Author Topic: Mon jardin 2009  (Read 121195 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Mon jardin 2009
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2009, 12:30:10 am »
dang...I dont' have any pics of ...wait a minute..I do!!

did you see MY tomato plants??

Yes I remember. You said you put them under 6 pages of newsprint. (and you worried about your 'privacy' by taking pictures of your car keys  :P

Were yours from seed? Bryan's grew heritage tomatoes from seed last year. This is my first attemp at growing from seed. And there could be a variety of tomato types in this bunch.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2009, 12:32:06 am »
Yes I remember. You said you put them under 6 pages of newsprint. (and you worried about your 'privacy' by taking pictures of your car keys  :P

Were yours from seed? Bryan's grew heritage tomatoes from seed last year. This is my first attemp at growing from seed. And there could be a variety of tomato types in this bunch.

no, I am seed challenged...I get to the stage yours are at and then they die.. :P

so all mine are transplants. I have taken pics since then...when I put the decoy apples out...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2009, 12:33:22 am »
:o :o

now THAT is a stand of irises!!!

Maybe I'll need to divide them again this year ... This is only the second year that they've been placed in the second row.
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2009, 12:46:44 am »
And here's another 'grand' view of the effect the 'buttons' can have on a flowerbed.

This picture is of the flowerbed right behind the house.

injest

« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2009, 12:55:07 am »
And here's another 'grand' view of the effect the 'buttons' can have on a flowerbed.

This picture is of the flowerbed right behind the house.

it is fun how you have flowers that all grow the same size, making a uniform blanket of flowers..then you have these that just grow any height!

makes the garden more visually interesting to me..amazing variety for the size of your yard!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2009, 05:59:19 am »
the Dbl Blm Colombine are beginning to blossom. One variety (the one I like calling 'albino') caught the attention of a visiting lady yesterday. Unfortunately, it's growing in a crack in the pavement so there's no way I can pot it up.

The pictures didn't turn out for that one, but the pink ones came out just fine ...

injest

« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2009, 07:26:27 am »
oh my god...he even has flowers growing in the CRACKS of the pavement!!

Offline Zander

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No reins on me.
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2009, 07:35:11 am »
Yes Aquilegia / Columbine like to grow in gravelly soil, indeed the best way to get the seed to germinate is first rub it gentle between two sheets of fine sandpaper.  This creates little grooves in the casing making it it easier for it to absorb water and germinate.  This is why you often find it in cracks, it's the rubbing of the seed case - taught to me by my grandfather xx years ago.

injest

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2009, 07:44:42 am »
Yes Aquilegia / Columbine like to grow in gravelly soil, indeed the best way to get the seed to germinate is first rub it gentle between two sheets of fine sandpaper.  This creates little grooves in the casing making it it easier for it to absorb water and germinate.  This is why you often find it in cracks, it's the rubbing of the seed case - taught to me by my grandfather xx years ago.

do you have a garden, Zander? Sounds like you know your stuff!

Offline Zander

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No reins on me.
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2009, 12:18:23 pm »
Oh yes I have a small garden but never enough time (never enough!) you know how it is.  I also hate the hard work involved ;D but I love the results.