Author Topic: First Mate's Log  (Read 21628 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: First Mate's Log
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 08:07:30 pm »
More!  More!

I'd love to do a cruise like that - will never be able to afford it though.

Don't feel bad about your hermit-ishness.  That's who you are.  Why would you beat yourself up about doing what you like?

Yes, it's lovely to meet new people, talk and flirt and party, but IMO as I get older, I find the conversation of drunks less amusing, the groping from people you don't find attractive annoying and the just absolutely nothing but excruciating polite chit chat an enormous waste of time when the people you're speaking with don't share the same interests.  So there's a downside that you probably don't mind missing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 08:09:49 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2006, 10:01:40 am »
So there's a downside that you probably don't mind missing.

You're right: thanks for the reminder.  It's easy to forget that the reality of a thing is often less pleasant than the dream of it.

I should apply your reminder to the envy I felt about the long term couples I met on board.  One pair had been together 8 years and were only in their early 30's.  They seemed so comfortable with each other....  no drama.  Same for the Buff Twins.  But perhaps what I saw was The Couple On Vacation, and I have no clue about the reality of their daily life back home.

I remember thinking how wonderful it was that the younger generation of gay men didn't have to deal with as much internalized homophobia as we did 30 years ago; I envied this more than the fact that they were in a relationship. I was also wondering if they realized my generation was in part responsible for their better situation.  Not that I was expecting a "thank you" personally or even to all earlier generations... just if they were aware of it.

Then I realized that 30 years ago, I was better off than the generation before me ...  and didn't think about that back then, either.  I guess this is true of every generation:  when we're young, we don't appreciate those who came before us.

I guess I'm wandering off on a tangent here.  My next Log Update will come late this afternoon.
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 01:49:32 pm »
I should apply your reminder to the envy I felt about the long term couples I met on board.  One pair had been together 8 years and were only in their early 30's.  They seemed so comfortable with each other....  no drama.  Same for the Buff Twins.  But perhaps what I saw was The Couple On Vacation, and I have no clue about the reality of their daily life back home.

Absolutely.  Think Jen and Brad on their last vacation.  Lovely-dovey, close, affectionate, walking arms around each other on romantic beaches..and they would be separated and Brad run off with another woman' in less than 3 months.

I remember thinking how wonderful it was that the younger generation of gay men didn't have to deal with as much internalized homophobia as we did 30 years ago; I envied this more than the fact that they were in a relationship. I was also wondering if they realized my generation was in part responsible for their better situation.  Not that I was expecting a "thank you" personally or even to all earlier generations... just if they were aware of it.

Then I realized that 30 years ago, I was better off than the generation before me ...  and didn't think about that back then, either.  I guess this is true of every generation:  when we're young, we don't appreciate those who came before us.

Agree, it's quite normal.  In the woman's movement it's sad that younger women today consider 'feminist' a dirty word and one they wouldn't consider using when describing themselves to their potential beaus lest they 'turn him off' with its connotations of being a fat, hairy-legged, man-hater.

Yet feminists are exactly who worked hard and put up with a great deal to allow the current generation to live the more emancipated lives they are living now. [shakes head].  I, too, wish they'd appreciate it, some do, but most don't even think about it and don't want to.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2006, 07:46:51 pm »
Last day, Saturday:

After anchoring off shore of Sorrento overnight, we took a quick hop to Capri, an island just a bit further offshore the coast of Italy.  It took less than an hour to reposition the boat, and I went ashore about 10 a.m.

Capri is a tourist trap and jet-set stop, so it was quite crowded and chock-full of upscale shops: Ferragamo, Hermes, and the like.  There's not much on waterfront, but you take a funicula (sp?) up to the main town, another charming warren of tiny pathways going off in all directions.

I stopped in a bookshop because I had finished both novels I had brought with me.  It reminded me of the bookstores in Paris: the Europeans read true literature rather than the trashy page-turners we prefer in the states (usually about serial killers or espionage).  Very little lurid cover art like we find in our local Borders.

Had an Italian iced coffee in a cafe in the charming main plaza before returning to the ship.  Had lunch, took a quick dip, and napped.  [Edit: added a pic of the plaza below]

Remember my desire to get out to the bow sprit?  This was our last day on board, and I was starting to worry that I'd never get the chance to ask the captain for permission (I was kinda lookin' forward to getting on my knees in front of him to beg if I had to!).

But while I was having my after-nap coffee, the Captain came on the P.A. system to announce that he had decided to do something against the rules:  he would allow our group out to the bow sprit between the hours of 3 and 5p, in groups of 5 and accompanied by his first mate. 

