Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 137369 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #190 on: May 02, 2009, 03:33:21 pm »
Shouldn't judges be impartial? I don't think Perez Hilton was. I blame the pageant officials.

Impartial to what?  The Miss USA contest is looking for someone to represent the USA (and their sponsors) and go on to compete in Miss Universe, representing the USA.  They have standards by which they judge each contestant to be worthy of this.  Perhaps bigotry isn't high on their list of traits they want in a Miss USA and they - being the judges with the support of their sponsors - are the ones who decide what they want.  That is their perogative.  A beauty pageant isn't a democracy.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #191 on: May 02, 2009, 03:53:56 pm »
Impartial to what?  The Miss USA contest is looking for someone to represent the USA (and their sponsors) and go on to compete in Miss Universe, representing the USA.  They have standards by which they judge each contestant to be worthy of this.  Perhaps bigotry isn't high on their list of traits they want in a Miss USA and they - being the judges with the support of their sponsors - are the ones who decide what they want.  That is their perogative.  A beauty pageant isn't a democracy.

But for a pageant judge to say that a contestant lost because she's a dumb bitch? That isn't a good judge, IMO. Pageant officials should at least pick a judge who has a little discretion---one who can keep his/her mouth shut.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #192 on: May 02, 2009, 04:01:16 pm »
Didn't they both choose their own course of action?

I don't understand blaming Perez Hilton for  Prejean's actions and not holding Prejean responsible for Hilton's actions.

Did either force the other to make their responses?

Didn't both have cause to be angry?

Either both of these people are each responsible for their own actions or neither is.

no, I dont' think so...as I pointed out, Ms Prejean did not attack Mr Lavandeira.

HE however DID attack her.

entirely different situation...and context is everything.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #193 on: May 02, 2009, 04:01:48 pm »
But for a pageant judge to say that a contestant lost because she's a dumb bitch?

:laugh:  I don't think that's the total reason that Perez believes she lost.  Otherwise, how many other contestants in a beauty pageant might fit that description?  :laugh:

That isn't a good judge, IMO. Pageant officials should at least pick a judge who has a little discretion---one who can keep his/her mouth shut.[/b][/color]

We have yet to figure out how he became a judge in the first place, but remember, he didn't make his comments until after the contest was over.  He was quiet about it until then.  How much discretion do you want?

injest

« Reply #194 on: May 02, 2009, 04:02:15 pm »

no one is saying she should have been awarded the crown.

but I am saying she should not have been attacked as she was.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #195 on: May 02, 2009, 04:03:40 pm »
no one is saying she should have been awarded the crown.

but I am saying she should not have been attacked as she was.

Some people get very angry at bigots.  You can't keep people from being angry and lashing out at them verbally.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #196 on: May 02, 2009, 04:04:32 pm »

I think at least as large an issue is that the Miss California pageant funded her new chicken cutlets to "enhance" her chances in the Miss USA contest.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2009, 04:10:00 pm »
I think at least as large an issue is that the Miss California pageant funded her new chicken cutlets to "enhance" her chances in the Miss USA contest.

That was an interesting factoid.  Reminds me of the upper-scale topless joints who make this offer to their top dancers...

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #198 on: May 02, 2009, 04:15:17 pm »
no, I dont' think so...as I pointed out, Ms Prejean did not attack Mr Lavandeira.

HE however DID attack her.

entirely different situation...and context is everything.

I consider someone trying to deny me rights an attack.

Being pleasant and cheerful about it seems to me just that much more cavalier and cold blooded.  If I'm stabbed in the back, it doesn't make it any more pleasant if it's done with a smile.  In some ways it makes it that much more heinous.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #199 on: May 02, 2009, 04:19:10 pm »
I consider someone trying to deny me rights an attack.

Being pleasant and cheerful about it seems to me just that much more cavalier and cold blooded.  If I'm stabbed in the back, it doesn't make it any more pleasant if it's done with a smile.  In some ways it makes it that much more heinous.

Agree.