Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 135234 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2009, 08:39:00 pm »
Well while we are quoting the dictonary heres another one.....

opinion
2 entries found.

opinion

self–opinion

Main Entry: opin·ion  
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈpin-yən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin opinion-, opinio, from opinari
Date: 14th century
1 a: a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter b: approval, esteem
2 a: belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge b: a generally held view
3 a: a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert b: the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based
— opin·ioned  \-yənd\ adjective
synonyms opinion, view, belief, conviction, persuasion, sentiment mean a judgment one holds as true. opinion implies a conclusion thought out yet open to dispute <each expert seemed to have a different opinion>. view suggests a subjective opinion <very assertive in stating his views>. belief implies often deliberate acceptance and intellectual assent <a firm belief in her party's platform>. conviction applies to a firmly and seriously held belief <the conviction that animal life is as sacred as human>. persuasion suggests a belief grounded on assurance (as by evidence) of its truth <was of the persuasion that everything changes>. sentiment suggests a settled opinion reflective of one's feelings <her feminist sentiments are well-known>.

I dont see the word bigot anwhere in here....I do see, belief, and that in my opinion is where her answer comes from.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2009, 08:39:58 pm »
How do you figure?  If she said the same thing about black people would you still think she wasn't being a bigot?

It's just that simple.  Replace gay people with blacks or Jews or any ethnicity of your choice and let me know what you think.

No one is a bigot for honestly expressing their opinions.  But their opinions can certainly make them a bigot.

Very well stated Del.  Nice post.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2009, 08:50:58 pm »
I think that I might split hairs on this discussion about bigotry.

I would definitely characterize her statement as bigoted.

That said, though, she is young, and if she's anything like I was at that age, she still believes the mullarkey she's been spoon-fed her whole life by her parents, the church, society, etc.  To call her a bigot is pretty harsh for someone who I doubt has learned to actually think for herself yet.

Let's check back in with her with she's 30 or 40, see if this was a learning experience.

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2009, 09:03:34 pm »
I think that I might split hairs on this discussion about bigotry.

I would definitely characterize her statement as bigoted.

That said, though, she is young, and if she's anything like I was at that age, she still believes the mullarkey she's been spoon-fed her whole life by her parents, the church, society, etc.  To call her a bigot is pretty harsh for someone who I doubt has learned to actually think for herself yet.

Let's check back in with her with she's 30 or 40, see if this was a learning experience.

or will the incredibly harsh overreacting of some people make her believe what her parents, church, etc were correct?

if Perez had had any class at all...and instead called her on it in an intelligent rational manner; how much more likely would she have been to listen? the overreaction of Perez and his ilk, drives moderates away and confirms the stereotypes the true bigots hold.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2009, 09:09:24 pm »
or will the incredibly harsh overreacting of some people make her believe what her parents, church, etc were correct?

if Perez had had any class at all...and instead called her on it in an intelligent rational manner; how much more likely would she have been to listen? the overreaction of Perez and his ilk, drives moderates away and confirms the stereotypes the true bigots hold.

Yes I was thinking along the same lines........Perez has probably done more harm to the cause than she would have.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2009, 09:09:52 pm »
Well she has come out several times and said she was just being honest, and so I have no reason to doubt her honesty and thus the fact that she is indeed, a bigot.

It already is a hard process Bill.  She doesn't have any reasonable understanding of why she believes what she believes.  They are all based on her religious beliefs - which, as that pastor pointed out - are already skewed.  Her brand of religion teaches her that gay people are abominations and thus are not 'normal' people.  Thus, she feels that only what is normal is what should be allowed.

This isn't anything you can reason with.  She has to make the decision to overcome her learned bigotry or she will continue to hold onto these beliefs, illogical though they are.

again, and again you and others make assumptions about Ms Prejean. Talk about "rush to judgement"!

I am looking for the rhetorical "smoking gun" that tells me she is the bigot that several people have agreed that she is - and I can't find it.

If she is not in favor of same sex marriage, that means that I disagree with her, but it doesn't make her a bigot.

If she holds gays up to derision and scorn, a la radio talk show host Michael Savage who also opposes same sex marriage, then she would be a bigot.

Until then I will make the assumption that she does not understand that a discussion of same sex marriage is really a discussion of civil rights, and I will assume that she can be witnessed to and her heart changed. I could be wrong and fail, but assuming that she is a bigot guarantees failure.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2009, 09:11:51 pm »

Very well stated Jess.  Nice post.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2009, 09:12:58 pm »
Good that she lost!

maybe she will now open her heart to humanity...

yes or no...

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2009, 01:33:28 pm »
How do you figure?  If she said the same thing about black people would you still think she wasn't being a bigot?

It's just that simple.  Replace gay people with blacks or Jews or any ethnicity of your choice and let me know what you think.

No one is a bigot for honestly expressing their opinions.  But their opinions can certainly make them a bigot.

It IS just that simple.  For reasonable thinking people anyway... ;)

I just want to say how impressed I am with your amazing patience, Del.  I get way too emotional dealing with the right,  while reading this thread I must have started three replies that I'm sure if I had posted them, they would have been deleted and gotten me banned from the forum.

I can't believe that people are defending religious homophobia on a BbM forum.  :o 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2009, 01:39:19 pm »
:laugh: :laugh:

No serious questions allowed!

hahahahah.  Seriously, everybody knows Mario, and everyone should have assumed that he was going to ask a question about gay marriage.  Considering how much of a big news item it has been.  The problem is that SOMEBODY didn't coach Miss California in a more politically correct answer and she went with her Bible - er, gut.

Is she a bigot?  Only to the extent that fundamentalist Christians don't believe in civil rights for gays, and she happens to be one of them.  Maybe her previous pageants didn't reveal the fact that she belongs to an intolerant minority group, but chances are something was going to trip her up if she started Bible thumping at an inconvenient moment.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”