Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 136566 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2009, 08:34:59 pm »
this isnt' about gay marriage, it is about being free to have your own opinion. It is about free speech.

and I have asked you before NOT to use my name. I have a screen name you may use. Thank you.

so, won't say?  I expected that.  You're all for putting down this that and the other "liberal agenda" for gaining rights and then condemning people for agitating for them.  This isn't about political correctness, as much as you would like to repaint it as a political correctness argument.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #221 on: May 03, 2009, 08:44:41 pm »
this isnt' about gay marriage, it is about being free to have your own opinion. It is about free speech.

I have no problem with her saying she is against gay marriage.

I have a problem with her using her celebrity to help others keep me from my civil rights, which is what she is doing with the anti-gay marriage video.

She may be pretty on the outside, but she's pretty damn ugly on the inside, and she can take her tiara and cram it up her ass.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #222 on: May 03, 2009, 08:58:47 pm »
The only person I have seen suggest that "liberty is a zero sum game" here is Jess.    So are you saying you are against equal marriage rights for gay couples, Brokeplex?  How about you, Jess?  Are you against equal marriage rights for gay couples?

And Injest, are you still in favor of burning witches at the stake, or did you reform?

I think that in a discussion between Injest, louisev, and myself, I am the person most likely to benefit from same sex marriage, so your question as it pertains to me is IMO a bit of a waste of both pixels and eye scan time.

Injest did not opine that "liberty is a zero sum game". I believe that very clearly I wrote that IMO it is a fundamental of political correctness that liberty is a zero sum game.

And IMO this fact about PC and its advocates is what makes the PC secular religion contrary and dangerous to the US Constitution.

I think that Janet "Reno" Napolitano would be better spending her valuable time investigating PC advocates rather than Tax Day protesters and returning veterans. But, then she would have to start her investigation with Eric Holder and then work on over to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #223 on: May 03, 2009, 09:08:47 pm »
This weekend we had Equality Forum here in Philadelphia, an international gathering devoted to GLBT civil rights.

(Not that I participated in any events. ...  ::) )

The occasion led our rector (who is openly gay) actually to preach about gay marriage in his sermon in church this morning. Totally changed my view about the necessity for the church to approve full marriage for gay and lesbian people and develop a liturgy for it: full inclusion of gay and lesbian people in the life of the church.

The rector put it in the same context in which I've been viewing civil marriage, and I have to admit I've never thought about it that way. The logic of my own view on civil rights virtually requires that I support the position that the church needs to do the same thing in its sphere as I feel must be done in the civil sphere--full inclusion.

FWIW. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #224 on: May 03, 2009, 09:11:58 pm »

I have no problem with her saying she is against gay marriage.

I have a problem with her using her celebrity to help others keep me from my civil rights, which is what she is doing with the anti-gay marriage video.

She may be pretty on the outside, but she's pretty damn ugly on the inside, and she can take her tiara and cram it up her ass.

well if Perez had your grace, she wouldn't be a celebrity and wouldn't be talked about.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2009, 09:22:08 pm »

I think that in a discussion between Injest, louisev, and myself, I am the person most likely to benefit from same sex marriage, so your question as it pertains to me is IMO a bit of a waste of both pixels and eye scan time.

you do really need to stop making bald assumptions that you understand the biography and know the sexual preference of everybody you discuss things with here Brokeplex.  And also the assumption that somehow there were only three parties to this discussion when there are more.  And it is a fair question - you appear to be arguing against the "PC crowd" who are agitating for the rights of GLBT to marry, so I am asking the clarifying question instead of descending into a maelstrom of meta.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2009, 09:22:53 pm »
well if Perez had your grace, she wouldn't be a celebrity and wouldn't be talked about.

I don't believe I have much grace, and let's be honest about this.  If "Perez" hadn't said someting, somoene else would have.

Gay marriage is a hot button issue, and she would've gotten a lot of press, whether or not Perez was involved.

She may be a bigot, but she's not stupid.....she knew that if she said her opionion, it would be unpopular, otherwise she woulnd't have thought to say "no offense"......you only say that when you know you're going to offend people.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #227 on: May 03, 2009, 09:25:51 pm »

I don't believe I have much grace, and let's be honest about this.  If "Perez" hadn't said someting, somoene else would have.

Gay marriage is a hot button issue, and she would've gotten a lot of press, whether or not Perez was involved.

She may be a bigot, but she's not stupid.....she knew that if she said her opionion, it would be unpopular, otherwise she woulnd't have thought to say "no offense"......you only say that when you know you're going to offend people.

Frankly, I think Miss CA with her brandy-new chicken cutlets was stunned that her anti-gay-marriage stance didn't push her over the top, because most of the members of the Americans for Opposite Marriage really think they are defending something and that the straights are desperately grateful to them for standing up for their rights to not have to watch gay people get married.

injest

« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2009, 09:35:05 pm »

no if Perez had controlled himself there would be no story. It is HIS promotion of his rant that started the entire thing. He lit the fire.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #229 on: May 03, 2009, 11:16:20 pm »
*sigh*  It doesn't matter if all the gay people want to be married or not.  What matters is that they are people who should have the choice whether they want to use it or not.

exactly.