Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 135223 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #230 on: May 04, 2009, 12:11:39 am »
I don't speak for Jess, but IMO the PC crowd is only tangentially concerned about equal treatment under the law for gays or anyone else for that matter. The secular religion called "Political Correctness" is primarily concerned with establishing and wielding power and control, esp over those whom they have identified as being Politically Incorrect. Some of the techniques the PC crowd uses are censorship and vilification of their targeted enemies, esp when it helps them fundraise in order to manipulate the electoral system.

IMO it is absurdly naive to judge the PC crowd by their stated goals of tolerance and inclusion - the stated goals of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union "sounded" on the whole to be admirable, and naive fools in the West were for a time conned into giving support for Marxism.

PC should to be judged only how it limits liberty and freedom of speech, how it treats individuals, and how it fosters the tyranny of the unelected bureaucracy where it has been implemented.

Well, I don't know how to answer you Bill because I don't know any people who are part of a "PC correct crowd" ( I believe this to be a fictitious group, much like the "gay conspiracy" group).  I only know people who are for civil rights for gay people and those who are against.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 08:11:08 am by delalluvia »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #231 on: May 04, 2009, 12:14:23 am »
but some people would feel that having the right to not be sold to be more pressing then the right to vote

???

and THOSE people have a right to their belief that voting isn't as important to them and the right to say so!

???

I've no idea what you mean.

Someone's civil rights are not  on an 'as needed' basis.  Either you have them or you don't.

injest

« Reply #232 on: May 04, 2009, 01:06:44 am »
so, won't say?  I expected that.  You're all for putting down this that and the other "liberal agenda" for gaining rights and then condemning people for agitating for them.  This isn't about political correctness, as much as you would like to repaint it as a political correctness argument.

well it isn't a 'civil rights' issue as much as you would like to repaint it as a such. Miss USA has no ability to prevent anyone from getting married. She is being attacked for having an opinion you do not like. THAT is political correctness. She has a right to her opinion. Perez has a right to HIS opinion..even YOU have a right to your opinion. where freedom comes in, is when none of us tries to tell another their opinion is wrong.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #233 on: May 04, 2009, 01:09:47 am »
I think by "it" you mean the civil right to marry?  I'd call it a civil right.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

injest

« Reply #234 on: May 04, 2009, 01:12:08 am »
no "IT" refers to the subject of the thread....Miss California's answer...which has very little to do with what civil rights anyone has.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #235 on: May 04, 2009, 01:18:44 am »
What I'd like to know is what gives HER and others like her the right to vote on something that affects me personally. They don't know me. They never will know me. Hell they probably don't even WANT to know me. And yet, for some reason these strangers think it is okay to take away refuse something to me that they all take for granted.

These people do not know me. How is my getting married to another man any threat to them whatsoever?

I'll tell you what. I'll start respecting their opinions about the "sanctity of marriage" when THEY stop getting all these divorces. How can they say things like this to us with a straight face when over 50 percent of them cannot manage their own marriages?

Sanctity of marriage my faggoty ASS! >:(

She may be entitled to HER opinion but I have a right to be upset by it.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #236 on: May 04, 2009, 01:22:10 am »
What I'd like to know is what gives HER and others like her the right to vote on something that affects me personally. They don't know me. They never will know me. Hell they probably don't even WANT to know me. And yet, for some reason these strangers think it is okay to take away refuse something to me that they all take for granted.

These people do not know me. How is my getting married to another man any threat to them whatsoever?

I'll tell you what. I'll start respecting their opinions about the "sanctity of marriage" when THEY stop getting all these divorces. How can they say things like this to us with a straight face when over 50 percent of them cannot manage their own marriages?

Sanctity of marriage my faggoty ASS! >:(

She may be entitled to HER opinion but I have a right to be upset by it.

yes you do.

I am not sure WHY we have to vote on gay marriage. we didnt' have to vote to get other civil rights passed (or maybe I just missed it?). Just seems like a strange situation to me.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #237 on: May 04, 2009, 01:23:15 am »
yes you do.

