Author Topic: First Mate's Log  (Read 21625 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: First Mate's Log
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2006, 09:44:03 am »

I think I'll just keep saving up for my sister and I's trip to Paris.  I don't particularly want to go, I would rather save up and do a tour of Italy, but it's my sister's dream to see Paris and after her cancer and diabetes diagnoses, and how happy she looks when we talk about the trip, I don't have the heart to say 'Eh, I'd rather not go."

You're right in supporting your sister in this, and I predict that once there, you will fall in love with Paris and return home feeling glad you went.  Paris has an infectious charm to it that's hard to resist!   :D
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2006, 07:15:46 pm »
You're right in supporting your sister in this, and I predict that once there, you will fall in love with Paris and return home feeling glad you went.  Paris has an infectious charm to it that's hard to resist!   :D

I hope so, but I'm having a hard time getting up the enthusiasm.  While I see myself doing the touristy things, I'm not really in step:

France is famous for its vineyards, wines and champagnes - I hardly drink anymore.  Don't really like the taste of alcohol.
France is famous for its cheeses - I'm lactose intolerant and don't like nor eat cheese much.
France is famous for its breads/bakeries/side walk cafes where you can sit and drink coffee, eat pastries and watch the crowds go by - I've a gluten intolerance, and have to watch my blood sugar, so I don't eat pastries and I don't like coffee.

:P

That kind of thing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 07:17:36 pm by delalluvia »

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2006, 09:02:57 pm »
Oops, sorry again silk.

It was all taken in fun - no 'oops' necessary.  I do love cruising tho - if you ever do decide to do Alaska - I live in Seattle & we could go to Starbucks! 
I don't like coffee.
  ;D  Oops.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2006, 09:59:18 am »
I hope so, but I'm having a hard time getting up the enthusiasm.  While I see myself doing the touristy things, I'm not really in step:

France is famous for its vineyards, wines and champagnes - I hardly drink anymore.  Don't really like the taste of alcohol.
France is famous for its cheeses - I'm lactose intolerant and don't like nor eat cheese much.
France is famous for its breads/bakeries/side walk cafes where you can sit and drink coffee, eat pastries and watch the crowds go by - I've a gluten intolerance, and have to watch my blood sugar, so I don't eat pastries and I don't like coffee.

:P

That kind of thing.

France is also famous for its good food, and if any country will have something you will like -- and can tolerate -- it will be France.

Please forgive my frankness, but you seem determined to hate the trip before you even get there.  Tell me those things you do like, and I may be able to guide you on finding them in France.

For example, you mentioned wanting to see the countryside in Italy (and Tuscany is beautiful): France also has wonderful drives through the country.  Everything from palm trees in the tropical south (Provence), to Hansel & Gretel gingerbread houses in the east (Strasbourg and environs), rolling verdant hills with storybook castles (Loire valley); forests; mountains; beaches.

Perhaps you could negotiate with your sister to rent a car (or take a bullet train) for an adventure away from Paris...  something that you'll be able to look forward to, whatever it is. 

It's important to find that something before you go, because if you're full of resentment during the trip, neither you nor your sister will be able to enjoy yourselves.  That's no way to spend your money or your time, and it would probably be better that you don't go after all. 

There's a danger that your relationship with your sister would sour...  and I'm guessin' that's the most important thing to you.  Your willingness to take this trip with her shows your love for her, and nothing's worth putting your relationship at risk.

Please understand: I'm not saying you should cancel.  I'm saying to first try to find something to stoke your enthusiasm about the trip.  Only if you're sure you won't enjoy yourself should you consider whether to go at all.

Please re-read this enough times to see my sincerity....  and concern.

Impish

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2006, 12:48:34 pm »
France is also famous for its good food, and if any country will have something you will like -- and can tolerate -- it will be France.

*sigh*  Sad isn't it?  That I have to watch everything I eat even in countries known for their cuisine?  I have a lot of food intolerances.  A lot.  They're a lot harder to avoid than you'd think.  For an example, I have a gluten intolerance.  So no grain products.  So that means not only avoiding breads, oatmeal and breakfast cereals, it also means avoiding anything that has flour in it.  That means sauces and gravies as well.  Anything that might have used flour as a thickner.  Anything that is breaded/stuffed/topped with a crust.  While I was in Britain, I had to very carefully watch everything I ate.  I had no choice with my meals on the plane ride over and a day after my arrival promptly embarassed myself when finally meeting my London friend and in the middle of his impromptu tour of Trafalgar Square, had to beg him to find me a bathroom - twice.   

