Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 136537 times)

injest

Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2009, 09:56:31 pm »
I notice she avoided the question that the previous Miss CA, an ordained pastor, told her she was wrong about the bible.  She skipped over that and went on to say she was 'true' to her faith.  She doesn't acknowledge at all she is wrong about her faith or what the bible says.

How embarrassing for her that her ignorance is showing.

I thought she did fine.

some people do not agree with same sex marriage...move on with your life...do you really think you are going to win any friends or change her mind by calling her foul names or ignorant?

I have been thinking about this today..seems the left sees the world in black and white...there is NO grey areas except about sex.....THERE they have ALL kinds of grey areas, it is all 'do whatever, whenever, with whoever anytime' it ain't nobodies business...

yet they wont' let a conservative even have the right to an unapproved opinion.

and they wonder why the people of California voted down Prop 8

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2009, 10:04:27 pm »
did you seriously? you went to the effort of looking up the word? do you do that for every word you use? you dont' think that is a little overboard for a casual conversation?

I am so glad I never went to one of the meetings, there is simply no way I could ever live up to the impossible standards

I actually did, but it wasn't specifically for the benefit of having a conversation with you, casual or otherwise.  I wanted to make sure that I had not called her tacky because that was not my intention and I did not my words twisted or misconstrued.  And I'm satisfied that I didn't call her tacky, despite your reply implying as much.  I said she lacked tact, which is completely different.

And I still say that she lacked tact.  Tactful people are able to provide non-answers to direct questions and thereby not offend anyone, at which she failed miserably.  This does not mean she is a bad person - of course she has the right to her own opinions, bigoted and misguided as they are.  But it won't get her very far in a world where tact and diplomacy are helpful attributes.

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

karen1129

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2009, 10:05:14 pm »
Black and white?
 :laugh:

Pot......................

karen1129

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2009, 10:08:06 pm »
did you seriously? you went to the effort of looking up the word? do you do that for every word you use? you dont' think that is a little overboard for a casual conversation?

I am so glad I never went to one of the meetings, there is simply no way I could ever live up to the impossible standards

I thank you for that.

;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

injest

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2009, 10:08:59 pm »
I actually did, but it wasn't specifically for the benefit of having a conversation with you, casual or otherwise.  I wanted to make sure that I had not called her tacky because that was not my intention and I did not my words twisted or misconstrued.  And I'm satisfied that I didn't call her tacky, despite your reply implying as much.  I said she lacked tact, which is completely different.

And I still say that she lacked tact.  Tactful people are able to provide non-answers to direct questions and thereby not offend anyone, at which she failed miserably.  This does not mean she is a bad person - of course she has the right to her own opinions, bigoted and misguided as they are.  But it won't get her very far in a world where tact and diplomacy are helpful attributes.

I think her answer WAS polite and tactful. Too bad Perez got his panties in a wad but whatever! I think there are more important issues to deal with in the world. At least this kept him busy for a while, he obviously needs something.

injest

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2009, 10:10:48 pm »
to save time

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tactful

tact⋅ful   /ˈtæktfəl/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [takt-fuhl]  Show IPA
–adjective having or manifesting tact: a tactful person; a tactful reply. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1860–65; tact + -ful

Related forms:

tact⋅ful⋅ly, adverb
tact⋅ful⋅ness, noun

Synonyms:
See diplomatic.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2009, 10:37:15 pm »
I think it is a mistake to compare race with sexual orientation. (feel free to call me bigoted)

But I wasn't.  I was comparing civil rights to civil rights.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2009, 10:37:47 pm »
I have a truly serious question here:

How did Mario Lavandeira get to be a judge of the Miss USA pageant?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2009, 10:42:32 pm »
I thought she did fine.

some people do not agree with same sex marriage...move on with your life...do you really think you are going to win any friends or change her mind by calling her foul names or ignorant?

You gotta call ignorance what it is, Jess.  There's no way to sugarcoat bigotry and we shouldn't try.  I think if enough people say it and keep saying it, perhaps it will open some eyes at best or at worst, label bigotry as the ignorance that it is.

I have been thinking about this today..seems the left sees the world in black and white...there is NO grey areas except about sex.....THERE they have ALL kinds of grey areas, it is all 'do whatever, whenever, with whoever anytime' it ain't nobodies business...

yet they wont' let a conservative even have the right to an unapproved opinion.

When it comes to civil rights, Jess I totally agree with calling out anyone whenever there is an attempt to keep people from having them by trying to soft-sell it under the guise of as - oh, I don't know, a pretty blonde girl with a nice Christian upbringing, maybe?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2009, 10:53:07 pm »
I have a truly serious question here:

How did Mario Lavandeira get to be a judge of the Miss USA pageant?

:laugh: :laugh:

No serious questions allowed!