I am not sure WHY we have to vote on gay marriage. we didnt' have to vote to get other civil rights passed (or maybe I just missed it?). Just seems like a strange situation to me.

THANK YOU Jess! :-*

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

JudgeHolden

« Reply #238 on: May 04, 2009, 03:06:44 am »
Dang me, 25 pages and counting over the opinion of a blonde beauty pageant winner. I wonder if anyone here can name last years Miss California, or even the winner of whatever pageant it was. I come from a state where these things are a seruious business, and even back there, the only time it makes it off the inside pages next to the TV schedule is if one of them gets arrested or something.

So now the would-be Miss California is a household name, taylor-made spokeswoman for the anti-same sex marriage groups with gen-u-ine victimhood bullets in her resume, indignant bloggers keeping her name in the news long after she would of sank from the public awareness, assuming the public would of been aware of her to begin with.  What do they say out there in Hollyweird, theres no bad publicity.

You could say its a sign of progress that an opinion like the one Miss Prejean expressed cost her the crown; ten years ago I doubt that would of been the case, though coming as I do from beauty pageant country, I doubt shes the only one out there, as the gals that go in for this in the first place tend to be pretty traditional. Howvere, any steps forward have been cancelled out by a more than a few steps back in the form of the vicious commentary from this Perez Hilton...creature, and of course the sadly predictable cattery from women everywhere, nothing like a good-looking gal the ladies dont like to bring those claws out.

Until this "scandal" I had no idea who Perez Hilton was. SO  I looked at about 3 pages of his "blog" and was amazed that there is an biological male out there that is nastier, bitchier, and cattier than all the commentary ever written on Governor Sarah Palin. In the Case of Gov. Palin, the hysteria is somewhat understandable in that she was in contention to become the second most powerful person on the planet. Carrie Prejean is a Damn beauty pageant contestant.  Her opinion, which she has a perfect right to, is the opinion of a class of women who think Oklahoma is the capital of Texas. Having been a beauty pageant contestant prbably predisposed people to dismiss Gov. Palin as a featherweight, fair or not. She likely cursed the day she put on the bathing suit.

I give a rats ass what Carrie Prejeans opinion is on same-sex marriage. This is not a powerful public figure, this is an opener of supermarkets. My reflexive response to women like her, fair or not, is a blonde joke. Im FAR more disturbed by an (alleged) man with blonde hair as fake as Miss Californias boobs, and boobs much larger than hers that are totally natural, who makes a living posting countless pages of nastiness and hate of celebrities to the point that hes a celebrity himself, and all of it while representing gay men everywhere. Miss California expresses her opinion against same-sex marriage, and Perez Hilton has a hysterical public shit fit while embodying every negative stereotype of gay men, and inventing a few new ones.

I dont agree with Carrie Prejean, it kinda goes without saying. But next to that freakshow Perez Hilton, she comes out a Damn sight better. I dont agree with her, but I actually feel sorry for her, he was just outta line. It is possible to make a point without going so far overboard you negate any credibilty you had. Dude makes Liberace look normal. I just wish there was some kind of injunction you could take out to bar someone from representing a given group.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #239 on: May 04, 2009, 08:20:08 am »
I dont agree with Carrie Prejean, it kinda goes without saying. But next to that freakshow Perez Hilton, she comes out a Damn sight better. I dont agree with her, but I actually feel sorry for her, he was just outta line. It is possible to make a point without going so far overboard you negate any credibilty you had. Dude makes Liberace look normal. I just wish there was some kind of injunction you could take out to bar someone from representing a given group.

As you can tell from the length of this thread Judge it all depends on your POV.  Perez's reaction to Miss CA isn't what caught my attention - since I usually ignore him anyway - her response is what caught my attention.  I don't feel one whit sorry for her, I don't believe Perez's response negated any credibility as a gay man - as has been pointed out several times in this thread, there are all kinds of gay people - we don't have to like the "type".  IMO Miss CA's response negated her credibility as someone who should be trying to be a Miss USA and negated her credibility as a decent human being.