Author Topic: A Few of Our Favorite Things  (Read 70214 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: A Few of Our Favorite Things
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2009, 04:18:54 am »
This little dinner bell has a memory or two for me. I'm not really certain how old it is. I know it is AT LEAST as old as I am.

I first watched "It's A Wonderful Life" when I was very young, and I always remembered the line - "every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings". So every time I went past this little bell I'd ring it over and over again hoping to give another angel his wings. \

The bell has 1944 stamped inside of it and nothing else. I don't know if that is a date or a mold number.

Awwwww what a lovely thought to have in your mind when you rang that bell.

You were a sweetie then as you are now.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2009, 05:59:34 am »
Ok, I have dusted off some of the Meißner stuff. Here are the pics:

My two china cabinets. I didn't have the time to dust everything off, including cabinets.  :P
I have more of the stuff than I can properly display, therefore some plates are piled with cloth between them, so they won't get chipped. Doesn't look too nice, but serves the prupose. The elephant and the blue cup are not Meißner.

The biggest piece in my collection. You can see in the right pic above that it's a bigger than the other plates, it's in the top shelf, middle place. It's also very heavy. The saying in my family goes that it's also the oldest and most expensive piece. Of course I wasn't allowed to touch it when I was a kid (neither are my kids now).

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2009, 06:08:41 am »
Some vases and a soup cup (I think it's a soup cup).
Sadly, the vase to the right is broken; the snout broke off and was glued together by my father. But luckily this is the only broken piece.

Some plates

Details of the plate to the right. It has flowers and insects on it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2009, 06:13:33 am »

Detail of the cup. The handle is a swan.

Detail of the broken vase. Also with swan handle.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2009, 06:20:53 am »
The underside of some plates. The crossed swords emblem varies through the different decades. There a books specifically about the Meißen emblems, to date the pieces.

(I should have cut out the emblem before uploading the pics. But when I post them in smaller size now you don't see the difference in the swords.)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2009, 06:22:30 am »
Oh Chrissi they are beautiful.

Love the ones with the swan handles....how unique is that.

The colours and the gorgeous little flowers and butterflys.....I love them.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2009, 06:25:36 am »
My favorites of the collection. I have always loved cobalt blue.

Detail of the left plate

Detail of the plate to the right

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2009, 07:17:03 am »
Oh Chrissi they are beautiful.

Love the ones with the swan handles....how unique is that.

The colours and the gorgeous little flowers and butterflys.....I love them.

Thank you Sue :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2009, 09:23:04 am »
The underside of some plates. The crossed swords emblem varies through the different decades. There a books specifically about the Meißen emblems, to date the pieces.

OMG!  It's REAL Meißen!!! It's so beautiful, Chrissi. It must be worth a fortune. You have such a large collection. You're a rich woman! I know from the TV program, "Antiques Roadshow," that Meißen is worth big  bucks! Like thousands  of dollars! And the fact that it was smuggled out of East Germany would add even more value at auction. How's the best way for an English speaker to pronounce Meißen, Chrissi? Is it My-sen  or My-zen?  Or am I totally wrong and it's pronounced some other way entirely? (I'm not a German speaker)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2009, 10:13:14 am »
OMG!  It's REAL Meißen!!!

Yes of course it's real Meißen, lol. When I say Meißen, I mean it.

It's so beautiful, Chrissi. It must be worth a fortune. You have such a large collection. You're a rich woman! I know from the TV program, "Antiques Roadshow," that Meißen is worth big  bucks! Like thousands  of dollars! And the fact that it was smuggled out of East Germany would add even more value at auction.

Thousands? Are you kidding me? Or are the prices for Meißner down under that much higher? AFAIK, the prizes for single pieces and place covers (plate, cup and saucer as a set) are in the lower hundreds here (Euros). If you want to reach the dimension of thousands, you'd need to have a complete service. Or maybe a very, very rare and old special piece. And I doubt that one of mine belongs in that category.
So yes, if I sold everything, it would bring quite some bucks, that's right. But far (very, very far) from being enough to become rich.  :laugh:

How's the best way for an English speaker to pronounce Meißen, Chrissi? Is it My-sen  or My-zen?  Or am I totally wrong and it's pronounced some other way entirely? (I'm not a German speaker)

My-zen would be good. Actually the letter ß is an Es-Zet, somewhere between s and z.