Author Topic: Sr/Jr ranch hand  (Read 5286 times)

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Sr/Jr ranch hand
« on: July 29, 2006, 01:05:29 am »
I usually read the profiles of some of these postings and see, as "position"  Jr. Ranch Hand and sometimes Sr. Ranch Hand.  Would someone mind telling me what that means?

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Sr/Jr ranch hand
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 05:28:10 am »
Hi 2robots4u, this refers to the number of posts the member has made.  There are categories for the ranges of the numbers, I might get these a little wrong (someone will correct me):

< 10 posts = tourist
          10 - 49 posts = Jr Ranch Hand
          50 - 149 = Sr. Ranch Hand
          150 - 249 = Brokeback Mountain Resident
          250 - 999 = Brokeback Got Me Good
          1000+ = BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club

There are others that I'm not sure of like "Finish the Story" Award Winner, someone will fill us in on these I'm sure.

Any Mod is welcome to edit this post for corrections or additions.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 07:01:38 am by Aussie Chris »
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • BBM - The Steven edition
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 05:35:31 am »
So, when I post a completely spurious reply like this one, I get to get one step closer to being a senior!  :D
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 06:49:53 am »
Brokeback Got Me Good is at 250.... I know that one. Or a significant amount of posts before 500, anyway... I think it's 250.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 07:04:37 am »
So, when I post a completely spurious reply like this one, I get to get one step closer to being a senior!  :D

Indeed it does!  Don't worry, that thought occurs to us all at some point.

Brokeback Got Me Good is at 250.... I know that one. Or a significant amount of posts before 500, anyway... I think it's 250.

Thanks Daniel, I editted my post to reflect this.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 02:36:26 am »
Chris..I will ask this question of you, but if anyone else wants to reply, I will accept all the help offered.

Being new to the web site, I see highlighted yellow boxes that indicated quotes from other postings.  How do I move a quote by you into my response to your post?  I am not a computer "geek" either, so give it to me in layman's terms.  I do a lot of exploring in this site, but haven't figured out a lot of it yet.

And by the way, where in Australia do you live?  I spent 10 days there about 20 years ago, Melbourne and the surrounding gold country, drove north to Canberra with side trips to Wagga Wagga (a very nice little town, and a place I had always wanted to see after watching a Popeye cartoon about a sheep station there) and Gundaghi (sp), across the Snowy Mts and up the coast to Sydney, all over the Blue Mts, and of corse the kangaroon and koala farms.  Would love to go back before I call it quits.

Thanks for your help...DR 

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 07:02:26 am »

Ja, ik wil ook meedoen!!!!! Ik wil Brokeback Got me Good!

oops, sorry that was in Dutch, I am going out of my MIND!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 07:30:39 am »
Being new to the web site, I see highlighted yellow boxes that indicated quotes from other postings.  How do I move a quote by you into my response to your post?  I am not a computer "geek" either, so give it to me in layman's terms.  I do a lot of exploring in this site, but haven't figured out a lot of it yet.

Sure thing 2robots4u, no problem.  There are a couple of ways of doing it, but lets say that you are reading someone else's post and you want to reply to it with a quote.  You've already worked out that you can click the <reply> button to add a new message to a topic (you did this just to ask this question), but you can also quote a message by looking just above the post you wish to quote, on the right hand side there are one or more buttons, including one called <quote>.  If you click this button a reply message will be opened just as it does when you clicked <reply>, but this time the edit window will include the other post's text in it.  It will look something like this (note that the curly-braces you see in this example are really meant to be square brackets but you can't use square ones in a message):

{quote [email protected] link=topic=3549.msg69555#msg69555 date=1154673386}
Chris..I will ask this question of you, but if anyone else wants to reply, I will accept all the help offered.
{/quote}

Everything between the first {quote...} and the {/quote} (these are called markers) will appear in a yellow quote box when the message is posted.  All you then have to do is write your message either before or after the markers.

If you click the <quote> button above this message (yes right now), you will see the text of this message, but also you will see that the underlining I used in this message was achieved with {u} and {/u} around the words I wanted to underline.  It might seem a little confusing at first but you'll get used to this quite quickly, and then it will become second nature in no time.

Ok, that should get you started.  There are quicker ways of quoting and also other fancy things like underlining that can be done after starting a message, but I don't want to confuse you or give you too many things to think about in one go.  So when you've had a go and are ready to try a few more things (like splitting the original post into separate bits like I've done in this reply) then let me know, and we'll continue.

One more thing though, when your quoting other people, it's usually good etiquette to trim the quoted message so you don't end up repeating the entire message.  In the case of this reply I trimmed the start of the message so it only had the part that contained your question.  It's just a curtesy for the other readers.  And another important tip: make sure you use the <preview> button to make sure your happy with how your message looks before clicking <post>!

And by the way, where in Australia do you live?  I spent 10 days there about 20 years ago, Melbourne and the surrounding gold country, drove north to Canberra with side trips to Wagga Wagga (a very nice little town, and a place I had always wanted to see after watching a Popeye cartoon about a sheep station there) and Gundaghi (sp), across the Snowy Mts and up the coast to Sydney, all over the Blue Mts, and of corse the kangaroon and koala farms.  Would love to go back before I call it quits.

Cool!  Originally I was born in Adelaide (South Australia) but I've lived in Melbourne for the last 17 years.  Melbourne is still my favourite city because it is the most multicultural and cosmopolitan, although I still have a soft spot for the old home town.  Did you mean Gungadi in NSW?  Well your travels certainly took you through some spectacular country, I'm sure we'd love to have you again.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 01:08:29 pm »
Chris...thanks very much for the info.  I will play with it a while before I actually use it.

My spelling of "Gundaghi" and yours of "Gungadi" caused me to consult my World Atlas to make sure we were referring to the same place, spelled "Gundagai" in the atlas, on the Murrumbidgee River....love those Aboriginal names.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 07:18:04 pm »
My spelling of "Gundaghi" and yours of "Gungadi" caused me to consult my World Atlas to make sure we were referring to the same place, spelled "Gundagai" in the atlas, on the Murrumbidgee River....love those Aboriginal names.

*chuckles* No worries.  To be honest, I just googled it myself, and the spelling I used came up in a bush telegraph article.  Actually, on closer inspection we both had it wrong, although yours was phonetically closest (it was the 'h' that threw me).  The correct spelling is Gundagai, pronounced gun-da-guy.  Here's a link to the NSW travel guide: http://walkabout.com.au/locations/NSWGundagai.shtml.