Please forgive my frankness, but you seem determined to hate the trip before you even get there.  Tell me those things you do like, and I may be able to guide you on finding them in France.

No, I'm not ready to hate it at all.  I love to travel.  I'm just not particularly interested in Paris or France,  I don't mind seeing it, it's just not in my top 10 to go to.  I'd rather see Italy, Greece, Crete, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, the Galapagoes first.  But due to my limited budget and lifestyle, I can only choose one or two more destinations at the most in this lifetime. 

For example, you mentioned wanting to see the countryside in Italy (and Tuscany is beautiful): France also has wonderful drives through the country.

Perhaps you could negotiate with your sister to rent a car (or take a bullet train) for an adventure away from Paris...  something that you'll be able to look forward to, whatever it is.

Since I do all our planning, we've already definitely brought up a trip through the countryside by train that ends at the Mediterranean.  Just to see the coast and countryside.  LOL.  We agreed we can't afford to stay once we get there and will have to just turn around and come right back, but we think it's worth it. 

It's important to find that something before you go, because if you're full of resentment during the trip, neither you nor your sister will be able to enjoy yourselves.  That's no way to spend your money or your time, and it would probably be better that you don't go after all.

Heh.  Don't worry.  My sister felt my resentment very much in our London trip last year.  I love England.  It was my dream to go there.  For a year in our planning and saving, I kept after my sister to exercise, walk.  London was a walking town.  She is morbidly obese - hence her recent diabetes diagnosis - and I warned her that she would be exhausted if she didn't.  She agreed and reassured me throughout the year that she was doing so.

She didn't.

Our first day touring she nearly twisted her ankle.  She had no strength in her ankles, which she would have had she been exercising.  Instead, she almost seriously injured herself in a town that is not friendly toward wheelchairs.  As a result, she was tired, dragging, hurting, complaining the entire two weeks, wanting to cut our touring short during the day so she could rest.  I finally snapped and said she could go back to the hotel and rest, but I hadn't flown 3000 miles to sit in a cheap hotel room all day and would see her later.

She grudgingly kept on going.  I was both proud of her for sucking it up and determined not to let her ruin my trip.  And I didn't.

It's a family joke now since she also nearly twisted her ankle on a trip to Mexico City with my father, yes, while touring the Pyramids.

I jokingly threaten that when we go to Paris, before we even leave the airport, we're going to stop in a bathroom and wrap her ankles in Ace bandages.

I'm saying to first try to find something to stoke your enthusiasm about the trip.  Only if you're sure you won't enjoy yourself should you consider whether to go at all.

Please re-read this enough times to see my sincerity....  and concern.

Don't worry, Impy.  I won't sulk during our trip.  I do find things to enjoy anywhere I go, whether it's a truck pull or a trip to a faraway city.  A dear friend of mine instilled that in me.  He too was often around grumps who didn't want to be where they were and gave off sufficient negativity to ruin things for others.  He gathered the attitude that no matter their attitude he was going to have a good time.  And I will.  France is not high on my list, but it is on it, so I can look forward to the Louvre, the catacombs, Notre Dame, the Eiffle Tower etc.

I'm reading up on the French language so I can know left from right, up from down and north from south.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 12:51:51 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2006, 07:02:22 pm »
Thanks....  you've put my mind at ease.

When are you planning this trip to France?

Imp

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2006, 07:49:43 pm »
Thanks....  you've put my mind at ease.

When are you planning this trip to France?

Imp

Well, it was scheduled for spring of 2007, but due to job issues (I lost my overtime which helped a lot in saving money because business has slowed tremendously), so now we've pushed it to the fall of 2007.  My sister has a cop-friend who lives in Paris who says there is a lot more going on in Paris in the fall than in the spring anyway.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2006, 11:04:14 am »
I see.  Avoid August at all costs, because the entire country is on a mandatory 4-week vacation (excepting hotel staff and other necessary services).

I'm already jealous!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2006, 12:56:46 pm »
I see.  Avoid August at all costs, because the entire country is on a mandatory 4-week vacation (excepting hotel staff and other necessary services).

I'm already jealous!

OK, thanks for the tip.  We're edging toward September.  Just at the end of summer, but not too far into the colder weather of true fall.  I suppose the weather is similar to England's?

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2006, 07:06:38 pm »
OK, thanks for the tip.  We're edging toward September.  Just at the end of summer, but not too far into the colder weather of true fall.  I suppose the weather is similar to England's?

A bit drier in Paris, I would think.  Mid- to late-September or early October would be beautiful there.