Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 135237 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #290 on: May 05, 2009, 08:27:30 pm »
It is hard to take this post seriously. is there really anyone of credible posture who would compare the debate/discussion of 3000 year old marriage traditions to 21st century pop culture semi nude publicity photos? Oy vey.

I've been told 'God doesn't change'.  Take it up with the religious people Herr.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #291 on: May 05, 2009, 08:31:47 pm »
sorry deluvia, you are not using 'bigot' correctly relative to Ms Prejean. In fact, "A bigot is a person who is intolerant of or takes offense to the opinions, lifestyles or identities differing from his or her own" which clearly shows she is NOT the bigot...but you are the one who takes offense at and are intolerant of her opinion.  ;)

You left out the rest of the definition - from an earlier post:

Bigotry is focusing a hatred or dislike against a class of people for holding a belief different from one's own or for an innate quality they exhibit

That applies to disliking blacks for the color of their skin, Asians for having an epicanthic fold, and gays for having sexual desire for the same sex.  See also: intolerance

;D

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #292 on: May 05, 2009, 08:34:35 pm »
...the left wing liberals have jumped hook line and sinker on the bandwagon of attempting to ruin her.

"The left wing liberals"?  (You mean every one in the country?  Only a few?  No moderates?  No one else?)  Who is doing this exactly? 

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #293 on: May 05, 2009, 08:44:50 pm »
Patience is a virtue I do have....

delluvia, your selected definition only indicts you further. Ms Prejean had nothing negative to say about disliking or hating anyone; she simply stated her belief that marriage is male/female. In fact her words were quite similar to those used by Obama during his campaign, as well as joe biden. Are these men bigots, too?

I recommend you reconsider what bigotry really is and comes to grips with the reality that the bias and bigotry is coming from the side you support and targeted squarely against Ms Prejean.

And your selected piece of her opinion (and your definition!) indicts you, my man.  That's not all she said.  She included the little addendum that for her "country" as well as for herself, she believes that marriage should only be between a man and a woman.  That's bigotry right there.  And while you might not feel any dislike in the pride she took in wanting to deny gay people's civil rights, other people certainly do. 

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #294 on: May 05, 2009, 08:47:56 pm »
I'm glad you noted that phrase and quoted it. I deliberately used that terminology as a parallel to the frequently used "right wing conservatives" to define all those who have opinions that differ from the democrat party platform.

So you really didn't mean it then? That's cool, because I (as a left-wing liberal, or at least a moderate one) agree with her right to say what she thinks.  And I don't think it was technically fair to ask her a potentially inflammatory question if the other contestants got away with softball ones: the winner may agree with Prejean, but we'll never know; only Prejean had to field the question.  As for the nudie pictures — here in the internet age they would have come out anyway, whether or not their possessor is a "left-wing liberal".
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:06:50 pm by LauraGigs »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #295 on: May 05, 2009, 09:10:55 pm »
sorry delluvia, the circles you are spinning in are just not registering. If she "believes" in male/female marriage, that is an opinion. For you to hate and/or dislike her for that, you have defined bigotry by virtue of your own post.

So you're not going to comment on Miss CA's belief that some people don't deserve civil rights the same as her is a problem?

What distinction are you trying to make?  She gave her opinion that she believes that the only marriage the country should have is male/female.  What's not bigoted about that?

Prejean specifically stated she recognizes other opinions on the matter and knows there are differing views; your position, obviously, refuses to allow her the view she holds, and that is bigotry.

She said she was 'glad people have a choice' but she didn't really mean that since she just became a spokesperson for this marriage group to spearhead man/woman only marriage.

Again, she is being bigoted. 

And why do you conveniently not respond to the fact that Mr. Obama holds the same opinion as Ms Prejean?

Because no one brought it up?  Yep.  I'm unhappy with him about that.  Luckily he does believe in civil unions - I have my doubts about what Miss CA believes about that - and that wasn't the only reason I voted for him because McCain had a similar opinion about gays.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #296 on: May 05, 2009, 09:41:02 pm »
It helps any debate to be honest. Where did Prejean say "people don't deserve civil rights the same as her"? You made that up.

Are you being tediously literal on purpose?  What do you THINK she meant by saying marriage should only be between a man and a woman?

IIf giving an opinion that is different than your own makes one a bigot

And no one here has made this claim, so stop trying to make this something it's not.  It's not that she expressed her opinion.  She made it, no one is arguing that she shouldn't have been free to express her opinion.  It's what her opinion was that's at issue.

"she didn't really mean that..." You CAN'T be serious. this is getting laughable that now you are making up what Prejean really means based on your own biases. Wow.

Hmmm, she said she she was 'glad people have a choice'.  And now she's spokesperson for a group that wants to take choice away from gay people.  So are you saying that she can be glad that something exists while trying to take that same thing away at the same time? 

I brought Obama up twice.

Sorry Herr, guess I wasn't paying attention to your post.  ;D

All you can say is you're "unhappy" with him? Why not treat him the same way you are treating Prejean--call him a bigot, talk about what he "really" means when he refers to civil rights, etc.

For myself, because Obama is a politician.  And he didn't go to a fundamentalist Christian college.  So I'm willing to be 'unhappy with him' instead of outright outraged because chances are fairly good that his opinion on gay marriage was politically expedient.   Unlike Miss CA.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #297 on: May 05, 2009, 09:56:39 pm »
Obama has made no secret of the fact that he will throw the weight of the bully pulpit behind the repeal of DADT and DOMA and to support civil rights legislation across the board.  And that is a vastly different opinion from that of the National Organization for Marriage who believe that if gays get to marry then they'll spread gay all over little kids and teach them how to be gay.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

injest

« Reply #298 on: May 05, 2009, 11:18:53 pm »
So, that means, you didn't read that part?

Heh, Miss CA is not Catholic and PLEASE tell me you weren't just comparing a bimbo's half-naked model shots with  real ART.

I was being positive.  She's a bigot who needs to be criticized as much as possible so people like her don't keep trying to keep gays 'in their place'.  She tried to hide behind her religion, but now it seems her hypocrisy is making her piety a laughing stock.

so people like her? do you even realize how you sound? How is bigotry so wrong for her but not for you?

injest

« Reply #299 on: May 05, 2009, 11:19:54 pm »
But it sure has a lot about women being modest and being seen and not heard... 8)

aha!! so this has nothing to do with her comments about gay marriage. You are after her because she is a Christian...got it..