So my wish was granted.  I waited til about 4 then went to the front of the ship, which was perfect timing: I got to go out by myself (and the first mate, a cute young Scot).  The railings around bow sprits are angled outwards for some reason, and this allows you to lean on them hanging out over the water, and you can't see any sign of the ship up, down, left or right of you.  It really does feel like you're flying high over the water.  I spread my arms and shouted the requisite "I'm queen of the world!"  I had about 15 minutes out there by myself.

I profusely thanked the Captain afterwards and told him it had been a dream of mine to do that.  He said he hadn't allowed it for over a year, but he was so happy with our group that all he needed was the right conditions, calm seas during the daytime with not too strong a wind.

During the cocktail hour, Travelpride had the last tea-dance with open bar and took a group photo by the pool.  I stood next to the French magician who I had a crush on, and had my arm around his waist.  Such a thrill.

The late-night entertainment on Saturday, the last day of the cruise, was a short encore by Miss Coco Peru, then the French magician's stage act, then a gay stand-up comic.  Coco told the story of her recent marriage in Spain to this Spanish hunk (and I mean hunk, I had seen pictures).  Her bit was funny and touching.... and true.  She really did marry him just a few weeks prior.

The magician's act combined magic with dance, pretty amazing.

After the show I met her to take the picture she had promised me earlier.  I received it yesterday and (with DavidinHartford's help), here it is!

I asked permission to post this and the picture taken of us after I had given him the Ariel pendant.  His manager told me that they preferred that I didn't post any pictures of him out of drag, so I'm keep that one as my private little treasure.

While we were sleeping, the ship made the journey to the port outside Rome, and the next day we were up early to depart for the hour-long bus ride there.  I was not ready to leave the ship, I felt like throwing a tantrum and make them carry me off kicking and screaming.   :-\  A week later and I'm still falling asleep by  walking around the ship in my mind.  I miss it, viscerally!

I went to a hotel to spend a couple days in Rome, but I won't be adding that experience here, basically because I  didn't like Rome much (sorry to Luigi and all my Italian friends).  So that's the end of my report. 

Again, sorry I wasn't able to keep this up while still on board.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 06:54:18 pm by Impish »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 10:39:34 pm »
Thank you, Impish, for such a wonderful account of your cruise!  I'm glad I happened upon this thread.  I've always wanted to take a Mediterranean cruise, and now I'm more determined than ever to do it.  It sounds so idyllic.

I enjoyed your personal reflections as much as your account of the trip itself.  I hope you're able to post some pictures, especially of the Twins and Miss Coco Peru.  8)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 10:51:09 pm by meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2006, 10:46:38 pm »
I especially loved the part about "While we were sleeping..."  :D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2006, 02:46:12 am »
Just want to echo (somewhat) what Meryl said - Thanks for giving us your thoughts as well as your account of your day by day experience on board a (gay) cruise. Glad to have been able to live, vicariously, your trip.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline David

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2006, 08:25:30 am »
WOW!   Great report!

Now i really want to go on a cruise!

D-i-H~

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2006, 10:04:25 am »
Got the pic up: thanks David!  I'll next try to add some pics from the DVD, if I can figure out how to capture the images.

A couple of notes for those of you considering a gay cruise, as I hope you will:  the organizing company, Travelpride, did an absolutely top-notch job, and I can't praise them enough.  There are many businesses that organize gay cruises, and I'm sure there are some that are as good, but I want to warn you, some are really bad.

Some of them get you on board and then leave it to the cruise line to handle everything from there on in.  Travelpride brings its own crew on board, throws theme parties, decorates the ship, and books the entertainment.  Remember how much the Captain loved our group, and did special things for us?  That was because of Travelpride. Here's their homepage:  http://www.travelpride.com/published/index.html

There's another company with a specially bad rep: they claim it will be an all-gay cruise, then if they don't sell out, book  straight people on it, who get a discount. Neither group is informed about the other until they get on board.  This sets up enmity between them, as the straight people are certain to include some homophobes, and gay people feel like they're being asked to go back in the closet for the duration of the cruise.  This company has done this more than once, as I heard from several of my fellow passengers.  I'm not sure what legal risk I'd be taking by posting the name of the company here, so I won't.  If you are seriously looking for a gay cruise, PM me and I'll tell you which one to avoid.

But I really do encourage everyone to consider a cruise --gay or straight -- for a future vacation.  They're not right for everybody, but there are people that would love it but will never  go because they  tell themselves it's impossible for them.  It's not.  If you want to do it, set a goal and start working toward it.  You won't regret it, I promise.  (I'm talkin' to you Dellaluvia!)

Travelpride is doing a cruise of the Mexican Riviera this coming February, and it's on a similar Windstar ship.....
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 12:25:02 pm by Impish »

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Buff Twins
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2006, 12:28:22 pm »
I added some pics in the posts themselves, so you'll have to go back to page 1 to see them.

Have to run now, but will add more later today.  By request, here's two pics of the Buff Twins.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 05:01:12 pm by Impish »