Author Topic: Pick Your Favorite Donuts  (Read 87517 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Pick Your Favorite Donuts
« on: April 26, 2009, 09:22:41 pm »
Hey there, Friends,

It's been noted that since being back in Boston, I've become a regular Dunkin Donut patron at the location next door to my hotel!

My donut habit is probably not really a surprise, I know, but serious crayons had an idea for a poll about our favorite donuts!

She and Paul (southendmd) have been making suggestions, and I'm trying something new almost every day...tomorrow is French Cruller Day.

So above is a listing of all the Dunkin Donut flavors that I found on their website:

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/nutrition/ProductList.aspx?category=Donuts

I know that DD isn't the only name in the donut business, but I think a lot of the flavors are close or similar.

For instance, Krispy Kreme is very big in the South - I liked their regular glazed and their lemon filled.  So for the Jelly Filled Donut option, I ask you to specify the filling.

Another odd thing is that the DD site doesn't mention jimmies, so if you like yours with sprinkles, feel free to add comments and pictures.

Also Honey Dew seems to be another donut brand up here.

Have fun!
 8)

(Here's a cherry donut...wonder where you get those?!)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Pick Your Favorite Donuts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:44:12 pm »
I voted for 5 different varities.

Chocolate Kreme filled, Vanilla Kreme filled, Double Chocolate cake, Strawberry frosted, and "other".

The other was a new variety that was introduced last summer as a special limited time flavor, it may be back in summer, Key Lime Pie.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 09:46:46 pm »
Hi Lynne,

Fun poll bud!  I love donuts, so I'd be happy to eat any of the donuts on the list.  But, I do have some favorites.  I love basic glazed donuts and vanilla cream donuts.  I tend to prefer regular donuts over cake donuts (although I do like cake donuts well enough).  And, I'm more of a vanilla girl than a chocolate girl as a general rule (but there are exceptions to this... and I often like a touch of chocolate rather than a ton of chocolate in a recipe).  I voted for apple spice, French cruller, Boston Kreme (love it!), and marble frosted... in addition to glazed and vanilla cream.  I remember a flavor in the past that involved toasted coconut on a vanilla donut, which I used to love.  I wonder if they discontinued it.  I don't really remember what it was called.

I just went back and added  a vote for "other"- fancy pastries (eclairs, fritters, croissants).  I love all of those things. :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

injest

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:55:14 pm »
glazed. plain.

dont' be gussying up my donuts

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 09:59:47 pm »
I voted for 5 different varities.

Chocolate Kreme filled, Vanilla Kreme filled, Double Chocolate cake, Strawberry frosted, and "other".

The other was a new variety that was introduced last summer as a special limited time flavor, it may be back in summer, Key Lime Pie.

That sounds yummy, Chuck!  I imagine that they rotate several flavors seasonally, like the Pumpkin.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 10:00:36 pm »
glazed. plain.

dont' be gussying up my donuts

:laugh: :laugh:  I hear you.  I like some a little bit fancy, but I draw the line at jimmies or sprinkles!   ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 10:03:00 pm »
Great idea, Lynne - now I'm craving a donut!  My favorite donuts are probably the old-fashioned ones that you get at the ciders mills in the fall, either plain or dipped in cinammon-sugar.  Extra points if they're still warm. 

You've brought back a great memory from my college days (when I could eat anything I wanted and it had no affect on my hips  :-\). There was a lovely woman who ran a fresh donut stand in the student union.  She basically made old-fashioned donuts and then, while they were still hot, dipped just the tops with your choice of either chocolate, vanilla or strawberry frosting.  You could also choose chopped nuts or jimmies.   Hands-down the best donuts I've ever had, and she always had students lined up! 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 10:05:06 pm »
I may be adding the French Cruller tomorrow, but so far I have

Blueberry Cake - thanks Katherine!
Boston Kreme
Chocolate Frosted
Chocolate Glazed Cake
Glazed
Jelly Filled, rasperry or lemon
Powdered Cake (the white powdered sugar kind)
Other fancy pastries - I am addicted to croissants, though I don't favor the sweet ones - just butter croissants or Au Bon Pain has an amazing spinach croissant I get whenever I run across one
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 10:08:20 pm »
Great idea, Lynne - now I'm craving a donut!  My favorite donuts are probably the old-fashioned ones that you get at the ciders mills in the fall, either plain or dipped in cinammon-sugar.  Extra points if they're still warm. 

You've brought back a great memory from my college days (when I could eat anything I wanted and it had no affect on my hips  :-\). There was a lovely woman who ran a fresh donut stand in the student union.  She basically made old-fashioned donuts and then, while they were still hot, dipped just the tops with your choice of either chocolate, vanilla or strawberry frosting.  You could also choose chopped nuts or jimmies.   Hands-down the best donuts I've ever had, and she always had students lined up!

Very neat observation, Marie, about them being terrific if they're still warm!  That's one of the 'selling-points' at Krispy Kreme is that they have a neon sign they turn on when the donuts are 'Hot and Fresh', meaning just out of the oven.

Thanks for sharing that story about your college days!  I'm loving the idea of the old-fashioned dipped donuts.  I'd wait in line for a chocolate-dipped donut, definitely.  I'm going to worry about hips in another week or two.   ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 10:13:07 pm »
I am not a fancy or a complicated person. I like the glazed donuts. The yeast ones. When I worked at Mr. Donut we called them "Honey Dipped".

My blood sugar went up 30 points just from reading this thread! :laugh:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.