STAR TREK had some pretty heavy casualty counts.  It's got the (potential) new franchise off to an ominous start.   I guess it's going to be a tangent Star Trek universe.   A more optimistic view of humanity?  I don't know about that.

Of course, other scienc fiction action films has some 9/11 reference point. The post pandemic apocalypse I AM LEGEND (set in NYC) was quite popular  The recent remake of WAR OF THE WORLDS had "Is it the terrorist?" angle as well.  :-\

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 08:53:15 am »

Sorry, John, but I don't get it. Are you suggesting that Chris Pine resembles the Arrow Shirt Man? Or that he appeals to comfort-loving manly men?  ???  ;D

It was your comment ("improbably handsome") that did it!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!