Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 136461 times)

injest

Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #200 on: May 02, 2009, 04:21:59 pm »
Some people get very angry at bigots.  You can't keep people from being angry and lashing out at them verbally.

nope and there is nothing you can do about the people wanting to respond back  to that...

and around we go....

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2009, 04:44:18 pm »
nope and there is nothing you can do about the people wanting to respond back  to that...

and around we go....

Yep.  Very few bigots want to give up their beliefs and understand what they're actually saying, especially if that bigotry is based in the religion they were raised with.  So while IMO they're trying to defend an untenable position, they will still try to do it and, I guess, hope that other people will be hesitant to criticize believing that someone's religious belief is some sort of sacred cow no one should criticize.

injest

« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2009, 05:02:33 pm »
Yep.  Very few bigots want to give up their beliefs and understand what they're actually saying, especially if that bigotry is based in the religion they were raised with.  So while IMO they're trying to defend an untenable position, they will still try to do it and, I guess, hope that other people will be hesitant to criticize believing that someone's religious belief is some sort of sacred cow no one should criticize.

yep. very few bigots want to give up their beliefs and understand what they're actually saying, especially if  that bigotry is based on the victimhood they have been taught all their lifes. So while IMO they're trying to defend an untenable position, they will still try to do it and, I guess, hope that other people will be hesitant to criticize believing that someone's political correct worldview is some sort of sacred cow no one should criticize

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #203 on: May 02, 2009, 05:26:12 pm »
yep. very few bigots want to give up their beliefs and understand what they're actually saying, especially if  that bigotry is based on the victimhood they have been taught all their lifes. So while IMO they're trying to defend an untenable position, they will still try to do it and, I guess, hope that other people will be hesitant to criticize believing that someone's political correct worldview is some sort of sacred cow no one should criticize

Religion is a powerful thing.  Questioning it in the past brought with it severe penalties including ostracism and death.  Many today accept what their religion preaches without questioning it.  After all, it's supposed to be coming from God.

I'm not sure if I would ever have questioned religion if I hadn't heard powerful people in the church saying things about me that I knew were not true.  It made me start wondering how much of what else they were saying wasn't true either.

injest

« Reply #204 on: May 02, 2009, 08:09:26 pm »
Religion is a powerful thing.  Questioning it in the past brought with it severe penalties including ostracism and death.  Many today accept what their religion preaches without questioning it.  After all, it's supposed to be coming from God.

I'm not sure if I would ever have questioned religion if I hadn't heard powerful people in the church saying things about me that I knew were not true.  It made me start wondering how much of what else they were saying wasn't true either.

well if you want to talk religion I think we would need to start a new thread.. but remember people are fallible. Just because someone claims to be a man of God doesnt mean he has all the answers. We were given brains to reason out things for ourselves.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #205 on: May 02, 2009, 09:03:46 pm »
I consider someone trying to deny me rights an attack.

Being pleasant and cheerful about it seems to me just that much more cavalier and cold blooded.  If I'm stabbed in the back, it doesn't make it any more pleasant if it's done with a smile.  In some ways it makes it that much more heinous.

there is also the problem that the Miss California Pageant is now tainted with the extremely controversial and right-wing anti-gay-marriage group.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2009, 09:06:53 pm »
So, do you suggest that every contestant has to have the exact same opinion on all subjects? I guess they could go through a vetting process. Then they could be even more cookie cutter cute than they already are.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2009, 09:10:53 pm »
So, do you suggest that every contestant has to have the exact same opinion on all subjects? I guess they could go through a vetting process. Then they could be even more cookie cutter cute than they already are.

me?  I have nothing to do with the standards of the pageant people and the contracts they make with their contestants.  Becoming an extremist spokesperson, however, may possibly be on their "don't's list".  Beauty queens have been stripped of their crowns before for unseemly behavior of many kinds.

Here's a list drawn up by Slate:

http://www.slate.com/id/1002887/

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

injest

« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2009, 09:18:34 pm »
me?  I have nothing to do with the standards of the pageant people and the contracts they make with their contestants. Becoming an extremist spokesperson, however, may possibly be on their "don't's list".  Beauty queens have been stripped of their crowns before for unseemly behavior of many kinds.

well considering that the majority of California voters chose to go with HER view, I am not sure how you can call HER the extremist...

or is that in the "Rules for Radicals"??

wait..no, that was in "1984"; call black white and demand everyone agree...the majority by definition can not be the extremists...

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #209 on: May 03, 2009, 12:53:06 pm »
well considering that the majority of California voters chose to go with HER view, I am not sure how you can call HER the extremist...

or is that in the "Rules for Radicals"??

wait..no, that was in "1984"; call black white and demand everyone agree...the majority by definition can not be the extremists...

Well, she is in the extreme along with majority of the voting population in California because - as was the South during the Civil War and possibly up to the recent times as well - that they believe some people don't deserve the same civil rights as everyone else.

People who believe that are in the extreme as far as American/Western thinking is concerned.  After all, people who don't believe women deserve civil rights, who still believe in slavery, are certainly thought of as extreme in their thinking throughout much of the Western world.

So you could say - as in another George Orwell story Animal Farm - that they believe some people are "more equal than others".

That's up to the sponsors, isn't it?  They want what they want - they're not running a democracy.  If they want to run a screening process on whether the Miss USA contestants actually uphold American values such as equality for all, I don't see why not.