Author Topic: The New Star Trek Movie  (Read 39748 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The New Star Trek Movie
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2009, 10:32:25 pm »
My daughter insisted that I go see this movie. She is completely over the moon about Zachary Quinto as Spock, and I'm wondering (with apologies to our TOTW crew) what's the attraction?

I think he's kinda hot, in a slightly dangerous-looking way. FWIW.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2009, 10:51:08 pm »
:o

I would have given my right arm to dance with Spock at that time.  ;D

Not me. My right ear, maybe.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2009, 10:56:05 pm »
I think he's kinda hot, in a slightly dangerous-looking way. FWIW.  ;D

Oh, I agree.

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2009, 09:32:03 pm »
Big SF buff here and closet trekkie. I thought it was a good reboot of the ST franchise. Perhaps a few too many contrivances but still a decent SF adventure film. Loved the new villain introduced of Nero,  and thought his ship design was novel and refreshing. I don't know if thought provoking, allegorical SF will play anymore in Peoria. The original was from a different era and I don't think that level of literacy exists in todays America.

Nonetheless, there is nothing wrong with a SF  adventure romp, and us geeks love them. I gotta say some of the plot holes are big enough to fly a Klingon (Romulan?) Bird of Prey through. They made the interior of the Enterprise like a working scow in some shots with unpainted railings of iron? And I don't understand all the water pipes in the engine room. Aren't starships powered by anti-matter and dilithium,  not steam?

Some of the new characters are dead ringers for the originals. Perfect Dr McCoy, (they tossed in the origin of the "bones' nickname, cool.) Good Scotty, and Sulu, decent Uhuru. Totally miscast Chekov though with impossible accent.

One last thing, does Chris Pine fill out a pair of briefs or what? Hot!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2009, 04:42:42 pm »
Just saw it and quite enjoyed it even though I'm not a big fan of the franchise.  I love the alternate reality premise and I thought the casting was excellent.  Zachary Quinto does an amazing job as Spock and Chris Pine is bang on as Kirk, because I hate him already.  ;)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2009, 10:28:56 pm »
Just saw it and quite enjoyed it even though I'm not a big fan of the franchise.  I love the alternate reality premise and I thought the casting was excellent.  Zachary Quinto does an amazing job as Spock and Chris Pine is bang on as Kirk, because I hate him already.  ;)

I'm glad you saw it at last, Gil.  That reminds me, I want to go back again and see it at the good IMAX at Lincoln Center.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2009, 10:41:56 pm »
One last thing, does Chris Pine fill out a pair of briefs or what? Hot!

Heh. I haven't the slightest interest in the film, but there is now a 3x5 of Chris Pine hanging on my refrigerator. ...  ;D

Unfortunately not in his underwear. ...  :-\

Or out of his underwear. ...  :-\

(It's just a head shot.)

(No, not that head.  ;D )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2009, 11:05:57 pm »
My review:

Lots of fun.  Lots of injokes and references for Trekkers.  The last time we will probably hear Majel Barrett Roddenberry's voice as the computer.  :(  Cute to know Uhura's first name.

Very cartoon-y comic-book-y and over-the-top.  The bad guy's story is teeeny tiny (and only important in one crucial aspect which explains how all future Star Trek movies are going to deviate from the canon) in the middle of all the strum and drang.

The producers have a lot of story to tell in a short amount of time, so everything happens extremely fast - so fast, you're going "yeah right".

Anyway, lots of fun.  You see how everything is set up for a sequel.  But not epic by a long shot and yes, they lost the heart of Star Trek - there is no "moral to the story" as were all the Star Treks before.  J.J. Abrams sold out Star Trek in favor of fast ships, young beautiful people and cool special effects.  :P

Offline oilgun

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2009, 03:56:55 am »
I'm glad you saw it at last, Gil.  That reminds me, I want to go back again and see it at the good IMAX at Lincoln Center.  8)

One thing that did grate on my nerves a lot was the relentless score, I hated it!  Well, up until the very end when the familiar theme is played.

Offline ZK

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2009, 07:24:37 am »
I've seen it twice now and loved it. Am contemplating seeing it a third time rather than wait for the DVD and see it on a small screen. I would love to see it in an IMAX theatre!!