Author Topic: Little Ashes: new film about early, gay love affairs of Salvador Dali  (Read 26412 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Little Ashes: new film about early, gay love affairs of Salvador Dali
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2009, 04:38:07 pm »
Well, since the two people who were supposed to have seen it in NYC never gave a report, I decided to see the film for myself.  My expectations were pretty low because of lukewarm reviews so that might explain why I enjoyed it so much! 

The acting was quite good although the story tends to plod along at times and is a bit disjointed.  Pattinson was suitably erratic and insane looking as Dalí but the standout has to be Javier Beltrán as Lorca, the main character.  Also excellent is McNulty as the initially homophobic Buñuel.  Can someone make a biopic of Alain Delon immediately, because McNulty is the French actor's double from his Purple Noon period, the physical resemblance and similarity of mannerism were uncanny at times.

There is an almost high-camp "water ballet" scene that just skirts silliness but instead is actually moving.  The relationship is never consummated from what I can gather but there is some kissing and lots of passionate looks.  A kind of Spanish Brideshead Revisited that is definitely worth at least a rental.

Mathew McNulty as Buñuel

Alain Delon as the sexiest man alive.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 07:12:57 pm by oilgun »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2009, 05:16:45 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it, Gil!  And yes, that certainly is a strong resemblance between those two actors.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2009, 07:40:44 pm »
I was one of those people who saw it early in NYC, and one reason that I haven't commented is that (contrary to my normal self) I really didn't quite know what to say!

I honestly can't say I thought it was a good film, - it took too many scenes over the edge to the exaggerated and truly campy. My personal jury is still out on how intentional that was - whether it was an attempt to mirror Dali's larger-than-life art and personal story in some way.

Some of the photography was lovely - landscapes, interiors, beautful human forms.

And on the shallow side, both the two leads are incredibly handsome guys, so on that level it was very well worth watching. And being a slash fanfic reader, I must say that this film should be seen by anyone seeking to understand what the fanfic term UST (=unresolved sexual tension) is all about. The story is simply brimming and overflowing with UST from the beginning till the end, and pretty much defines the term visually from A to Z.

I thought Robert Pattisnon was in over his head, though I imagine portraying Salvador Dali would be a big challenge for any actor around. Javier Beltran did a very good job portraying Lorca. Though I felt a certain disconnect between the Lorca this film was showing me and the man who wrote the stark harsh plays of his I'm familiar with.

I felt really bad for the women in the story and what they experienced, - more so because they were reduced to mere extras and props most of the time.

Most of all, I thought the idea to have everyone speak English with a strong Spanish accent was a horrible, nearly inexcusable decision of the director's. It made the dialogue very difficult to understand, and it made much of the film come across as a complete though unintentional parody of "those intense, eye-rollingly passionate Spanish artists".

Offline oilgun

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 06:46:16 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it, Gil!  And yes, that certainly is a strong resemblance between those two actors.  8)

So it's not just me then?  I couldn't get over the resemblance, it was actually distracting, but in a good way, like a new discovery or something.  I'm completely in love with him now of course (Heath won't mind, it's been a year)  Actually it's between McNulty and Sam Worthington (from Perth. I know!).

Offline oilgun

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 06:53:53 pm »
I was one of those people who saw it early in NYC, and one reason that I haven't commented is that (contrary to my normal self) I really didn't quite know what to say!

I honestly can't say I thought it was a good film, - it took too many scenes over the edge to the exaggerated and truly campy. My personal jury is still out on how intentional that was - whether it was an attempt to mirror Dali's larger-than-life art and personal story in some way.

Some of the photography was lovely - landscapes, interiors, beautful human forms.

And on the shallow side, both the two leads are incredibly handsome guys, so on that level it was very well worth watching. And being a slash fanfic reader, I must say that this film should be seen by anyone seeking to understand what the fanfic term UST (=unresolved sexual tension) is all about. The story is simply brimming and overflowing with UST from the beginning till the end, and pretty much defines the term visually from A to Z.

I thought Robert Pattisnon was in over his head, though I imagine portraying Salvador Dali would be a big challenge for any actor around. Javier Beltran did a very good job portraying Lorca. Though I felt a certain disconnect between the Lorca this film was showing me and the man who wrote the stark harsh plays of his I'm familiar with.

I felt really bad for the women in the story and what they experienced, - more so because they were reduced to mere extras and props most of the time.

Most of all, I thought the idea to have everyone speak English with a strong Spanish accent was a horrible, nearly inexcusable decision of the director's. It made the dialogue very difficult to understand, and it made much of the film come across as a complete though unintentional parody of "those intense, eye-rollingly passionate Spanish artists".

Well, for someone who didn't know what to say you sure said a lot!  ;)

I'm with you about the campiness and whether it  was intentional or not, but you know, for some reason I just enjoyed it from start to finish.  I think it was the acting that won me over, they all seemed so committed that I couldn't help but be seduced.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2009, 07:01:43 pm »
LOL! I didn't know what to say.... but that was then, this is now!  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2009, 07:21:09 pm »
What a coincidence! I just came from the most hip DVD rental store I could find where I asked to rent a copy of Little Ashes. They laffed and told me it's starting the 19th at the Mayan Theater.

Anyone here ever read the novel authored by Salvador Dali??

Gil, please come over and join the Alain Delon fan club on Facebook!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2009, 08:52:49 am »
What a coincidence! I just came from the most hip DVD rental store I could find where I asked to rent a copy of Little Ashes. They laffed and told me it's starting the 19th at the Mayan Theater.

Anyone here ever read the novel authored by Salvador Dali??

Gil, please come over and join the Alain Delon fan club on Facebook!!

I'm so there!  :D  (I haven't been on Facebook in so long!)

EDIT:   Which Alain Delon Facebook group should I join?  There are several, I joined the largest one, it has over 8 thousand members.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:24:31 am by oilgun »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 08:56:55 am »

Wow!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 01:55:20 pm »